Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 08:10 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times

Advertisements

Who cares really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 08:14 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
This gets weirder by the day. Here is an article from Daily Mail, a publication owned by the one and only Rupert Murdoch. Basically, in an interview given to the Detroit Free Press in 1988, Dr. Carson's mom, Sonya, said that she was the one who tried to attack Dr. Carson with a hammer. Sonya has Alzheimers now so she cannot confirm nor deny this account, but sounds like Dr. Carson's brother could (if he chose to).

Read more: Ben Carson's MOTHER contradicted claim he attacked her with a hammer | Daily Mail Online

Mick
That's not really a contradiction.

I agree it is beyond stupid we are trying to prove a candidate was a violent in his youth to increase his credibility.

I am more worried about Carson's lack of policy knowledge than what he did more than 50 years ago when his brain had not fully developed. Well maybe one side of his brain never developed after all.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:17 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
How about this, can we all just agree that he didn't grow up in the best of circumstances? Regardless of who threw the hammer, it is amazing that he managed to transform his less than wonderful childhood into a good, productive adult life for himself.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:18 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
That's not really a contradiction.

I agree it is beyond stupid we are trying to prove a candidate was a violent in his youth to increase his credibility.

I am more worried about Carson's lack of policy knowledge than what he did more than 50 years ago when his brain had not fully developed. Well maybe one side of his brain never developed after all.
I've been trying to think whether I've ever seen anything weirder in a presidential campaign, and all I can come up with is Lyndon Larouche. And he was never a front-runner.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:37 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Daily mail? Not the most trustworthy.
Even what they quoted didn't put the hammer in the mothers hand, just that she reached for it. It could have been in his hand when she reached for it. I do find it interesting that his story seemed to change with each retelling.

Either way, does anyone really want a president that admits to trying to stab a close family member or attacking his mom with a hammer?
The Daily Mail on Hillary: Hillary Clinton*dodges questions around Bill being a sex attacker | Daily Mail Online

You have to look at life in Detroit in the area and under the circumstances that he was living. And, he didn't actually attack his mother with a hammer but thought about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
How about this, can we all just agree that he didn't grow up in the best of circumstances? Regardless of who threw the hammer, it is amazing that he managed to transform his less than wonderful childhood into a good, productive adult life for himself.
I'll agree to that. I remember the 60s and the turmoil of the time. Living in MI, we got all the news about what was going on. Detroit was not a city to live in even then. Violent and dangerous.

Addressing the way someone was 50 years ago...................

Old 11-11-2015, 08:56 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The Daily Mail on Hillary: Hillary Clinton*dodges questions around Bill being a sex attacker | Daily Mail Online

You have to look at life in Detroit in the area and under the circumstances that he was living. And, he didn't actually attack his mother with a hammer but thought about it.

I'll agree to that. I remember the 60s and the turmoil of the time. Living in MI, we got all the news about what was going on. Detroit was not a city to live in even then. Violent and dangerous.

Addressing the way someone was 50 years ago...................
He said that he tried to hit his mother with a hammer but his brother stopped him. Ben Carson: CNN Trying to 'Smear' Him by Suggesting He Wasn't Violent

He didn't say that he "thought about" attacking his mom, but that he actually attacked his mom, but his brother grabbed his arm. Why are you changing the story that he told in his own words?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:05 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Who cares? I love how deeply many of you hypocrites want to delve into Carson's past after giving Obama a complete pass on his.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:06 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
He said that he tried to hit his mother with a hammer but his brother stopped him. Ben Carson: CNN Trying to 'Smear' Him by Suggesting He Wasn't Violent

He didn't say that he "thought about" attacking his mom, but that he actually attacked his mom, but his brother grabbed his arm. Why are you changing the story that he told in his own words?
Why are you stuck on this? The moral of the story is that he turned his life around.

You guys act as if he goes around striking people with hammers his entire adult life. He didn't even do it once.

Try to put it into perspective and receive the story in the spirit it was written. Overcoming circumstances and changing for the better.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:18 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Why are you stuck on this? The moral of the story is that he turned his life around.

You guys act as if he goes around striking people with hammers his entire adult life. He didn't even do it once.

Try to put it into perspective and receive the story in the spirit it was written. Overcoming circumstances and changing for the better.
If wasn't actually a bad kid, then he turned his life around far less than he says he did.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post

Can't speak for others, but no, I don't have anything against him today for whatever he did or didn't do as a child 50 years ago.

What makes this story interesting to me is that today, as an adult, he is upset that people are claiming he was not a violent child. Personally, I would be relieved to hear that my childish behavior was innocuous and that I had overblown in my memory the bad things I thought did!

I agree that his out-of-Compton story is inspiring. And would be inspiring whether or not he actually tried to hit his mother with a hammer. But his temper tantrums over whether he was a violent kid or not are not very reassuring for his presidential ambitions. Any president makes mistakes with serious consequences. Will we have to watch him melt down every time he is called out for making such a mistake? And pat him on the back saying "there, there" for some unspecified amount of time until he gets his act together and puts his grown-up pants on and deals with the consequences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections