U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2015, 12:47 PM
 
66,239 posts, read 30,145,317 times
Reputation: 8606

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I've followed birtherism long enough to know all of this.
Then you get it. "Born a citizen" is not the same as "natural born citizen." Thank you for agreeing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2015, 01:05 PM
 
15,367 posts, read 5,679,401 times
Reputation: 11511
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then you get it. "Born a citizen" is not the same as "natural born citizen." Thank you for agreeing!
What I said was, the term "natural born citizen" was never specifically defined, as in does it mean jus soli or jus sanguinis or both, so we rely on case law for that, which has determined either is enough to qualify. But there are only two kinds of citizenship--birthright citizenship and naturalized citizenship. So no, I don't agree. "Born a citizen" would imply the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2015, 01:50 PM
 
20,315 posts, read 9,823,088 times
Reputation: 4381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Same here. Where's Orly Taitz and Trump on this?
trump flip-flopped on the issue. first he claimed that cruz "perhaps" wasn't eligible. then, after a private meeting with cruz, trump claimed that "every lawyer" has looked into it and found that cruz is eligible.

no clue what happened to orly. possibly she went back to being spokesmodel for planter's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2015, 02:59 PM
 
66,239 posts, read 30,145,317 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
What I said was, the term "natural born citizen" was never specifically defined
Neither is the term "is."

Like I said... for those who don't know, 'born a citizen' is not the same as 'natural born citizen.' That was irrevocably established by the original Constitutional Convention...

The NBC clause as originally presented by Alexander Hamilton in June 1787:

"No person shall be eligible to the office of President of the United States unless he be now a Citizen of one of the States, or hereafter be born a Citizen of the United States."

The NBC clause as adopted in September 1787, and as it exists in the Constitution:

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President"

Note the difference: 'born a citizen' does not equal 'natural born Citizen.' The term was specifically changed after John Jay's July 1787 letter to George Washington to block any chance of future Presidents owing allegiance to other foreign nations or having foreign claims on their allegiance since birth from becoming President and Commander of the Military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2015, 03:41 PM
 
15,367 posts, read 5,679,401 times
Reputation: 11511
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Neither is the term "is."

Like I said... for those who don't know, 'born a citizen' is not the same as 'natural born citizen.' That was irrevocably established by the original Constitutional Convention...

The NBC clause as originally presented by Alexander Hamilton in June 1787:

"No person shall be eligible to the office of President of the United States unless he be now a Citizen of one of the States, or hereafter be born a Citizen of the United States."

The NBC clause as adopted in September 1787, and as it exists in the Constitution:

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President"

Note the difference: 'born a citizen' does not equal 'natural born Citizen.' The term was specifically changed after John Jay's July 1787 letter to George Washington to block any chance of future Presidents owing allegiance to other foreign nations or having foreign claims on their allegiance since birth from becoming President and Commander of the Military.
I know your idea of having a discussion is to simply post and repost the same thing, again and again and again. It doesn't change the fact that nowhere in your post, or repost (or when you repost this again the next time) does it ever define the term.

And also nowhere does it ever say that "born a citizen" and "natural born citizen" aren't two ways of saying the same thing. YOU have inferred that, but offer absolutely nothing but your own opinion to back it up.

Show us some proof that they are not the same thing, rather than just a change of wording.

You can't, because there are only two classes of citizens: birthright citizens, which includes both jus soli and jus sanguinis citizens; or people who come here and go through the process to become naturalized. That's it. Just those two.

And you reposting the same stuff again will not change that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,103,626 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Some wannabe looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

I predict the formal legal response to both challenges will be "Go away son, y'bother me."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Oh, lord spare us from the fools.

Is that why Clown Trump was a birther? In order to promote his own celebrityness? I should have known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 07:46 AM
 
20,315 posts, read 9,823,088 times
Reputation: 4381
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Like I said... for those who don't know, 'born a citizen' is not the same as 'natural born citizen.'
... and the congressional research service believes that it is. so hopefully this challenge will make it to court and have that dispute settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,587 posts, read 33,575,550 times
Reputation: 51684
How can someone who is not a resident of NH have a say in who is on their ballot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 08:17 AM
 
412 posts, read 318,863 times
Reputation: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How can someone who is not a resident of NH have a say in who is on their ballot?
Because the candidate on the ballot is for President of the United States, not the President of NH.

Personally, I am all for having this issue settled once and for all by the Supreme Court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2015, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
29,287 posts, read 39,605,925 times
Reputation: 18707
I recall that much of the (manufactured) controversy over Obama was that he was not born in the US and did not have a valid US-issued birth certificate. In the case of Cruz, there is no question he was born abroad and that he maintained his citizenship in another country until quite recently. He is a Canadian, if anything, not an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top