Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 12:04 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
He isn't a neurosurgeon? He didn't come up with a new way to control seizures?

I just want to emphasis a couple of things as a teacher - I have had a couple of very well-behaved students, who you barely even knew were at school, they were so quiet and under the radar, and who did academically well who ended up killing someone in their family. You do not know what goes on in someone's home. You just don't. Also, two people often experience the same event, tell two totally different stories about it and neither is lying and both are telling the truth. It is simply a matter of seeing the same thing through different eyes, proccessing the events differently, and/or having different things stand out that sear into their memory.

No one wants events that were a very painful memory for them, especially ones they think altered their life, dismissed by others as untrue. They may not have remembered the events clearly after time has elapsed, but they do remember the way it felt.

I give him a pass on this, just like I do Obama and his stories of his mother's insurances woes when she was dying. The pain is the pain, and overshadows the specifics.
I give anyone the benefit of the doubt, right up until the point they decide to write a book about themselves and profit on their life story, then I expect Truth and nothing less. Your choice as to whom you give the pass to, I believe it speaks of their true Character and not the one everyone else is allowed to see. All that said,is this a major issue, not really, my bigger concern with Carson is his total lack of experience as a politician, and some of the statements he has made that make me wonder if the man is a "gifted" as some wish to portray him. He is not qualified, in my opinion, to be the most powerful leader on the planet, no experience and not good analytical thinking on his part from what I can see. Mybe if he goes and gets elected to some lower office first we can see his talents and we l have a better idea of his abilities, until then he is just another "also ran" in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:16 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
But a story that says "I was raised by a single mom, we were poor, and I worked hard to become a great surgeon." wouldn't sell many books.
Right, because no president has ever stretched the truth in his memoirs.
*In response to a question at a Memorial Day appearance in New Mexico, Mr. Obama said an uncle helped liberate the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz during World War II.
Auschwitz was liberated by Soviet forces.
*In Selma back in 2007, Obama credited the civil rights march as the inspiration for his conception.
Obama was already three years old when the march occurred in 1965.
*Also in Selma, Ala., then Senator Barack Obama traced his “very existence” to the generosity of the Kennedy family, which he said paid for his Kenyan father to travel to America on a student scholarship and thus meet his Kansan mother.
Either untrue or grossly oversimplified.
*British brutality toward Barack Obama’s grandfather, a harrowing tale of torture in a colonial prison in Kenya that is said to explain the President’s coolness towards Britain and even his removal of Winston Churchill’s bust from the Oval Office.
Five associates of Hussein Onyango Obama doubt he was even jailed. One told him: “People make up stories”. … claims that while “incidents of that sort certainly happened”, it “seems unlikely” that Mr Obama’s grandfather was one such victim.
*The heroic story of Obama’s step-grandfather dying while fighting the Dutch is untrue
Some of the differences to the kind of family lore that is often exaggerated. He notes that the story about the death of Mr. Obama’s step-grandfather — allegedly killed while fighting Dutch troops in Indonesia — was “a concocted myth in almost all respects.” Mr. Maraniss, one of his biographers, writes that he died trying to hang drapes
*Obama Lied About Mother’s Health Insurance Problem
During the 2008 campaign and throughout the subsequent debate over his health care legislation, President Obama used his mother’s experience as a cancer patient fighting to get coverage to pay for treatment for what her insurer said was a pre-existing condition as an emotional argument to sway skeptics. However, a new book by New York Times reporter Janny Scott has revealed this story appears to be a fabrication.

The Times reports today (in a story buried on page 14 rather than on the front page) that during the course of researching her book, A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama’s Mother, Scott uncovered correspondence showing “the 1995 dispute concerned a Cigna disability insurance policy and that her actual health insurer had apparently reimbursed most of her medical expenses without argument.” In response to inquiries, “a White House spokesman chose not to dispute either Ms. Scott’s account or Mr. Obama’s memory, while arguing that Mr. Obama’s broader point remained salient.”
*Obama makes white Occidental College classmate “Regina” into African-American aka “composite girlfriend”
During an interview in the Oval Office, Obama acknowledged that, while Genevieve was his New York girlfriend, the description in his memoir was a ‘compression’ of girlfriends, including one who followed Genevieve [Cook] when he lived in Chicago,” Mr. Maraniss wrote in the new biography.

“In ‘Dreams from My Father,’ Obama chose to emphasize a racial chasm that unavoidably separated him from the woman he described as his New York girlfriend,” wrote the author, who interviewed the woman. “None of this happened with Genevieve. She remembered going to the theater only once with Barack, and it was not to see a work by a black playwright.”

Mr. Maraniss said the president acknowledged this scene did not happen with Ms. Cook.
*Obama and his mother not “abandoned” by father in 1963
It’s in that context that Maraniss corrects a central element of Obama’s own biography, debunking a story that Obama’s mother may well have invented: That she and her son were abandoned in Hawaii in 1963.

