Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:43 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Obamacare is killing the Middle Class and Small Business.

This is one of the reasons they abandoned the Democrats in 2014. It's one of the reasons they will abandon the Democrats in 2016 and elect a President from the GOP.

"$19,000 Premiums, Up 4x Since Passage": The 'Crippling Effect' Of Obamacare On The Middle Class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 06:57 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

This is one of the reasons they abandoned the Democrats in 2014. It's one of the reasons they will abandon the Democrats in 2016 and elect a President from the GOP.

"$19,000 Premiums, Up 4x Since Passage": The 'Crippling Effect' Of Obamacare On The Middle Class
Quote:
This is crippling effect of ACA on small biz owners & middle class. $19000/yr premiums up 4x since passage. #tyranny pic.twitter.com/irHW4Oms2m

— Ed Elliott (@gunsntoolz) October 30, 2015
The above was all I got from your link on the topic.

It reminds me of the barrage of anecdotes a few years ago, about fake Obamacare horror stories-- 'I read this sad story in the Wall Street Journal or I heard this tale on the radio, etc, about man who is being told that he has to buy a policy he can’t possibly afford ...How do you answer that?'

Well, it can't be argued retail. Back then, the Koch brothers were pouring money into ads featuring a person, or the GOP response to the SOTU tells a story. When this happens, it's worth trying to track down the particulars of this case. But to deal with the broader problem of anecdotes, what you need is a framework that tells you which anecdotes are almost surely wrong.

Let's try to get some facts. If this person owns a small business that has fewer than 50 FTEs, he's exempt from employer mandates under Obamacare in the first place. Next, group policies are not increasing in price that fast. I know that from my own employer. But if this particular small firm with over 50 full-time employees is getting a 4x hike in price, it has nothing to do with Obamacare, because they aren't apart of Obamacare.

In any case, when the OP comes back with the actual facts about this case, we can argue it intelligently. My gut response is that this is a made-up story that's being spread around the internet.

When facts about sensational Obamacare sad stories came to light in the past, they were all dedunked. This is an example: Maybe there are no genuine Obamacare horror stories - latimes

Quote:
the latest horror story bloomer -- the tale of one Julie Boonstra of Michigan, wholesaled by the Koch-founded conservative organization Americans for Prosperity. In a political ad being run by AFP against a Democratic senate candidate in Michigan, Boonstra asserts that "Obamacare" has made her leukemia treatment "unaffordable" and "jeopardized" her health.

But when Glenn Kessler of the Washington Post checked out her story, he found it didn't hold up. The Affordable Care Act provided her with cheaper coverage than she had before, while allowing her to keep her doctor and maintain her treatment.
Quote:
Boonstra's case is just the latest of a very long line of deflatable horror stories. We've debunked a passel of them here, from Florida resident Diane Barrette, who didn't realize she'd been empowered by the ACA to move from a costly junk insurance plan to a cheaper real insurance plan; to Los Angeles real estate agent Deborah Cavallaro, whose "unaffordable" premiums turned out to be eminently affordable; to San Diego business owner Edie Sundby, whose cancer coverage was safeguarded by Obamacare after her insurer bailed out on her for financial reasons; to "Bette," the supposed victim trotted out by Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.) in her response to the State of the Union message last month, and who turned out to be an ACA "victim" because she couldn't be bothered actually to investigate her options for affordable care on the Washington state enrollment website.

Last edited by MTAtech; 11-11-2015 at 07:07 AM..

Old 11-11-2015, 07:00 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:

Yes, even Obama-supporter NY Times has noticed the problem.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/18/us...ctor.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...=top-news&_r=3

Old 11-11-2015, 07:34 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:

Okay, so what's the GOP alternative to the ACA? What we had before was waaaay worse than $6000 deductibles. Do we go back to an even more expensive system of no insurance, more deaths and medical bill bankruptcies? A government insurance option? Single payer?

People may not like having to bear the actual cost of their medical insurance, but they aren't going to start voting for a party whose alternative is to simply pray for good health.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:52 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
I think we should cut our losses and go single payer. Mr. Trump agrees.

However, it needs to be recognized that any, and I mean any, legislation will create winners and losers. No law has succeeded for 100% of the citizens, and no law has failed 100% of the citizens. My point is, no matter which side you are on, there will be winners and losers, depending on individual circumstances. All the anecdotal stories cannot possibly replace a well-constructed study on the topic.

Listen, according to the conservatives, this world was to come to an armageddon when ACA went into effect. That has not happened. While it is true that a bulk of people with new coverage gets it through Medicare expansion, none of the exaggerated Republican predictions of health care and business meltdowns have come true. It's like Y2K, basically.

Here is the problem. Typically, a legislation of this magnitude requires constant fine tuning based on actual experience with the law. Of course, Republicans wish to kill ACA so they wouldn't agree to reasonable corrections or improvements, and then they whine, "It's not perfect, it's not perfect!"

The fact of the matter is the elimination of life time cap and preexisting condition is crazy expensive - it's common sense when you think about it. If those (plus coverage to 26 under the parents' policy) are the only thing ACA accomplished, it has made a profound and positive effect on countless people's lives. That cannot be denied.

Mick

P.S. Some people keep on rambling about how the middle class has abandoned the DNC, but the polls clearly indicate otherwise. 2014 was like any other mid-term election where Democrats did not turn out. 2016, with 24-10 seats advantage for Democrats in a Presidential election year, will be different. As you know, Democrats lost a whole bunch of Congressional seats in 2010 and 2014 mid-term elections, but they did just fine in 2008 and 2012 Congressional elections. This pattern will hold again.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:15 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
OP, understand the people getting subsidized don't want to get it, why would they? They don't care that our insurance is costing me and you WAY more. Funny, it's because they didn't want to pay those same pricey insurance premiums but now that those sky high insurance premiums are shoved off on someone else to pay they don't care.

It never occurred that although they get the subsidy it just switched who pays, worse yet, at least for me, I'm healthy and still have to pay for sky high premiums for a catastrophic polity.

Last edited by petch751; 11-11-2015 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-11-2015, 09:05 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
From what I've read the government spends $27 billion in subsidies, somebody has to pay.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:45 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
From what I've read the government spends $27 billion in subsidies, somebody has to pay.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

That is just money going to benefit the insurance industry, the owners of the medical practices, drug companies, and even the finance industry. It's the huge failure of Obamacare. It's not about treatment, it's about protecting the profits of these industries. Obamacare forces everyone to be their customer.

The working person can't afford to do it this way. They hate what Obamacare has done to their premiums, especially if they own a small business and are purchasing for their employees. The employees hate it because it affects hugely what they take home.

These people will be voting for the President who promises to end it. It's going to flip states from Blue to Red that haven't been that way in a long time.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:05 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Quote:

These people will be voting for the President who promises to end it. It's going to flip states from Blue to Red that haven't been that way in a long time.
And it's been happening since 2010. Democrats still refuse to accept responsibility for their massive clusterfrack. I just had a coworker accuse me of being a racist when I pointed out the problems with Obamacare. That nonsense still works here in the blue state of NY but the restof the country is obviously wising up.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:07 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Okay, so what's the GOP alternative to the ACA? What we had before was waaaay worse than $6000 deductibles. Do we go back to an even more expensive system of no insurance, more deaths and medical bill bankruptcies? A government insurance option? Single payer?

People may not like having to bear the actual cost of their medical insurance, but they aren't going to start voting for a party whose alternative is to simply pray for good health.
What we had before was better, though still problematic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections