U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 02:31 PM

40,106 posts, read 24,350,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
He was a black male child of a single mother raised in Detroit during the 50's and 60's. However he managed to find his way out that dead end is inspiring, regardless of the specifics. He didn't have to be a bad kid to turn his life around, he just had to succeed. When he graduated high school in the late 60's there was no affirmative action - everything he got, he earned.

There are plenty of philophospical and political views you can fault the man for, the story of his life is not.
Affirmative action did exist in the late 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 03:08 PM

14,729 posts, read 10,622,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Affirmative action did exist in the late 60's.
If it was, it was very, very limited. I suppose it could have been in its infancy, but there certainly wasn't widespread knowledge about it. I say this as a person who was living through that time and would have been eligible for it.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:35 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,871,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If it was, it was very, very limited. I suppose it could have been in its infancy, but there certainly wasn't widespread knowledge about it. I say this as a person who was living through that time and would have been eligible for it.
Affirmative Action started with Kennedy and was expanded significantly by Johnson.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:58 PM

14,729 posts, read 10,622,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Affirmative Action started with Kennedy and was expanded significantly by Johnson.
Doesn't mean it was widespread or that it was applied in colleges. Depending on where you were, it only meant no one was allowed to tell you you weren't receiving something because of your color. It really wasn't until the mid-70's that affirmative action really started making an impact.

Again, I lived through that time period and would have been directly impacted by it.

But.... This is starting to get off-topic, so this is it for me on the subject unless there is a thread on it.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:03 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,689,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry, what has she done to make "republicans" upset?
She has been keeping interest rates artificially low. If you watched the debate last night, she was panned for that a few times.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:04 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,689,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Gee, I didn't know Donald Trump is a leftie...
Well... based on his past viewpoints on economic and social policy, he really is a leftie.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:27 PM

78,860 posts, read 33,547,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
She has been keeping interest rates artificially low. If you watched the debate last night, she was panned for that a few times.
By those who have promoted low rates for years?

Old 11-11-2015, 04:28 PM

18,158 posts, read 10,136,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
name calling, mud slinging and demoralizing candidates is all the left knows how to do.
And you thought we weren't paying attention to the campaigns engineered by Lee Atwater and KKKarl Rove...

Old 11-11-2015, 08:42 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,540,214 times
Default Carson deserves scrutiny

We know that President Obama has overwhelmingly been a successful two-term President. Best we've ever had. He was given the worst mess in history, courtesy of the worst president in history, Dubya Bush. He was cursed with the most pathetic Congress in history, one which opposed him simply because of his skin color, even if doing so hurt the country. He has been the most scrutinized and disrespected President in history, and overcome more adversity than all of the previous Presidents combined.

Now you know what matters. Carson is nothing but toe-jam by comparison. His policy positions are flat, absurd, or non-existent. It's interesting listening to him talk during the debates. He sounds like he still thinks he's sitting on the toilet, practicing his speeches. He has no business in this race.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:00 AM

20,326 posts, read 9,864,511 times
interesting article on the media coverage of carson:

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/is-be...733794358.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or