U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:43 AM

34,602 posts, read 33,591,161 times

Advertisements

I've only been actively paying attention to what Trump says in front of crowds so I just went to YouTube and searched on each candidate's name (Carson, Rubio, Cruz, Bush) to see what kind of rallies/town halls the other candidates have held this past week. I just looked at the first page of YouTube search results of their name to see which voters they've been talking to (full speech) since November 13 (one week). All I found were a lot of news media clips when they did TV interviews. What's up with that? I can't imagine that they aren't speaking to crowds of potential voters somewhere for a whole week so is the problem that none of them know how to make good use of YouTube?

Trump: Wofford College, South Carolina (11-20), Newton, Iowa (11-19), Worcester, Mass (11-18), Knoxville, TN (11-16), Beaumont, Texas (11-14). All videos on YouTube.

Carson: Henderson, Nevada (11-16)

Cruz: Orlando, Fl (11-13)

Rubio: Orlando, FL (11-13)

Bush: Orlando, Fl (11-13)

The Orlando thing was a multi-candidate event so I'm guessing none of the campaigns put that video on YouTube, the organizers did. Even John Edwards had a videographer...okay, so he was fooling around with her. But seriously, I really believe they're talking to people. I just don't understand why their campaigns aren't recording it for YouTube. Look at the numbers of people who watched the full Trump speeches on YouTube: 148,482 - Texas, 41,000 - Iowa, 56,000 - Knoxville, 62,819 - Worcester.

The point is "Why aren't they helping themselves?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 04:40 AM

22,243 posts, read 15,272,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I've only been actively paying attention to what Trump says in front of crowds so I just went to YouTube and searched on each candidate's name (Carson, Rubio, Cruz, Bush) to see what kind of rallies/town halls the other candidates have held this past week. I just looked at the first page of YouTube search results of their name to see which voters they've been talking to (full speech) since November 13 (one week). All I found were a lot of news media clips when they did TV interviews. What's up with that? I can't imagine that they aren't speaking to crowds of potential voters somewhere for a whole week so is the problem that none of them know how to make good use of YouTube?

Trump: Wofford College, South Carolina (11-20), Newton, Iowa (11-19), Worcester, Mass (11-18), Knoxville, TN (11-16), Beaumont, Texas (11-14). All videos on YouTube.

Carson: Henderson, Nevada (11-16)

Cruz: Orlando, Fl (11-13)

Rubio: Orlando, FL (11-13)

Bush: Orlando, Fl (11-13)

The Orlando thing was a multi-candidate event so I'm guessing none of the campaigns put that video on YouTube, the organizers did. Even John Edwards had a videographer...okay, so he was fooling around with her. But seriously, I really believe they're talking to people. I just don't understand why their campaigns aren't recording it for YouTube. Look at the numbers of people who watched the full Trump speeches on YouTube: 148,482 - Texas, 41,000 - Iowa, 56,000 - Knoxville, 62,819 - Worcester.

The point is "Why aren't they helping themselves?"
Trump's a better actor..

Old 11-21-2015, 08:07 AM

7,310 posts, read 4,932,772 times
If they are talking to crowds, there's probably nothing to see. Politicians have no real conviction or energy, they just want to maintain the status quo and you can't get the crowd going on politics as usual.

Trump is a phenomenon. There is energy behind the entire movement and he looks great with crowds. Obama was too but not because he was generating anything authentic, it was because he was the first black president and the idea of that generated an energized crowd.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:30 AM

34,602 posts, read 33,591,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
If they are talking to crowds, there's probably nothing to see. Politicians have no real conviction or energy, they just want to maintain the status quo and you can't get the crowd going on politics as usual.

Trump is a phenomenon. There is energy behind the entire movement and he looks great with crowds. Obama was too but not because he was generating anything authentic, it was because he was the first black president and the idea of that generated an energized crowd.
Yes, but if the media isn't covering the other Republican candidates then they need to do something to help themselves. Looks like Trump is using Twitter and YouTube a lot more effectively than his opponents who seem to be counting on 5 - 10 minute segments with the news media for publicity.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:29 AM

26,297 posts, read 8,939,469 times
Being media challenged is a symptom of the underling problem.

They are afflicted with being message challenged. They have been schooled and practiced on a political style that says use a lot of words but don't say anything. When you talk a lot but don't really say anything no one can effectively call you out on your ideas or policy's. Certainly not your opponents who use the same style. The result is that you have a political class that is protected by a surrounding bubble of their own making. One analogy could be they resemble a school of fish. Some will be eaten but one will survive to win the prize of president as long as they stay within the school/rules they have agreed too. So they sound presidential and PC. It reminds me of the Aristocracy and speech of Old England.

Along comes Trump who sees them for what they are. Fish in a barrel. He is a leader and won't follow their unwritten rules. Uses plain speech and exposes them and the corruption they won't talk about. When they complained about his tone that is what they were, in fact, complaining about.
Old school politics says tell the people what they want to hear. It doesn't have to be the truth.
Trump must have thought why not just tell them the truth and see if that is what they want to hear and for many people it was.
Almost every rally Trump has he injects current event into it. Sometimes takes a position that seems outrageous and endures the critics. Then events unfold like Kate Steinle and Paris. People begin to understand what he is saying is not so outrageous and more worthy of consideration.
This keeps him relevant which is something the political class opponents can't compete with. All they have to go on is the past. They can't project bold leadership into the future the way Trump has. In true fish fashion they lay on the bank gasping for breath waiting to be gutted. They don't want that on video.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:07 PM

14,561 posts, read 9,631,062 times
Trump is not where he is at by accident. He works at it. He is in Alabama today. Just a day ago he was in SC and he sleeps in his bed every night. I don’t care if he has a private plane. It is still taxing. Add to that speaking from the top of his lungs for over an hour each time. And does it again the next day.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:30 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,416,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

They are afflicted with being message challenged.
Yes they are. Good, thoughtful post, I enjoyed it.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:40 PM

53 posts, read 22,379 times
Try searching Sanders on youtube and see how its done.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:59 PM

26,297 posts, read 8,939,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belfro View Post
Try searching Sanders on youtube and see how its done.
I did. They showed me several. I have a choice between the 5 inch random orbital Sanders and the 6 inch at a higher price. Both will remove wood well. The higher price 6 inch will do it faster. That is a lot like the Bernie Sanders method of removing money from your wallet. Get that extra inch and be broke in no time flat.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:16 PM

53 posts, read 22,379 times
Average after tax income of the top 1% increased 200% from 1979 to 2011. Average after tax income of the bottom 20% increased 26% from 1979 to 2011.

Talk about removing money from your wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or