Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 07:50 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Incentives to leave and reapply.

Find and fine employers sufficient to discourage them from hiring illegal immigrants. This should choke off the employment pipeline. Assuming this is successful and actually encourages self-deportation, we'll have to have a plan to backfill the jobs that become vacant. Possible re-training of unemployed U.S. citizens, the thousands of convicts who are being released, even temporary work permits for the cream of the crop - see re-entrants (though the 'cream' might not even have to leave). We'd have to develop and have ready some pretty stringent criteria.

Re-entrants must be able to prove previous employment and assuming taxes were not paid, offer some kind of 'discount' on taxes owed, interest and penalty. If we are willing to offer some type of incentive, (lower tax rates) to companies who bring oversea profits home, then we should also offer the same to potentially productive citizens.

Assuming no criminal record, history of residency and employment and family in the U.S., whether or not they came legally in the first place; offer a long (5 year?) term work permit/visa. After 5 years, provided progress is being made on discounted back taxes payment, current taxes paid, no criminal offenses, continuous or near continuous employment, then provide a path to citizenship - another 5 years.

Not an easy solution, but it is time to deal with this.
Would you also give them a pass for stealing an American's ID to work here? That's a felony, you know. Since we will be able to fill their vacated jobs with Americans what jobs will they come back to? Path to citizenship? No way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 09:51 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
Appreciate your respectful response. No one, not you, not me is 100% honest, without trespass. We simply disagree. Murder is a felony too. Do equate all felonies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Would you also give them a pass for stealing an American's ID to work here? That's a felony, you know. Since we will be able to fill their vacated jobs with Americans what jobs will they come back to? Path to citizenship? No way!

Old 11-14-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Appreciate your respectful response. No one, not you, not me is 100% honest, without trespass. We simply disagree. Murder is a felony too. Do equate all felonies?
I don't know what you mean about being guilty of trespassing. I certainly don't go where I am not invited. I wasn't comparing murder to felony ID theft. All I was saying is that many if not most illegals are guilty of it. Should they get a pass on that? That can cause some serious harm to the rightful owner of the ID.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:31 AM

Try the Lord's Prayer for trespasses, alternatly debtors, definition.Trespass - Definition and Meaning, Bible Dictionary That not all of our 'sins' are equal. I am saying that not all felonies are created equal.

I am sure this - the bolded part of your post - happens, but doubt your assertion that "many if not most".
Quote:
I don't know what you mean about being guilty of trespassing. I certainly don't go where I am not invited. I wasn't comparing murder to felony ID theft. All I was saying is that many if not most illegals are guilty of it. Should they get a pass on that? That can cause some serious harm to the rightful owner of the ID.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:04 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
The "cream of the crop": they still need to leave the US. Then IF they're really needed; let employers sponsor those now former illegals aliens to bring them back to the US.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:13 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
As much as I am for Trump and his immigration plan, I don’t think you can do it if people are unwilling. All it takes are couple of riots and cities burning down for the politicians to freak out. We need incentives so illegals are convinced that there is more in it for them to leave and come back legally. Something to sweeten the pot. INS already has a system of preferences. May be create another category for them that expedites their application, but only if they apply by a date certain.
How about disincentives?

I've noticed the migrants to Europe avoid those countries with the least amount and value of benefits.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:19 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Instead of giving illegals incentives, let's give incentives to those reporting employers and others reporting the illegals. That is who should be rewarded.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Try the Lord's Prayer for trespasses, alternatly debtors, definition.Trespass - Definition and Meaning, Bible Dictionary That not all of our 'sins' are equal. I am saying that not all felonies are created equal.

I am sure this - the bolded part of your post - happens, but doubt your assertion that "many if not most".
You can doubt it all you want but it's the truth. I know of a situation personally where my wife used to work where that happened. It caused many employees a big headache.

Generally speaking, the government has sent out hundreds of thousands of no-match SS number letters that have never been addressed.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:12 PM

I know the sentiment. I was there at one point. Now, I think it is a waste of resources ($$$$$$$), because you'd have to set up and pay for two mechanisms/processes; one to deport, one to let back in.

How many times in our legal system have people gotten lighter sentences, or even probation due to excellent character? The answer is that it is common.

It makes much more practical, $$$$, sense to work out a system to make exceptions. It could be part of the deportation process for individuals that have to do more to earn an opportunity to live and work in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The "cream of the crop": they still need to leave the US. Then IF they're really needed; let employers sponsor those now former illegals aliens to bring them back to the US.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:27 PM

I did some research and came across an article from 2006, that deals with the identity theft. There were also more recent articles and think tank sort of stuff from the last year or two. The article cases featured were both where the illegal was just trying to support his family, as well as some discussion about other more harmful use of identities. Some illegals, but also the entire problem, ("Generally speaking.....") of identity theft. I've been caught up in a couple of data breaches, but thankfully had safeguards set up, so the damage was minimal.

I agree it is a crime. I agree that restitution would be part of the process. If people who come out of prison can be accepted again into society again, provided they keep their nose clean, can be forgiven their trespass, then we can make exceptions. I did not define what the fines were for in my original post, or how much, but this sort of thing ought to be factored into any fine structure.

A lot of what you describe is at the feet of politicians and bureaucrats who have done nothing to address border security, the problem you describe, etc.

Quote:
You can doubt it all you want but it's the truth. I know of a situation personally where my wife used to work where that happened. It caused many employees a big headache.

Generally speaking, the government has sent out hundreds of thousands of no-match SS number letters that have never been addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections