U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:47 AM

19,715 posts, read 11,521,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Sanders has stated that he will not run third party.

“If it happens that I do not win that process, would I run outside of the system? No, I made the promise that I would not and I will keep that promise,” Sanders said. “And the reason for that is I do not want to be responsible for electing some right-wing Republican to be president of the United States.”

Would Bernie Sanders Run as Third-Party Independent Candidate? | Mediaite

I believe him.
I am crushed that Waldo didn't think I knew what Bernie wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 12:21 AM

3,902 posts, read 4,874,540 times
Retract your claws and play nice.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:30 AM

46,054 posts, read 29,416,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Retract your claws and play nice.
It is hard to do when the Trump the Birther supporters get going with their nonsense.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:27 AM

44,339 posts, read 17,695,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is hard to do when the Trump the Birther supporters get going with their nonsense.
The forum does have an "ignore" feature. If you are vexed by other's posts then put them on ignore. Problem solved.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:35 AM

4,827 posts, read 2,325,149 times
Ummm - you may have to write it out for him. After last night's debate - Bernie still thinking that Global Warming is America's biggest threat - he lost a lot of the respect I had for him.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:35 AM

20,978 posts, read 16,213,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Sorry Waldo, Bernie would rather have a Clinton presidency than split the vote and end up with a right wing republican extremist -- or a complete incompetent in the WH. Bernie loves America too much.
Then why is he running?

Old 11-15-2015, 05:00 AM

44,339 posts, read 17,695,102 times
Quote:
I am crushed that Waldo didn't think I knew what Bernie wanted.
Your opinion of me is irrelevant. The topic is about what Bernie Sanders has done. You have yet to make one single post about that. Just partisan rants on why he won't run against King Hillary.

Get back to me when you wish to have a real discussion but I take it that wasn't your reason for posting here.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:19 AM

34,584 posts, read 33,570,813 times
What I don't get is the number of people, like the Daily Kos, who don't know what an accomplishment is. Actions are not accomplishments. Accomplishment is the result of your actions accompanied by numbers/dollars.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/10/...-for-Us-Lately

~During his tenure as mayor, he balanced the city budget, drew a minor league baseball team to Burlington, turned the formerly industrial waterfront into a mixed-use district featuring housing, parks, and public space. Burlington is now reported to be one of the most livable cities in the nation.

This looks pretty good on the surface minus the "is now reported to be" squishy language of the last sentence that should be eliminated altogether because surely he's not taking credit for Burlington's current ranking since he hasn't been the mayor since 1989, 26 years ago. Perhaps if we knew Burlington's ranking as a most livable city in 1990. What was the quantifiable benefit of the minor league team? Did it create X number of jobs? Did it bring in X number of tourists? It also begs the question, did Sanders drive out the waterfront industry?

~Votes against a measure providing President George H. W. Bush with authorization to use military force in the Gulf War. "I have a real fear that the region is not going to be more peaceful or more stable after the war," he says at the time.

Voting is his job. It is an action not an accomplishment. It didn't really stop Bush, either.

~Co-founded the Congressional Progressive Caucus and chaired the group for its first 8 years.

So what? What did they accomplish? Made up example: I could say I chaired my local Girl Scout troop cookie drive for a year. Not an accomplishment. My accomplishment would be the troop sold 200 more boxes of cookies than the previous 3 years. And/or the accomplishment would be the troop took in $800 more dollars than the previous year. If the Congressional Progressive Caucus actually produced some accomplishments, I'm sure we would be told about them.

~In 1992, Congress passes Sanders' first signed piece of legislation to create the National Program of Cancer Registries. All 50 states now run registries to help cancer researchers gain important insights.

Like what? Impress us.

~Voted against the Clinton-era North American Free Trade Agreement, which we now know sent millions of American jobs overseas.

~Sanders is one of only 67 votes against the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act, which denied federal benefits to same-sex couples legally married. It took 17 years to overturn this Act

~About 10 years before the 2008 Wall Street crash spins the world economy into a massive recession, Sanders votes "no" on a bill to undo decades of financial regulations enacted after the Great Depression. The House passed the bill 362-57 over Sanders' objection.

~Sanders votes against the USA Patriot Act. "All of us want to protect the American people from terrorist attacks, but in a way that does not undermine basic freedoms," Sanders says at the time.

~Sanders votes against the Bush-Cheney war in Iraq. He warns at the time that an invasion could "result in anti-Americanism, instability and more terrorism." We now know that that war was one of the worst foreign policy decisions in our history.

Voting is his job. For cryin' out loud, all he has to do is go yea or nay. Your mailman could have done that. NAFTA passed. We went to war. What did he accomplish?

~Standing up against the major pharmaceutical companies, Sanders becomes the first member of Congress to take seniors across the border to Canada to buy lower-cost prescription drugs. The congressman continues his bus trips to Canada with a group of breast cancer patients the following April. These women are able to purchase their medications in Canada for almost one-tenth the price charged in the States.

"Standing up"
"Championing"
"Fighting for"
"Met with"

...are not accomplishments, they are actions. Are you listening Hillary Clinton? If Sanders could mention results of his actions in dollars or numbers he might have an accomplishment.

~Thanks to Sanders' efforts, IBM agreed to a $320 million legal settlement with some 130,000 IBM workers and retirees.

Hooray, some numbers, this one is promising. Now what were his efforts that makes this attributed to him and what makes it a good thing?

Look we could go through every one of them but if you have to ask at the end of them "And what was the result?" then all you have are actions, not accomplishments.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:39 AM

19,715 posts, read 11,521,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Ummm - you may have to write it out for him. After last night's debate - Bernie still thinking that Global Warming is America's biggest threat - he lost a lot of the respect I had for him.
and the Pentagon agrees:
Pentagon Signals Security Risks of Climate Change

Your post makes it sound as if the world didn't know the threat of terrorism before Paris attack.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:47 AM

15,367 posts, read 5,674,773 times
Quote:
and the Pentagon agrees:
Pentagon Signals Security Risks of Climate Change

Your post makes it sound as if the world didn't know the threat of terrorism before Paris attack.
Virtually every civilized country in the world knows it except for Conservative cretins in the U.S. They make Americans look like a bunch of uneducated idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or