Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:46 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,440,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Exactly, the last few election cycles have seen Republicans gain more and more control. Republicans will take the presidency in 2016 allowing us to finally right the ship from all this politically correct BS!
Dream on.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:15 AM

752 posts, read 562,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
"As for social trends ... Hispanics and Asians switching sides in the last election ... are going to continue to buoy the GOP to new heights."
Looking at the national House exit polls for 2014 and 2010, the Hispanic margin remained unchanged, but Republicans did perform better among Asian voters. A Democratic advantage will inevitably resurface in 2016 (when the median Asian voter will be younger and less well-off), but were Republicans to hold the margin to, say, 20%, that would certainly be a welcome development. 10% would constitute grounds for celebration. That said, losing the Asian vote 45/55 in perpetuity doesn't reverse the GOP's demographic attrition — it just slows it. In fact, even at parity or a slight Republican advantage, the erosion continues. As immigration hardliners have pointed out, trading an ethnic cohort you win 60/40 for one you win 55/45 is still a lousy exchange. Of course, in reality, the dynamic is far more lopsided — the most Republican demographic (elderly whites) is being replaced by the least (young minorities).

Old 11-15-2015, 05:15 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,353,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Looking at the national House exit polls for 2014 and 2010, the Hispanic margin remained unchanged, but Republicans did perform better among Asian voters.....
Why?

The Republicans now control the Senate, Control the House by historical margins, Hold most of the Governorships in the USA and control a majority of the state legislatures. All of this has occurred since 2010.

This speaks for itself.

Again the failure of this theory is that all race/ethnic blocks think and act exactly alike. Hispanics come from 26 different very diverse countries, there is huge variations in their backgrounds and life experiences, and consist of any race. It's folly to prognosticate that Hispanics all will think and vote exactly alike. Same with Asians. There is only one demographic in the USA that does this, and even there, support for Democrats has dropped from 95% to 80%. And let us not forget, that Whites make up 77% of the vote.

The basic fundamental problem for the Democrats, which the Democratic Pollster who wrote the article failed to grasp, is that it's the Middle Class which has abandoned the DNC and this cuts across all demographics (with one possible exception). This is why what he has written is nonsense.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:44 AM

9,294 posts, read 16,576,057 times
I changed my voter registration from Republican to - NO PARTY. Not because of ethnic diversity or the GOP party, but because I am so fed up with ALL of the DC crowd, from Obama, who in my opinion, has increased racism tremendously, to the entire Congress, who have failed for YEARS to do anything positive for the American people.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:15 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,353,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I changed my voter registration from Republican to - NO PARTY. Not because of ethnic diversity or the GOP party, but because I am so fed up with ALL of the DC crowd, from Obama, who in my opinion, has increased racism tremendously, to the entire Congress, who have failed for YEARS to do anything positive for the American people.
I did the same here but I was a life long registered Democrat. Non Affiliated now. Thankfully my state holds open primaries so I can still vote in either one.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:18 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,648,206 times
Didn't the election in Kentucky proved otherwise. It went Republican while it has been Democrat for a long time.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:25 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,141,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Dude, we've heard this same argument 1,958,894 times in the past seven years. "Republicans are finished! It's a whole new country! If you don't vote for a 'path to citizenship' for illegal aliens you'll never win an election in this country!" And yet the Republicans keep winning elections. Give it up.
They have won local elections (ya know--elected by their base and gerry-mandered districts). Huge difference than a national election.

The GOP has not won the popular vote in 5 out of the last 6 presidential elections, and ignoring this fact is why they call it the 'republican bubble.'

Old 11-15-2015, 10:18 AM

11,989 posts, read 5,229,995 times
The 2016 election will give us a better picture of where we stand. If the Repubs prevail, it will mean that the traditional two term limit of party control of the White House still holds. In that case, with the GOP control of Congress, they will be able to reshape the role of the Federal government to their liking and through appointments control the Supreme Court for years. In that scenario, their long term success will depend on whether or not they overplay their hand by going further than the voters will accept.

If Hillary wins, despite being a lesser politician than either Bill or Barry, despite being nearly 70 years old, and despite voter fatigue with Obama, it will be interpreted as evidence that the "Coalition of the Ascendant" is reality, rather than mere conjecture, and that while successful in relatively low turnout off year elections, and in overwhelmingly white Red States, the GOP is fighting a losing battle in Presidential elections until they receive more support from the minority and college graduate, particularly college women, sectors of the electorate.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:47 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,867,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Your topic got my interest enough to click onto it and read it, but once I saw where the link is from, I stopped right there and did not open it.

The Washington Post is one of, if not the, most liberal newspaper out there.
The Washington Post's news articles are, well, news without an ideological bias. Their editors can swing either way.

I find it amusing that conservatives won't believe news articles from WaPo or the NY Times, but will link to the Washington Times, which does mix viewpoint into their news articles.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:49 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,365,430 times
I think there will be continued polarization of the electorate both in party affiliation and with election results divided between POTUS and non POTUS. If Clinton wins in 2016 and the GOP has minimal losses or less in 2016, look for Clinton to have to deal with a near veto proof GOP congress in 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections