Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 08:48 AM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times

Advertisements

We are reaping what we sowed. Cheap labor is not cheap and those same folks who hire illegals to save a buck are the one screaming they have taken over. There is always a price to pay for greed and the chickens are coming home to roost. Illegal immigration is a huge problem in this country but thinking your going to round 11,000 million people and ship them back to their home country is foolish thinking. The cost and logistics of such a actions along makes it a crazy idea. 11,000 million people is about the same amount of people who live in Ohio (10 largest state in the union). Donald Trump could bring every soldier home from abroad and we would still be greatly understaffed. Building a fence would be idiotic because your still not addressing the problem. Any immigration plan that does not start with cutting off jobs to illegal is a pipe dream. If you don't cutoff the jobs you can forget about building fences, mass deportations are anything else.

Reggie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 08:52 AM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
So instead the alternative is to demonize people who act in the most logical and market driven self interest? I have a fundamental left wing problem with that. You see even as a *******, marxist, prog democrat, I am absolutely opposed to "illegal immigration" but to be opposed to illegal immigrants is to be opposed to basic human instincts.

BINGO-- the market has become evil-in so many ways - not the basic fundamental idea-- but the crooked and corrupt manipulations that is now popular.

I am pro-people- I only have one issues with any human, and it is those that hurt children- for the rest- treat people with dignity- and "illegal" equals 24-7 abuse on all sides. From the coyotes, to the selling of people, to human right violations and all the deaths it causes.
Do the illegals do better yes- many do- economically- but in causes a barrelful of heartache of other problems too-
If we allow illegals- we are part of the problem- but the very first course of action- is stop the income. when the housing crash came- many illegals left- facts-- stop the income-
Politicians speak with a forked tongue when we discuss this matter- and so do many people- they say get them out! but the clean my house and watch my kids and cut my yard oh so pretty

Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
We know from states that have attempted to expel aliens that the only thing necessary to encourage them to self-deport is to take away the opportunity of employment and housing. The only "deportation force" needed is one to raid employers and job sites looking for illegally HIRED aliens and arrest and punish their employers. They will go a-running back to where they came from. Of course, this is going to cause huge unintended consequences as employers are unable to find replacement workers with the needed skills, etc. So maybe we need to be smarter about it.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:58 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Mystery, not in the least. Build a 30 foot wall, I bring a 31 foot ladder. Don't like ladders, I'll build a tunnel. Don't like tunnels I'll just paddle around your wall that extends a mere 300 feet into the water.

As, I've said before, cut off the demand and you cut down the supply.

Currently on the first offense for hiring a undocumented worker is a wapping $250 - $2,000. Since 2009 some 8,590 employers have been fined on average $11,641 in fines, but for those fines to be imposed the government is required prior knowledge of the undocumented status. One would think that it would be easy enough just to apply the current schedule of fines as civil violations reducing the governments burden of proof and then actually impose real criminal penalties in cases where employers knowingly hired illegal aliens. Now that wouldn't cost a dime outside of the normal costs of enforcement and addresses the real issue, the demand for illegal labor. Of course that punishing employers isn't nearly as sexy as building walls but hey...
Have you seen pictures of the electrified, concrete tunnel built by smugglers under Duncan Hunter's wall?

The people who insist on closing the border first know it cannot be done. I consider their entire POV a smokescreen.

Jailing employers is the only way to stop it. There are several restaurants chains in Texas who have paid millions in fines. One even bussed crews from one town to another to avoid ICE. Fines are just a cost of doing business.

Problem is proving the owners knew. A donut maker got raided by ICE due to EEOC complaints by the illegals working in the warehouse. The manager was doing all sorts of crazy things to the illegals he hired. The owners said it was all on the manager. They knew nothing. The owners had to give up the houses where the illegals were living. About a 1.5 million worth of real estate. They had a PR firm on the payroll the next day. Got the keys to the city, praise from a local congressman and the daily paper. Business has never been so good.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I've got nothing against enforcing immigration laws, I just don't like the Gestapo manner that Trump wants to accomplish it (door to door searches). Even soft spoken Carson had a more feasible plan that he put out yesterday. There are other measures to take rather than the hoard and deport. And remember, that illegal immigrants come from all over - not just Mexico. I have a problem when Trump stereotypes one ethnic group with his rhetoric.
He knows his base. He knows what they want. So he uses words like "deportation force". (I assume that got cheers from his fans. Sounds real tough. And militaristic.)

It's also, as the Republican strategists keep saying what will hand the election to the Democrats. Hispanics are a powerful voting block. They will NOT vote for Trump and his "Deportation Force" plans. The Republicans cannot win without the Hispanic vote.

But.... The members of Trump's fan club likes to call each other patriots and pat each other on the back and talk about walls and kicking the illegals out of the country. They are not going to listen to the people who know how the election process actually works. It works by NOT alienating HUGE groups of voters. Something Trump excels at.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:06 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We know from states that have attempted to expel aliens that the only thing necessary to encourage them to self-deport is to take away the opportunity of employment and housing. The only "deportation force" needed is one to raid employers and job sites looking for illegally HIRED aliens and arrest and punish their employers. They will go a-running back to where they came from. Of course, this is going to cause huge unintended consequences as employers are unable to find replacement workers with the needed skills, etc. So maybe we need to be smarter about it.
Yep. And considering that Donald Trump's businesses would be directly impacted by such an action, and he would ultimately be held accountable for it, he will never advocate for that. Much more appealing to demonize the people his enterprises continue to hire and profit off of than hold himself to task as the cause of it or admit that he himself is breaking the law.

And the rubes who can't get enough of demonizing illegals never see it for the ruse that it is.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
What would it take to be on The Donald's "Deportation Force"? Will they provide spiffy black uniforms with silver buttons? Will they be able to say "Papers Please"? What will happen to their kids? Will they be sent to child labor camps?

Old 11-12-2015, 09:26 AM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
aha! JOBS- JOBS- JOBS-- silver buttoned Deportation Force -

Old 11-12-2015, 09:27 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
We are reaping what we sowed. Cheap labor is not cheap and those same folks who hire illegals to save a buck are the one screaming they have taken over. There is always a price to pay for greed and the chickens are coming home to roost. Illegal immigration is a huge problem in this country but thinking your going to round 11,000 million people and ship them back to their home country is foolish thinking. The cost and logistics of such a actions along makes it a crazy idea. 11,000 million people is about the same amount of people who live in Ohio (10 largest state in the union). Donald Trump could bring every soldier home from abroad and we would still be greatly understaffed. Building a fence would be idiotic because your still not addressing the problem. Any immigration plan that does not start with cutting off jobs to illegal is a pipe dream. If you don't cutoff the jobs you can forget about building fences, mass deportations are anything else.

Reggie
Yep.

I work in an industry that in most regions is filled with immigrant (often illegal immigrant) labor. However, where I live is one of the last strongholds of union labor in the US and number of [hispanic] illegal immigrants here is zero to negligible. There is no opportunity for them to work in industry, or even in janitorial and hotel housekeeping because those are all unionized jobs here and the unions will turn in a business that hires illegals. Sure, labor cost are significantly higher here, but people can make a livable wage with benefits doing those jobs that Americans supposedly won't do.

Republicans won't consider about going after the businesses that back them, and Democrats are too busy pandering to ethnic interest groups to honestly talk about the problem. And here we are with strong labor unions solving it for us.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:34 AM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Yep.

I work in an industry that in most regions is filled with immigrant (often illegal immigrant) labor. However, where I live is one of the last strongholds of union labor in the US and number of [hispanic] illegal immigrants here is zero to negligible. There is no opportunity for them to work in industry, or even in janitorial and hotel housekeeping because those are all unionized jobs here and the unions will turn in a business that hires illegals. Sure, labor cost are significantly higher here, but people can make a livable wage with benefits doing those jobs that Americans supposedly won't do.

Republicans won't consider about going after the businesses that back them, and Democrats are too busy pandering to ethnic interest groups to honestly talk about the problem. And here we are with strong labor unions solving it for us.

You are correct. If anyone tries to send 11 million people packing the lobbyist would descend on DC like locust. We are not going to send cheap labor back across the boarder. Be you a republican or democrat it is not going to happen.

Reggie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections