U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:00 AM

15,366 posts, read 5,691,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Ben Carson was the topic of this morning's "Seventh Day Atheist" podcast. Give it a listen. It is very enlightening about Seventh Day Adventists and their political attitudes. For the most part, up until quite recently, they were pretty much considered apolitical folks. The hosts also discussed the interesting question of how can you trust a President who subscribes to a faith that believes the end of the world is "eminent" to make sound decisions affecting the country? How a President who subscribes to a faith that is so very anti-Catholic have a sound working relationship with the Pope? And the GC attitudes on allowing women to be ordained and hold high office. Will he thwart his faith and consider women for positions in his administration? And the "odd" things he says, they point out, may sound bizarre to "regular" folks, but is the norm for most Adventists they know. The two ladies who host these weekly podcasts were former Seventh Day Adventists themselves, as was my DH. He enjoys listening every week, because they bring up topics and trials he's dealt with in his life as a result of his SDA upbringing. And do their fair share of making fun of it (which he really enjoys).

My favorite part of today's podcast was when they played "guess the quotes"...quotes made by Ted Kaczynski, the Unibomber and Ben Carson, and listeners are asked to guess "which one said it". You may be really surprised!!!!!
Carson is a great illustration of why religious zealots of any flavor should never be allowed anywhere near the White House. I would put Huckabee and Cruz in that category, as well. And given the lengths Jeb! went to to thwart the law in the Terri Schiavo case in Florida based solely on his personal religious beliefs, I'd put him there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 10:14 AM

13,010 posts, read 6,229,411 times
I used to like Ben Carson, I read up about him 10 years ago. But I realized a few weeks ago that he is not the candidate regardless of the news. I have not kept up with the news. So I'm not surprised about that his campaign is not doing well.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:07 PM

21,308 posts, read 14,293,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In the Bloomberg poll they pit Carson against Trump:

Carson: Better temperament, cares about people like you, work most effectively with Congress, right values, most honest and trustworthy

Trump: Knows most about how to get things done, better at managing economy, do more to solve illegal immigration, best to combat Islamic terrorism, best at dealing with Putin, most appropriate life experience to be President.

I don't see Carson losing his distinct voters who value those things about him. The percentages were big for each of the two above. I don't see Trump getting Carson's voters anymore than I see Carson getting Trump's voters. Their voters prize different things in a candidate. In other words, I think they would be wasting their time trying to take each other out because neither would gain from it.

Then in the same poll they pit Rubio against Cruz.

That was a different story altogether. Rubio and Cruz are more evenly matched, numbers wise compared to Carson/Trump who very distinctively (wide margins) won their qualities. The two lawyer/senators are tied (within margin of error) on the economy, terror, life experience and knows how to get things done. As long as they both stay in the race, I don't think they are going anywhere poll-wise.
In such a strange political year, I think that Rubio and Cruz could cancel each other out when the campaigns all come down to the wire. If a brokered convention can happen in the 21st century, I expect it will come in 2016.

More and more, every day, the similarities to 1916 and 2016 are becoming more evident. The number of parallels is astonishing.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:16 AM

66,315 posts, read 33,652,276 times

It is the Media that has been projecting Trump over and over. Because they know what Ted Cruz(Like Ron Paul) means for them. They will take Trump over Ted.

It is not about who can beat who with the truth and ideas. Trump of all people has proved it is a popularity contest, not an intelligence contest.

Tell them what they want to hear and they will buy it every time. Sales 101.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:18 AM

18,072 posts, read 8,149,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
He's not the flavor of the month anymore, that's for certain. But I think it has less to do with Trump and more to do with Rubio and Cruz moving up in the polls as people consider Trump alternatives.
I think it has a lot to do with carson's frequent attacks on carson's presidential fitness.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:38 AM

1,676 posts, read 740,501 times
People were fools if they ever believed the (very few) polls showing Carson beating The Donald. It was just the media being so hopeful that Carson would overtake and defeat him, because they knew an establishment candidate would eventually be able to crush Carson and give the wealthy elitists more of the same. Of course Carson wasn't going to last---he's only in this to write a book. He's a liar and has no knowledge of world events.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 AM

13,010 posts, read 6,229,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri95 View Post
People were fools if they ever believed the (very few) polls showing Carson beating The Donald. It was just the media being so hopeful that Carson would overtake and defeat him, because they knew an establishment candidate would eventually be able to crush Carson and give the wealthy elitists more of the same. Of course Carson wasn't going to last---he's only in this to write a book. He's a liar and has no knowledge of world events.
He has written a lot of books before this. He is wealthy himself, almost $10 million in net worth.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:48 AM

14,590 posts, read 9,653,546 times
Iowa is the only place Carson is still showing some life, and even that is not for certain. Iowa is the most difficult place for Trump. If he can just hold his own there he will be on a roll in NH, SC and FL.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:52 AM

15,366 posts, read 5,691,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
He has written a lot of books before this. He is wealthy himself, almost $10 million in net worth.
Which doesn't mean he doesn't want more. He suspended his campaign to go on a book tour. He has no campaign manager, he has his business manager running his campaign. He's completely ignorant on most everything outside of an operating room and doesn't seem bothered in the least about that ignorance. And the only time we've seen him show any passion whatsoever is when his carefully crafted mythology of his life--the very thing that sells his books and ups his lecture fees--was questioned.

Question his ignorance on world affairs, no problem. He doesn't break a sweat, doesn't raise his voice, doesn't even fully open his eyes. Threaten his cash cow, suddenly we see fireworks out of him.

All of these things indicate that Carson is in it for one reason--to increase his value on the lecture circuit and increase his book sales.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:00 AM

14,590 posts, read 9,653,546 times
When it is all said and done he will be a millionaire off this campaign. He doesn’t care if he loses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or