U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:51 AM

7,311 posts, read 4,960,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Can't speak for others, but no, I don't have anything against him today for whatever he did or didn't do as a child 50 years ago.

What makes this story interesting to me is that today, as an adult, he is upset that people are claiming he was not a violent child. Personally, I would be relieved to hear that my childish behavior was innocuous and that I had overblown in my memory the bad things I thought did!

I agree that his out-of-Compton story is inspiring. And would be inspiring whether or not he actually tried to hit his mother with a hammer. But his temper tantrums over whether he was a violent kid or not are not very reassuring for his presidential ambitions. Any president makes mistakes with serious consequences. Will we have to watch him melt down every time he is called out for making such a mistake? And pat him on the back saying "there, there" for some unspecified amount of time until he gets his act together and puts his grown-up pants on and deals with the consequences?
He is taking their bait and doesn't know how to navigate the media like a seasoned politician. This comes with time. People need to take note that it's actually a good thing not to be a skilled liar and defend one's honor. But I agree, he's been put in the bizarre position of having to prove he was a violent child. It just doesn't look good either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 09:51 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,459,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Why are you stuck on this? The moral of the story is that he turned his life around.

You guys act as if he goes around striking people with hammers his entire adult life. He didn't even do it once.

Try to put it into perspective and receive the story in the spirit it was written. Overcoming circumstances and changing for the better.
He is running on nothing but his personal history. Why wouldn't people question that history?

Old 11-11-2015, 10:10 AM

19,185 posts, read 15,041,276 times
Default "Reality Check" - Ben Carson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKILpSVR-A4 I thought this was interesting. So much is in the "details" like with asking 9 students from his school. You can even go with the flow and refuse to hear the truth or not.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:15 AM

4,047 posts, read 2,695,427 times
Great video!

Old 11-11-2015, 10:28 AM

25,235 posts, read 14,062,226 times
The Reality Check is that Carson does not stand a chance in Hades of getting the GOP nomination and never did, in the end it will not be Carson or Trump that gets the nomination, watch and learn.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:43 AM

4,047 posts, read 2,695,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The Reality Check is that Carson does not stand a chance in Hades of getting the GOP nomination and never did, in the end it will not be Carson or Trump that gets the nomination, watch and learn.
OK, fair enough, but why drag the name's man through the mud in the process?

Old 11-11-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
OK, fair enough, but why drag the name's man through the mud in the process?
I don't think that for the most part that is what is occurring, but when someone is running for President and they make claims about their background they should expect that others will look into those claims and if they become suspect then they will be used against them by those that oppose them. In other words it goes with the territory.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:04 AM

30,122 posts, read 16,639,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Can't speak for others, but no, I don't have anything against him today for whatever he did or didn't do as a child 50 years ago.

What makes this story interesting to me is that today, as an adult, he is upset that people are claiming he was not a violent child. Personally, I would be relieved to hear that my childish behavior was innocuous and that I had overblown in my memory the bad things I thought did!

I agree that his out-of-Compton story is inspiring. And would be inspiring whether or not he actually tried to hit his mother with a hammer. But his temper tantrums over whether he was a violent kid or not are not very reassuring for his presidential ambitions. Any president makes mistakes with serious consequences. Will we have to watch him melt down every time he is called out for making such a mistake? And pat him on the back saying "there, there" for some unspecified amount of time until he gets his act together and puts his grown-up pants on and deals with the consequences?
Like many surgeons that I have known; he has been surrounded for years by people who wouldn't dare question him. This is why he cannot handle it.

His melt down was embarrassing to him and all the other candidates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
He is running on nothing but his personal history. Why wouldn't people question that history?
Of course they should. He acts like the media has never vetted anyone before. Only HE gets his past looked into and we know how false that is.

But, but , but the big bad MEDIA is his only answer. Why doesn't he just say; hey, I embellished some stuff. It does help sell books.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Who cares? I love how deeply many of you hypocrites want to delve into Carson's past after giving Obama a complete pass on his.
Hmmm, yet you want to give Carson a pass while having delved into Obamas past for nearly eight years, and I wonder if you see nothing wrong with that, is it because the shoe was on the other foot?

Old 11-11-2015, 11:13 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,459,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Like many surgeons that I have known; he has been surrounded for years by people who wouldn't dare question him. This is why he cannot handle it.

His melt down was embarrassing to him and all the other candidates.

Of course they should. He acts like the media has never vetted anyone before. Only HE gets his past looked into and we know how false that is.

But, but , but the big bad MEDIA is his only answer. Why doesn't he just say; hey, I embellished some stuff. It does help sell books.
Exactly! Few would have a problem with it if he said that it was to spice up a book. Even the dates of the "scholarship" issue aren't a big deal because dates can get fuzzy over time. But what is the big deal with being questioned on your own words? It's not like he has any political record to run on, all we have is what he has said about himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or