“It was his mother who left Hawaii first, a year earlier than his father,” Maraniss writes, confirming a story that had first surfaced in the conservative blogosphere. He suggests that “spousal abuse” prompted her flight back to Seattle
Look, I'm fine with both. People embellished their life story all the time - they are often doing it to make a point. But, let's not have different standards depending on party or political beliefs.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-11-2015 at 12:26 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 12:17 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
*In response to a question at a Memorial Day appearance in New Mexico, Mr. Obama said an uncle helped liberate the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz during World War II.
Auschwitz was liberated by Soviet forces.
*In Selma back in 2007, Obama credited the civil rights march as the inspiration for his conception.
Obama was already three years old when the march occurred in 1965.
*Also in Selma, Ala., then Senator Barack Obama traced his “very existence” to the generosity of the Kennedy family, which he said paid for his Kenyan father to travel to America on a student scholarship and thus meet his Kansan mother.
Either untrue or grossly oversimplified.
*British brutality toward Barack Obama’s grandfather, a harrowing tale of torture in a colonial prison in Kenya that is said to explain the President’s coolness towards Britain and even his removal of Winston Churchill’s bust from the Oval Office.
Five associates of Hussein Onyango Obama doubt he was even jailed. One told him: “People make up stories”. … claims that while “incidents of that sort certainly happened”, it “seems unlikely” that Mr Obama’s grandfather was one such victim.
*The heroic story of Obama’s step-grandfather dying while fighting the Dutch is untrue
Some of the differences to the kind of family lore that is often exaggerated. He notes that the story about the death of Mr. Obama’s step-grandfather — allegedly killed while fighting Dutch troops in Indonesia — was “a concocted myth in almost all respects.” Mr. Maraniss, one of his biographers, writes that he died trying to hang drapes

*Obama Lied About Mother’s Health Insurance Problem
During the 2008 campaign and throughout the subsequent debate over his health care legislation, President Obama used his mother’s experience as a cancer patient fighting to get coverage to pay for treatment for what her insurer said was a pre-existing condition as an emotional argument to sway skeptics. However, a new book by New York Times reporter Janny Scott has revealed this story appears to be a fabrication.

The Times reports today (in a story buried on page 14 rather than on the front page) that during the course of researching her book, A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama’s Mother, Scott uncovered correspondence showing “the 1995 dispute concerned a Cigna disability insurance policy and that her actual health insurer had apparently reimbursed most of her medical expenses without argument.” In response to inquiries, “a White House spokesman chose not to dispute either Ms. Scott’s account or Mr. Obama’s memory, while arguing that Mr. Obama’s broader point remained salient.”
*Obama makes white Occidental College classmate “Regina” into African-American aka “composite girlfriend”
During an interview in the Oval Office, Obama acknowledged that, while Genevieve was his New York girlfriend, the description in his memoir was a ‘compression’ of girlfriends, including one who followed Genevieve [Cook] when he lived in Chicago,” Mr. Maraniss wrote in the new biography.

“In ‘Dreams from My Father,’ Obama chose to emphasize a racial chasm that unavoidably separated him from the woman he described as his New York girlfriend,” wrote the author, who interviewed the woman. “None of this happened with Genevieve. She remembered going to the theater only once with Barack, and it was not to see a work by a black playwright.”

Mr. Maraniss said the president acknowledged this scene did not happen with Ms. Cook.
*Obama and his mother not “abandoned” by father in 1963
It’s in that context that Maraniss corrects a central element of Obama’s own biography, debunking a story that Obama’s mother may well have invented: That she and her son were abandoned in Hawaii in 1963.

“It was his mother who left Hawaii first, a year earlier than his father,” Maraniss writes, confirming a story that had first surfaced in the conservative blogosphere. He suggests that “spousal abuse” prompted her flight back to Seattle
So let us not repeat the same mistakes...............

Old 11-11-2015, 12:19 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
I guess this was a pre medicated Carson. Oh Mr. Rogers Carson, please say it isn't true! You lost to your MAMMA? NOOOOOO!
Just when I was thinking he was a wild guy...

Old 11-11-2015, 12:22 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Let's face it, those that follow CNN, the Hillary channel aren't really interested in the truth and, frankly, that is what makes Hillary a good match for them in the first place. It isn't ever about the truth. Everyone needs to look at all sides. There is no proof that anything that was said by Carson was a lie. CNN should be ashamed as the only liars in this deal is CNN and who isn't surprised by that. I also wonder how much of this is to detract from Hillary and her mess. They are trying to get her to the White House when it should be "the big house" where she takes residence.

Video Proof: CNN's Attack On Ben Carson's Biography Is Racially-Motivated - Breitbart

Old 11-11-2015, 12:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
This gets weirder by the day. Here is an article from Daily Mail, a publication owned by the one and only Rupert Murdoch. Basically, in an interview given to the Detroit Free Press in 1988, Dr. Carson's mom, Sonya, said that she was the one who tried to attack Dr. Carson with a hammer. Sonya has Alzheimers now so she cannot confirm nor deny this account, but sounds like Dr. Carson's brother could (if he chose to).

Read more: Ben Carson's MOTHER contradicted claim he attacked her with a hammer | Daily Mail Online

Mick
Let's just drop this nonsense: regardless of who was going to go after who, it was over 20 years ago for heavens sake!!!! Who really cares? I am more interested in how the candidates will attempt to handle he present day Amerian problams.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:24 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
I can use Carson's own actual words and know that he is a moron.

Carson: I'd consider keeping Yellen at the Fed

Read more: 2016 Fox Business debate: Ben Carson: I'd consider keeping Janet Yellen at the Fed - POLITICO

Old 11-11-2015, 12:24 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Ben Carson isn't president, and Obama got grilled on all of the issues you brought up and more while running.

Presidential candidates are vetted. If they can't handle it then I doubt they can handle the crap that will be flung at them while in office. Look at Obama, 7 years and still the birthers don't stop, and people are still calling for his college transcripts.
If Carson is so delicate that he can't deal with this tiny fraction of what Obama goes through, then he has no chance of making it in office where everything you did, do, think, or say is raked over the coals.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:36 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I can use Carson's own actual words and know that he is a moron.

Carson: I'd consider keeping Yellen at the Fed

Read more: 2016 Fox Business debate: Ben Carson: I'd consider keeping Janet Yellen at the Fed - POLITICO
I'm sure many Democrats are happy to hear that.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:36 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Too bad he's going for a different image. His campaign song could be U Can't Touch This (It's Hammer time ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections