U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 02:09 PM

12,300 posts, read 7,934,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Except for the times that they aren't and elect someone from the same party.
The last time a different democrat was elected after the complete term of a previous democrat was in the 1850's.

History is not kind to repeat party elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 02:30 PM

46,054 posts, read 29,429,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The last time a different democrat was elected after the complete term of a previous democrat was in the 1850's.

History is not kind to repeat party elections.
Actually your comment was about either party, though Truman did win his election after a Democrat was in office for 3 1/2 terms. Also, Johnson won his election after JFK, though that might be a technicality.

As for Republicans, Bush won after Reagan's 2 terms, Hoover won after Coolidge, Taft after Roosevelt.

So basically, I say that the whole idea that the party in office can't win after a president does two terms is a myth because there is proof in recent history that it does happen unless your name is Bush and you just sent the country into a spiraling recession and stuck in two different wars.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:35 PM

51,670 posts, read 41,621,215 times
Quote:
I think voter turnout for the Democrats is still going to be 60+ million. If you see Ohio, Virginia, or Florida go blue, then the race is pretty much over because a Republican would need to win all three of those states, plus other Red States to hope to win this election.
The point I'm making is that Hillary < Obama.

Assuming she wins states just because Obama won them is not smart unless you are talking about a gimme state like NY.

You said you couldn't see the Repubs getting to 270 and I gave you a clear example of 3 states that are feasibly within reach which would do it.

Not saying it's going to happen, but you seem to be indicating it's going to be nearly impossible but haven't made your case IMO.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Link me to a thread where the majority said it was impossible for Democrats to lose the senate ???????

I think most Dems realized it was possible, but believed we would hold on to enough seats to keep it.

believing you will keep the senate is not the same as saying it is impossible to lose it.
Ok ok....just so we are completely clear hear you are arguing after having been around this forum for years that it's just the republican posters that can be delusional about election chances?

Really? That sounds um....delusional.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The point I'm making is that Hillary < Obama.

Assuming she wins states just because Obama won them is not smart unless you are talking about a gimme state like NY.

You said you couldn't see the Repubs getting to 270 and I gave you a clear example of 3 states that are feasibly within reach which would do it.

Not saying it's going to happen, but you seem to be indicating it's going to be nearly impossible but haven't made your case IMO.
I am saying the Republicans would have to sweep every swing state to win the election while the Democrats only need to win one of the swing states to push them over.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:40 PM

44,344 posts, read 17,721,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Oh for sure. NC, now the 9th largest state in the union, voted for Obama in '08.

Hillary Clinton will never win an election in NC as the people of that state see the Clintons for what they are and absolutely will not be pulling the lever for her.

Why? NC has a large thriving middle class they all know too well the war that the DNC has waged against them in the last 8 years.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:41 PM

12,300 posts, read 7,934,179 times
Quote:
Actually your comment was about either party, though Truman did win his election after a Democrat was in office for 3 1/2 terms. Also, Johnson won his election after JFK, though that might be a technicality.

As for Republicans, Bush won after Reagan's 2 terms, Hoover won after Coolidge, Taft after Roosevelt.

So basically, I say that the whole idea that the party in office can't win after a president does two terms is a myth because there is proof in recent history that it does happen unless your name is Bush and you just sent the country into a spiraling recession and stuck in two different wars.
All of those democrats that were elected were essentially running for a second term which increases the chances of reelection, historically, most presidents are re elected. The democrats have not had two back to back presidents without someone dying in 150 years.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
All of those democrats that were elected were essentially running for a second term which increases the chances of reelection, historically, most presidents are re elected. The democrats have not had two back to back presidents without someone dying in 150 years.
Well I guess 2016 will be the time it happens.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:50 PM

590 posts, read 781,109 times
But..But..But..She has a vagina!!!

Oh...and 911 too!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2015, 02:52 PM

So here goes.....don't even have to get off the first page of this thread......there some really delusional whoppers throughout it....enjoy!

Election projection: Senate +7 GOP Pick UP/House +8 Pick up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections