U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 09:54 AM

19,715 posts, read 11,525,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Conservative from the word conserve, use less of. Beliefs in the constitution and states rights. Nothing to do with religion.
Any other definition, meaning yours, is just tabloid garbage.

When you can't discuss policy because big government is a big failure the thing to do is falsely label and vilify. Truth is treason to some.
That may be where the word 'conservative' derives but that's not what modern conservatism believes. Modern conservatives are all for using the government as a tool to achieve their objectives. In many states, so-called conservatives, passed intrusive laws, that mandate to the square inch, specifications for abortion clinics, in order to make it difficult to maintain such a clinic.

Modern conservatives were unrestrained at using federal power to overrule the Florida court system, in order to undue their decision they didn't like regarding a brain-dead woman (Terry Schiavo). Somehow, it's ok for conservatives to forget about state's rights when it's an issue they disagree.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:50 AM

44,344 posts, read 17,716,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The Washington Post's news articles are, well, news without an ideological bias. Their editors can swing either way. I find it amusing that conservatives won't believe news articles from WaPo or the NY Times, but will link to the Washington Times, which does mix viewpoint into their news articles.
It's the author, not the source.

I take it that you didn't even bother to read the article. It's clear enough where this stands from the very first line on that page.
Stanley B. Greenberg, a Democratic pollster and chief executive of the firm Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research, is author of the new book “America Ascendant.”
He's bought and paid for by the Democrats. No way is he going to write something to upset them lest their money for his polls disappears. Furthermore he shilling for his book which is one long cheerlead for the Democrats. Fodder for DNC partisans, but nothing useful for anyone else.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 11-15-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 11-15-2015, 10:51 AM

14,656 posts, read 10,558,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Didn't the election in Kentucky proved otherwise. It went Republican while it has been Democrat for a long time.
Only the 9th Republican governor in Kentucky's history - the second in 40 years. Beshear, the Democratic current governor, was a well liked, popular leader, but he was the ultimate DINO and was flexible on working with both parties. People weren't all that thrilled to elect Bevin, the new future governor, but his "I belong to a different party than Obama" campaign was very effective. Conway very briefly attempted the same tact (I belong to a different party than Mitch McConnell) and found that it gave him no additional traction so it was discontinued. That ought to tell you something.
When I post in bold red that is moderator action and, per the TOS, can only be discussed through Direct Message.Moderator - Asia, Arkansas (w/ subforums), Kentucky (w/ subforums), Military Life, and P&OC

Old 11-15-2015, 10:56 AM

4,998 posts, read 1,990,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
...if the facts in this article are correct, and they are footnoted. In the last four years there has been a major shift in the electorate, and fewer voters than ever are identifying as conservative. More of them, however, are embracing diversity and equal rights, and more of them are living in single households and rejecting organized religion and traditional mores.

In short, this election could change the face and character of the GOP for good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...mepage%2Fstory

Meh, Stanley Greenberg is a Clintonista using cherry-picked facts and magical thinking as pom-poms.

Were he to stop fiddling long enough, he would see there is trouble in "Rome":

Democratic Party Hopes No One Watches Democratic Debates

Check out the comments, Bernie voters are already talking about sitting out the general election.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's the author, not the source.

I take it that you didn't even bother to read the article. It's clear enough where this stands from the very first line on that page.
Stanley B. Greenberg, a Democratic pollster and chief executive of the firm Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research, is author of the new book “America Ascendant.”
He's bought and paid for by the Democrats. No way is he going to write something to upset the lest their money for his polls disappears. Furthermore he shilling for his book that he's pushing which is one long cheerlead for the Democrats.
I wasn't responding to this particular article. I was responding to what the poster said about the Washington Post in general, namely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres
Your topic got my interest enough to click onto it and read it, but once I saw where the link is from, I stopped right there and did not open it.

The Washington Post is one of, if not the, most liberal newspaper out there.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:52 AM

806 posts, read 453,882 times
Just to add a little extra, the Washington Post is well known to be basically Democratic and basically Liberal. Even today on one of Sunday morning shows, I was listening to a female commentator and I said to myself "who is this person"?? and I waited for a name and info to pop up on the bottom of the screen.

Washington Post...

Old 11-15-2015, 11:55 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,562,499 times
Demographics and what people actually want don't mean anything if they don't turn out to vote.

Right wing nuts may be a shrinking minority, but they show up at the polls.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:59 AM

15,367 posts, read 5,681,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Demographics and what people actually want don't mean anything if they don't turn out to vote.

Right wing nuts may be a shrinking minority, but they show up at the polls.
Yes, they do. Our only hope is that they die off before they get a chance to stack the SC, which would give their backward minority views a lot of power well beyond the grave. That is why it's important that we keep a Democrat in the White House. And that is why I, and many other Democrats, will vote for Hillary even if she isn't our first choice, should she become the nominee.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Just to add a little extra, the Washington Post is well known to be basically Democratic and basically Liberal. Even today on one of Sunday morning shows, I was listening to a female commentator and I said to myself "who is this person"?? and I waited for a name and info to pop up on the bottom of the screen.

Washington Post...
If WaPo is so Democrat and liberal, why did they endorse so many Republican politicians, such as Maryland Governor Robert Ehrlich and every Republican incumbent for Congress in Northern Virginia?

Old 11-15-2015, 12:12 PM

71,682 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
...if the facts in this article are correct, and they are footnoted. In the last four years there has been a major shift in the electorate, and fewer voters than ever are identifying as conservative. More of them, however, are embracing diversity and equal rights, and more of them are living in single households and rejecting organized religion and traditional mores.

In short, this election could change the face and character of the GOP for good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...mepage%2Fstory
Let's just say: look where the information came from and who did the poll? You are talking about a liberal paper and a Dem pollster. Let's not get too excited and don't forget the headlines said "COULD BE" there is a huge difference between could and will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections