U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 11:14 AM

20,327 posts, read 10,402,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Hmmm, yet you want to give Carson a pass while having delved into Obamas past for nearly eight years, and I wonder if you see nothing wrong with that, is it because the shoe was on the other foot?
They investigated Obamas birth announcement and 3rd grade teacher. Yet questioning Carsons own words is some vast media conspiracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 11:17 AM

14,672 posts, read 10,561,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
If wasn't actually a bad kid, then he turned his life around far less than he says he did.
He was a black male child of a single mother raised in Detroit during the 50's and 60's. However he managed to find his way out that dead end is inspiring, regardless of the specifics. He didn't have to be a bad kid to turn his life around, he just had to succeed. When he graduated high school in the late 60's there was no affirmative action - everything he got, he earned.

There are plenty of philophospical and political views you can fault the man for, the story of his life is not.
When I post in bold red that is moderator action and, per the TOS, can only be discussed through Direct Message.Moderator - Asia, Arkansas (w/ subforums), Kentucky (w/ subforums), Military Life, and P&OC

Old 11-11-2015, 11:19 AM

25,235 posts, read 14,005,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
They investigated Obamas birth announcement and 3rd grade teacher. Yet questioning Carsons own words is some vast media conspiracy.
Sadly, Hypocrisy is common in the US Politics.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:20 AM

25,235 posts, read 14,005,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
He was a black male child of a single mother raised in Detroit during the 50's and 60's. However he managed to find his way out that dead end is inspiring, regardless of the specifics. He didn't have to be a bad kid to turn his life around, he just had to succeed. When he graduated high school in the late 60's there was no affirmative action - everything he got, he earned.

There are plenty of philophospical and political views you can fault the man for, the story of his life is not one of them.
Except when they feel the need to embellish those accomplishments with untruths

Old 11-11-2015, 11:29 AM

20,327 posts, read 10,402,765 times
Quote:

There are plenty of philophospical and political views you can fault the man for, the story of his life is not.
But a story that says "I was raised by a single mom, we were poor, and I worked hard to become a great surgeon." wouldn't sell many books.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:31 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,297,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I've been trying to think whether I've ever seen anything weirder in a presidential campaign, and all I can come up with is Lyndon Larouche. And he was never a front-runner.
Larouche wouldn't even make the nutcase cut in this field.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:39 AM

14,672 posts, read 10,561,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Except when they feel the need to embellish those accomplishments with untruths
He isn't a neurosurgeon? He didn't come up with a new way to control seizures?

I just want to emphasis a couple of things as a teacher - I have had a couple of very well-behaved students, who you barely even knew were at school, they were so quiet and under the radar, and who did academically well who ended up killing someone in their family. You do not know what goes on in someone's home. You just don't. Also, two people often experience the same event, tell two totally different stories about it and neither is lying and both are telling the truth. It is simply a matter of seeing the same thing through different eyes, proccessing the events differently, and/or having different things stand out that sear into their memory.

No one wants events that were a very painful memory for them, especially ones they think altered their life, dismissed by others as untrue. They may not have remembered the events clearly after time has elapsed, but they do remember the way it felt.

I give him a pass on this, just like I do Obama and his stories of his mother's insurances woes when she was dying. The pain is the pain, and overshadows the specifics.
When I post in bold red that is moderator action and, per the TOS, can only be discussed through Direct Message.Moderator - Asia, Arkansas (w/ subforums), Kentucky (w/ subforums), Military Life, and P&OC

Old 11-11-2015, 11:45 AM

23,236 posts, read 11,481,170 times
Quote:
How about this, can we all just agree that he didn't grow up in the best of circumstances? Regardless of who threw the hammer, it is amazing that he managed to transform his less than wonderful childhood into a good, productive adult life for himself.
We can agree on that, heck, we can agree that the entire investigation into these aspects of the book are stupid. Im sure if I wrote a book on my life story I would use composite characters as to not offend anyone or hurt them, especially since some of that stuff in Carson's book happened 40 years ago.

The problem arises that we still have multiple threads on Barack Obama's "real father" that get bumped once a month, threads on oh his church and pastor and so on.

the argument seems to fall on political lines when it comes to who's past it is ok to scrutinize.

Last edited by dsjj251; 11-11-2015 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-11-2015, 11:57 AM

34,602 posts, read 33,594,975 times
I'm just glad he wasn't a dentist.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:58 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,347,798 times
Quote:
He isn't a neurosurgeon? He didn't come up with a new way to control seizures?
He did. The man's actual true story that's coming to light is inspiring and should be enough. A bookish kid from an impoverished low opportunity background worked hard, did well and became a groundbreaking neurosurgeon. That's a great story! But for some reason he's decided that a seemingly made-up redemption tale of a hardened dangerous thug turned super-Christian surgeon is better.

It's just all so very strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or