Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I'm not sure why it's even being discussed. It's looking like he will be the inevitable Republican nominee. He's been leading in the polls for months. As much as the Fox News crowd has been trying to rally up Jeb! and Rubio, I can't see them or Carson overcoming Trump's lead at this point.
yes he is leading in polls, but he isn't dumb enough to think he is going to continue to hold that lead, especially with Carson starting to go south. Carson's support will start going to Cruz and Rubio to some extent. It already has some. As we get closer and Mr Trump starts being backed to telling us how he is going to accomplish all he says he can and continues to run his mouth he might slip just enough to decide to pull out. I am one of those who don't think he has any intentions of being President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 11:33 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
IIRC, Ross Perot's independent run cost over $60 million. I don't think Mr. Trump would cough up even 1/3 of that from his own pocket.
And that was in 1992 dollars. Not only is the dollar worth substantially less than it was almost a quarter century ago, but the cost of running for President has increased even proportionally to inflation-adjusted dollars. I'm inclined to think that Trump is just bluffing - to browbeat the GOP to treat him with kid gloves. Mostly, it's worked, because for about a third of the party, he's their narcissist/xenophobic/racist/blowhard wet dream while the other two-thirds of the party knows that if Trump loses the nomination, they still need the sizeable narcissist/xenophobic/racist/blowhard chunk of the base to have any chance to defeat Clinton. They are reaping what they've sown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I'm not sure why it's even being discussed. It's looking like he will be the inevitable Republican nominee. He's been leading in the polls for months. As much as the Fox News crowd has been trying to rally up Jeb! and Rubio, I can't see them or Carson overcoming Trump's lead at this point.
Well, some of us have seen a few Presidential elections now and have learned the lessons of history. We know the difference between polls taken during silly season and those voters who actually trudge out to vote in winter caucuses and primaries. Just ask Presidents Herman Cain, Rudy Giuliani and Ross Perot about that, all poll-dominators who couldn't win a single primary or caucus or carry a single state.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:38 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
The last time that a 3rd party candidate won states and their electors was in 1968. Humphrey (D), Nixon (R), Wallace(I)

Wallace was later shot when he tried it again in 1972.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:42 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
A dream come true for Democrats.

I think he's going to drop out all together at some point. I don't believe he wants to be President.

Too much work. Too big headache.
Ross Perot 2.0

Imagine that... a first term Clinton candidacy paired alongside a popular non-political conservative figure to siphon votes. We haven't seen that before have we?

Do not get emotionally attached to Trump.

REPEAT... Do not get emotionally attached to Trump.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Generally, we don't disagree, BUT the agreement/pledge was not legally binding. We all know how important that is in other facets in life. From the beginning, I have said that if he were not chosen as the GOP nominee that he would run 3rd party with the line "What can I say, my supporters love me so how can I let them down by not running?" He would have a point.
I know it wasn't a legally binding document, but I said when he signed it, and I believed it then and believe it now, that he had absolutely NO intention of honoring his stated intention. I don't like that sort of lack of character. He seems like a shyster to me - a con artist. He REEKS of con artist, actually.

Quote:
And, your candidate who is truthful would be? Truly, I would like to know. Obviously, not Hillary. Maybe Bernie as I haven't heard him called out on lying. Now, I actually support Ben Carson because I prefer an honest and intelligent candidate and am hard-pressed to find one among the choices. Although a tad bite too religious for me, that characteristic pales in comparison to what characteristics the other candidates demonstrate.
My candidate of choice is Ben Carson. I've even donated to his campaign (the first candidate I've ever given money to) and even bought a T shirt and have a bumper sticker on my vehicle for Carson.

So see - we really are still pretty much in agreement.

I will not vote for Trump. If he's the Republican nominee, I'll probably not vote for the first time in about 30 years.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Kinda how most of us feel about your boy, obamabo.
LOL I didn't vote for Obama - I can't stand him as either a man or as President.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:00 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
you know that's bogus Bull. Ludicrous!! My sapient sense tells me anytime someone mentions "spilt the vote" garbage scenario, it means they are Fearful that Trump has gained ENOUGH Support, Independent of any political Party, that he can be elected as a Independent !!

Polls are reflecting this time, this Presidential race is not about "R's" or "D's".....Only about the Best choice. Bout time !!
ROTFLMAO. Dream on. Only in your alternative universe does Trump appeal to the Democratic core, so Democrats are NOT going to vote for Trump in large numbers; all the bigots and assorted knuckle-draggers, cretins, and cowards who make up the Trumplette mob long ago abandoned the Democratic Party. They've been hanging on the fringes of the GOP, and now they've got themselves a real "hero".

Trump isn't likely to win any solid Red State and he's sure not going to take any solid Blue State, but he's going to split the GOP vote in the "swing states" like Ohio and Florida, giving those -- and the election -- to Hillary on a blue platter.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I didn't vote for Obama - I can't stand him as either a man or as President.
As usual, I share your view; I don't know where anyone would get the idea you are a Obama or Hillary supprter. I too may stay home and I have been voting for over 50 years.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:07 PM

1,676 posts, read 945,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
And that was in 1992 dollars. Not only is the dollar worth substantially less than it was almost a quarter century ago, but the cost of running for President has increased even proportionally to inflation-adjusted dollars. I'm inclined to think that Trump is just bluffing - to browbeat the GOP to treat him with kid gloves. Mostly, it's worked, because for about a third of the party, he's their narcissist/xenophobic/racist/blowhard wet dream while the other two-thirds of the party knows that if Trump loses the nomination, they still need the sizeable narcissist/xenophobic/racist/blowhard chunk of the base to have any chance to defeat Clinton. They are reaping what they've sown.

Well, some of us have seen a few Presidential elections now and have learned the lessons of history. We know the difference between polls taken during silly season and those voters who actually trudge out to vote in winter caucuses and primaries. Just ask Presidents Herman Cain, Rudy Giuliani and Ross Perot about that, all poll-dominators who couldn't win a single primary or caucus or carry a single state.
Cain and Giuliani never held the lead for as long as Trump did, and neither did Gingrich or Bachmann. That's a poor analogy. This is more than a campaign; it's a movement.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:23 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri95 View Post
Cain and Giuliani never held the lead for as long as Trump did, and neither did Gingrich or Bachmann. That's a poor analogy. This is more than a campaign; it's a movement.
Bowel?

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections