U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:20 AM

15,839 posts, read 10,000,150 times

Advertisements

America wants the advantages of Puerto Rico without the costs ...so give them statehood or independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 11:45 AM

25,235 posts, read 14,005,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
In a Carson administration, I will leave no stone unturned in my efforts to secure this important step in Puerto Rico’s history – establishing Estado 51,” Carson said, according to CNN.

Just what we need - a state with 65% unemployment and 50% of Puerto Ricans on some type of government assistance. Ben, what are you thinking???

BTW, Bush is in favor of this as well.
Does he even know that Puerto Rico has turned down perusing statehood several times, seems like Carson is not very knowledgeable for someone that wants to be President.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:33 PM

15,839 posts, read 10,000,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Does he even know that Puerto Rico has turned down perusing statehood several times, seems like Carson is not very knowledgeable for someone that wants to be President.
He's clueless and has never heard of the US wet-foot/dry-foot policy on Cubans.

Cuba policy stumps Ben Carson in Florida | Miami Herald

In the Miami Herald interview, Carson appeared stumped by questions about the so-called wet-foot, dry-foot policy, which allows Cubans who reach U.S. soil to remain here, and about the Cuban Adjustment Act, which allows Cubans who arrive in the U.S. to apply for legal residency after 366 days.

He was candid about not being up to speed.

“You’re going to have to explain to me exactly what you mean by that,” Carson said, asked about wet-foot, dry-foot. “I have to admit that I don’t know a great deal about that, and I don’t really like to comment until I’ve had a chance to study the issue from both sides.”

Old 11-09-2015, 02:09 PM

7,677 posts, read 8,460,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Ive explained several times that statehood won because it was the valid option with the most votes. It doesent matter how many votes "improved commonwealth"/"Estado Libre Asociado Mejorado" gets because it's a make believe option. It's not constitutionally viable to have a status that is legally a US territory but has all the powers and privileges of a state of the union.

There are only 3 valid status options available to Puerto Rico: statehood, independence, or the existing territorial status as is, as approved by Congress in Law 600 in 1952 as a revision of the Organic Act of 1900 and the Jones Act of 1917.

Furthermore the Puerto Rico State Elections Commission (CEE in Spanish) has validated the results of the 2012 status referendum confirming the statehood won.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:11 PM

4,771 posts, read 2,176,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
In a Carson administration, I will leave no stone unturned in my efforts to secure this important step in Puerto Rico’s history – establishing Estado 51,” Carson said, according to CNN.

Just what we need - a state with 65% unemployment and 50% of Puerto Ricans on some type of government assistance. Ben, what are you thinking???

BTW, Bush is in favor of this as well.
We already have that. It's called New York City.

I always suspected Carson was a nutjob...now I know.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:12 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,383,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The difference is, I don't want to do anything to change his state, but it seems that every liberal wants to change mine. No thanks, I don't want or need anyone's version of progress forced down my throat.
What does this rant have to do with Puerto Rican statehood?

Old 11-09-2015, 04:43 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,961,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Not quite^

A few years back WaPo had an article about statehood for PR. What was said in the article---and I believe it---if PR became a state, it would take them 50 years to get where MS is now.

Your family owns property in PR. Have you actually lived there or only vacationed there?
50 years for PR to get its act together? Word is a LOT of PR's people have already LEFT for the "mainland" so it sounds to me its def time for lots of new "blood" to go there. Tho that'd be the end of the use of Spanish real fast IMHO.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:39 PM

20,064 posts, read 12,041,246 times
Heck offer Cuba statehood! Tell Castro will give him some BIG $$ and give him a new country-- (Mars) both him and his zombie brother Fidel--

Old 11-09-2015, 05:58 PM

12,871 posts, read 6,170,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
50 years for PR to get its act together? Word is a LOT of PR's people have already LEFT for the "mainland" so it sounds to me its def time for lots of new "blood" to go there. Tho that'd be the end of the use of Spanish real fast IMHO.
^I agree. Yes, a lot of educated and fully bilingual PRs have left the Island because of the lack of jobs. So more and more, what's left behind is the ones on welfare and the criminal element. That said, of course there are still good people there---some don't want to move or they do but can't afford it. Crime has gotten worse there, which is a shame.

I have a cousin who is in her mid-70s. She was born and raised there. Her ex-husband who wasn't a PR, was in the military so she has lived outside the Island---in fact both her kids were born outside PR. After her divorce, she returned to PR because she had family there. She worries a lot about how things are going in PR these days. If it weren't for the fact that one of her kids lives nearby her, I would be very concerned about her living there.

Should PR become a state, they will be expected to conduct governmental business in English. That would be an issue for them because a while back, they declared Spanish to be the official language

Old 11-09-2015, 06:00 PM

12,871 posts, read 6,170,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Your family owns property in PR. Have you actually lived there or only vacationed there?
So, WIHS, are you going to actually answer this question?^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections