Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 12:14 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A "view" is not a law nor a Constitutional requirement.
And yet, the majority of your posts in this thread are exactly that, your view on what the SC meant, even though it's not what they actually said anywhere at any time in any opinion ever. But somehow your view should have weight and other views that disagree with yours shouldn't.

Like wrecking ball said, I hope this eventually makes it to the SC so we can read what they actually say instead of what birthers insist they meant to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 12:17 PM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Hillary claims her overzealous state staff and/or supporters did it, not her.
`
offer up some kind of evidence to support this claim and i'll believe it. until then it's just baseless speculation thrown for the sole purpose to support your belief.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:18 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And yet, the majority of your posts in this thread are exactly that, your view on what the SC meant
No, they are not my "view." They're the exact closing words of the ruling in which Gray himself limits the effect of the ruling.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
So for the koolaid drinkers, ....
this ad hominem attack always busts me up. the "kool-aid" implication is that someone is "blindly" following without knowing the facts...... but it's usually thrown out be someone relying on speculation and/or personal belief, not facts.

Last edited by wrecking ball; 11-16-2015 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 12:22 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:

I really don't even know why I sometimes engage with some of you, because it is intellectually not a fair fight. More importantly, even if I give someone credit for having a blind spot (i.e. support D's so you see no wrong with them), then wild speculation with no evidence to support it is proffered.
For example, just because I mention how members of Hillary's own staff started the opposition research against Obama (which is a fact), I am then called a birther by someone who wants to object to those facts.
No, you are labeled a birther because no matter how many times it is shown to you that Hillary's campaign never started the birther stuff, you repeat it as if you were never shown the proof otherwise. You choose to believe birther lore rather than the truth.

Now maybe that makes you simply a myopic ideologue of the right, but if you take up with birthers you can expect to get some birther on you as well.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:37 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
Cruz is the Canadian Manchurian Candidate....hes going to try and turn the US into a bigger?, better, Canada!!!! He is going to ruin our Freedom fires by making them into poutine!!!

LOL - That makes me want to vote for him more, since Canada is more free that the US. But I will demand impeachment if he uses his executive orders to replace all Starbucks with Tom Horton's!!

Old 11-16-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Again, 'born a citizen' is NOT the same as 'natural born citizen.' That's why the Constitutional Convention changed the term from the former to the latter in the Constitutional requirement for POTUS after John Jay's letter to Washington stressing the importance of preventing those with foreign allegiance from attaining an executive position within our federal government and being Commander in Chief.

The State Dept explains the problem of being born with dual (or more) nationality:
Dual Nationality

To illustrate the problem being born with dual (or even multiple) nationalities presents, how many of you know that what precipitated the War of 1812 was another country legally claiming born dual citizen Americans' allegiance and impressing them into military service for their country because as foreign citizens as well as Americans, the foreign country had a valid legal right to do so to those American citizens?

What happens when a foreign country similarly impresses a POTUS into service for them, as they most certainly would have the legal right to do under international law?

That's what the Founding Fathers were trying to avoid with the 'natural born citizen' requirement. They wanted POTUS to have no split, dual, or otherwise compromised allegiance from birth.

Pretty simple, really. And extremely reasonable to expect a POTUS to have 100% allegiance to the U.S. from birth, with no competing/conflicting foreign claims on his/her allegiance.
Cruz was unaware of his dual citizenship until the Dallas Morning News Reported it in August 2013. In fact, even Cruz' parents were unaware, because the citizenship was automatically endowed upon Cruz without the family's knowledge. Cruz officially renounced his Canadian Citizenship on May 14, 2014.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one creating my own reality. You and others are.

The impressment of American dual citizens into military service for a foreign country before the War of 1812 REALLY happened.

The US State Dept to this day REALLY warns that...

"The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

...dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there."
Which means nothing since Cruz renounced his citizenship to Canada and upon first learning about it in 2013, stated that he was born an American and intends to be an American. Thus, making it crystal clear that Cruz has never held allegiance to any nation other than the USA.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:59 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Cruz was unaware of his dual citizenship until the Dallas Morning News Reported it in August 2013. In fact, even Cruz' parents were unaware, because the citizenship was automatically endowed upon Cruz without the family's knowledge. Cruz officially renounced his Canadian Citizenship on May 14, 2014.
Naturalized citizens also renounce their former foreign citizenships when they take the naturalization oath. Still doesn't make them eligible for POTUS.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Cruz was unaware of his dual citizenship until the Dallas Morning News Reported it in August 2013. In fact, even Cruz' parents were unaware, because the citizenship was automatically endowed upon Cruz without the family's knowledge.
i've always been suspect about this claim. i find it hard to believe a person with the level of law education that cruz has, and knowledge of his canadian birth, never took the time to easily research canadian citizenship law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections