Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:33 AM

401 posts, read 287,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Republican presidential contender Ben Carson has maintained a business relationship with a close friend convicted of defrauding insurance companies and testified on his behalf, even as the candidate has called for such crimes to be punished harshly. Pittsburgh dentist Alfonso A. Costa pleaded guilty to a felony count of health care fraud after an FBI probe into his oral surgery practice found he had charged for procedures he never performed, according to court records.
Though the crime carries a potential sentence of up to 10 years in federal prison, Costa was able to avoid prison time after Carson helped petition a federal judge for leniency.
That's different from the position Carson took in 2013 as he prepared to launch his presidential campaign, saying those convicted of health care fraud should go to prison for at least a decade and be forced to forfeit "all of one's personal possessions."
At Costa's 2008 sentencing hearing, Carson described the dentist as "one my closest, if not my very closest friend."
"We became friends about a decade ago because we discovered that we were so much alike and shared the same values and principles that govern our lives," Carson told the judge, adding that their families vacationed together and that they were involved in "joint projects."
"Next to my wife of 32 years, there is no one on this planet that I trust more than Al Costa," Carson said.
Costa has served on the board of Carson's charity, the Carson Scholars Fund, and continues to lead the charity's fundraising efforts in the Pittsburgh area to provide $1,000 college scholarships to children in need.
Carson's appeal for leniency toward Costa contradicts the draconian criminal penalties he called for in his 2013 political treatise, "America the Beautiful." In his book, Carson wrote that anyone found guilty of health care fraud should face what he called the "Saudi Arabian Solution."
"Why don't people steal very often in Saudi Arabia?" Carson asked. "Obviously because the punishment is the amputation of one or more fingers. I would not advocate chopping off people's limbs, but there would be some very stiff penalties for this kind of fraud, such as loss of one's medical license for life, no less than 10 years in prison, and loss of all of one's personal possessions."
Despite the tough-on-crime message, Carson and his wife kept their investment with Costa in the years since his conviction.
This is just what I would expect of someone like Carson, the little people must be punished but he and his cronies should be afford special treatment. I dont really care if he got an offer to West Point or not, but being a decidedly disingenuous huckster makes him ineligible for public office of any kind.

AP: Carson Profits From Ties With Felon Convicted Of Health Care Fraud

Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
If Obama's ties to terrorists don't disqualify him, then this is another big nothing burger.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:19 AM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
hmmm needs more info-- go for it news paparazzi

Old 11-12-2015, 09:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorow View Post
if obama's ties to terrorists don't disqualify him, then this is another big nothing burger.
^^^ lol

Old 11-12-2015, 10:22 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
If Obama's ties to terrorists don't disqualify him, then this is another big nothing burger.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:57 PM

401 posts, read 287,253 times
Then stop whining about Obamas shortcomings and sketchy friends if you're just going to condone the behavior in your GOP heros. Is that the GOP platform?

Old 11-12-2015, 01:15 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
Then stop whining about Obamas shortcomings and sketchy friends if you're just going to condone the behavior in your GOP heros. Is that the GOP platform?
Obama's been elected twice and I suspect you voted for him both times.
What's good enough for Obama should be good enough for others.
So why are you "concerned" and starting the thread?

Old 11-12-2015, 01:28 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Obama's been elected twice and I suspect you voted for him both times.
What's good enough for Obama should be good enough for others.
So why are you "concerned" and starting the thread?
Exactly this. The Democrats usually have no problems with liars and felons. It's false outrage and very desperate.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:54 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Obama's buddy actually got people killed and he used violence. It's a very different situation.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:04 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,648 times
Quote:
This is just what I would expect of someone like Carson, the little people must be punished but he and his cronies should be afford special treatment. I dont really care if he got an offer to West Point or not, but being a decidedly disingenuous huckster makes him ineligible for public office of any kind.

AP: Carson Profits From Ties With Felon Convicted Of Health Care Fraud

Yeah, if that were the case, Obama would have gone down for his close relationship with Felon and current prison resident Tony Resko!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections