U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2015, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,639 posts, read 9,697,151 times
Reputation: 12182

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Trump mocks his opponents in a very immature manner. Rubio's thirst? Carson's stories about stabbing someone? Why does he do this?
Jeepsters have a saying, “It is a Jeep thing. You wouldn’t understand."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2015, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,639 posts, read 9,697,151 times
Reputation: 12182
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

As for 10,000 people in the crowd, has it dawned on you and others, how many might be being paid to be there?
What is the mechanism to pay people appearing at Trump’s rallies? Since I am going anyway I might as well get paid for it. Do I send my paypal account to someone? How does Trump pay the people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,639 posts, read 9,697,151 times
Reputation: 12182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Did your idol happen to have details about how much that wall would cost or how long it would take to build? This all coming at a time when Mexicans crossing the boarder is less of a problem.
Then you must have thought at some point that it was a problem I don’t recall you or your ilk ever saying that. When did you say illegal crossing is a problem? As for the wall, here is how you build it. You dig a foundation, pour cement, anchor the beams and slide in precast concrete walls. It is safe to assume we can find a few contractors in this country to build walls. They have done a few before. Oh, and it does work. Just ask these folks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,717 posts, read 11,553,820 times
Reputation: 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Seriously? If you don't think the government in in the healthcare industry, you have your head buried in the sand or more than likely in another unmentionable place. You have heard of Medicare and medicaid, right? You still want to stick with your comment that government is NOT in healthcare?

Costs have gone up at an unheard of level. Admin costs due to government involvement increased more than 100% from 2001 to 2010 whereas actual health expenditures only rose 74%.

The left wing problem is that they believe that health care and health insurance are one in the same.
Medicare and Medicaid are health insurance not health care.

Where is your citation for the the claim that "Admin costs due to government involvement increased more than 100% from 2001 to 2010 whereas actual health expenditures only rose 74%?" My understanding is that Medicare and Medicaid do a far better job at controlling costs than private insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,639 posts, read 9,697,151 times
Reputation: 12182
You are right about that. Medicare denies claims way more than private health insurance. Hey, here is one way to cut down rising healthcare costs. Don’t pay for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,717 posts, read 11,553,820 times
Reputation: 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Then you must have thought at some point that it was a problem I don’t recall you or your ilk ever saying that. When did you say illegal crossing is a problem? As for the wall, here is how you build it. You dig a foundation, pour cement, anchor the beams and slide in precast concrete walls. It is safe to assume we can find a few contractors in this country to build walls. They have done a few before. Oh, and it does work. Just ask these folks.
It's not a question of how to build a simple wall. The issue is cost and effectiveness.

According to CNBC:
Quote:
Building a wall to keep out illegal immigrants is not a novel plan. About 670 miles of fencing on the U.S.-Mexico border was completed in accordance with the Bush administration's Secure Fence Act of 2006. That alone cost about $2.4 billion, for roughly one-third of the entire border and, according to migration experts, some of the easier and less costly areas to fence.
...
The actual cost for the rest of the border wall (roughly 1,300 miles) could be as high as $16 million per mile, with a total price tag of $15 billion to $25 billion. Rosenblum said the $15 billion low-end estimate is "probably an underestimate," because the parts that have yet to be fenced are the most difficult — the most dense and arid. At $16 million per mile and with 1,300 miles to secure, the estimated cost would be $12 billion, and the price of private land acquisitions and maintenance of fencing could push that total cost higher.
...
There's one more aspect to Trump's plan that could make it even costlier — he is talking about a wall, not a fence. If he really means what he says, "the price would go up quite a bit," Rosenblum said.
...
The U.S. government would have to pay to maintain the wall, which could cost as much as $750 million a year, according to an analysis conducted by Politico. And then if it wanted to man it with personnel, that would be an additional cost — border patrol has an operating budget of $1.4 billion for 21,000 agents.
...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 08:23 AM
 
Location: NH
2,232 posts, read 2,291,453 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Why it DOES make sense is because you can think of Obamacare as a three-legged stool. Suppose you want to guarantee that insurance is available to people with pre-existing conditions. Well, you can establish community rating, requiring that insurance companies make the same policies available to everyone. But if you stop there, you know what will happen? Healthy people will opt out, leaving behind a high-risk, high-cost pool. So you have to also have a mandate, requiring that people buy insurance. And you can't do that without subsidies, so that lower-income people can afford their policies.

That's why Obamacare (and Romneycare in Massachusetts) works and wouldn't work if the GOP Congress got rid of the mandate. A lot of people on the right have never grasped this logic, either because all they need to know is that Obamacare is eevil big government, or because of the Upton Sinclair principle of finding it difficult to understand something when your salary depends on your not understanding it.
I understand what you mean but...its not that great if you have to mandate it. If it were great everyone would want it. The only reason it is mandated is so that it is somewhat affordable for lower income families meaning that the increased cost of my insurance is driving theirs down, sounds like a form of welfare to me. Make something that benefits everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,717 posts, read 11,553,820 times
Reputation: 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I understand what you mean but...its not that great if you have to mandate it. If it were great everyone would want it. The only reason it is mandated is so that it is somewhat affordable for lower income families meaning that the increased cost of my insurance is driving theirs down, sounds like a form of welfare to me. Make something that benefits everyone.
To bring the cost of the pool down, you need the mandate.

Otherwise, those with the lowest risk, like the young, wouldn't buy insurance -- at least until some of them were diagnosed with cancer or some other disease, and then they'd order insurance. Insurance can't work if only the sick are in the pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 01:33 PM
 
10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
Reputation: 17010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
As for the wall, here is how you build it. You dig a foundation, pour cement, anchor the beams and slide in precast concrete walls. It is safe to assume we can find a few contractors in this country to build walls.
In west and south Texas, much of the land along the border is in private hands. Trump loves eminent domain but the ranchers don't, they'll fight it tooth and nail.

Contractors, workers, and materials aren't that easy to find and transport in that remote region. There's very little infrastructure much less housing. Hardly any roads, I can't imagine how the workers and supplies would even access long remote stretches of the border. The terrain is brutal, as is the weather for much of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,717 posts, read 11,553,820 times
Reputation: 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
In west and south Texas, much of the land along the border is in private hands. Trump loves eminent domain but the ranchers don't, they'll fight it tooth and nail.

Contractors, workers, and materials aren't that easy to find and transport in that remote region. There's very little infrastructure much less housing. Hardly any roads, I can't imagine how the workers and supplies would even access long remote stretches of the border. The terrain is brutal, as is the weather for much of the year.
Details, details. Trump is a big-picture guy. He'll just hire terrific people to get it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top