U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 01:14 PM

22,089 posts, read 9,380,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Karl Rove is most likely right about this one, at least in its current iteration.

There seems to be this fantasy that there is a huge group of secret hard right-wingers out there floating around, waiting for a sufficiently right-wing candidate to capture their anger and turn out to vote for that person in droves. In reality, most of the people doing that are already out there, in places like CD P&OC, message boards, and news article and Facebook comments everywhere. They're already voting for those right-wing candidates. Maybe a few on the extreme sat it out for McCain and Romney, but they're a small group.

In reality, most people - Democrats, Independents, and many Republicans alike - are turned off by Trump's current rhetoric. What is somewhat intriguing about Trump though is that he's likely a lot more moderate than he portrays himself to be. If he's able to tone down his rhetoric such that other Republicans, many Independents, and even some Democrats warm up to him due to their distrust of the current federal government and associated insiders, Trump could have a chance. But if he continues with the current racist and xenophobic message, that's going to turn off a majority of the electorate.
I agree with most of your post, but I don't know how 'moderate' Trump is these days. I've seriously questioned his sanity ever since he started the Birther Quest.

He appears to be getting nuttier by the day. His latest antics remind me of a kid at a birthday party where everyone has had too much sugar. He says something outrageous or immature and then looks around and sees his supporters laughing and patting him on the back, so he is encouraged and proceeds to act even crazier and more immature until the adult steps in and says "ok, kids--enough is enough".

He's already turned off too much of the electorate to realistically expect to be elected. Even if he came out right now and apologized for all of his childishly insulting behavior, I don't think most would trust that means he has changed.

Last edited by Enigma777; 11-26-2015 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 02:26 PM

22,576 posts, read 16,717,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Rove: Trump can't win general election | MSNBC

Says that the election season is very early. Remembers Gingrich, Caine, few other frontrunners in the last elections.

Says that Rubio, Cruz, Bush and several of the other candidates are still in it: Bush, Christie, Cruz, Kasich, Trump Rubio are his names.

Betting money: Rubio, Bush, Christie.

Sorry Trump fans.

Happy Thanksgiving.
LOL! This is rich. NOW Rove is credible?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! The salty tears are so delicious.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:23 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,107,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
LOL! This is rich. NOW Rove is credible?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! The salty tears are so delicious.
hands down more knowledgeable about American politics than anyone in this forum

Old 11-26-2015, 03:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,906,106 times
Rove is butthurt over Jeb's massive failure.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:55 PM

5,157 posts, read 3,678,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Rove is butthurt over Jeb's massive failure.
Yep, early on, everyone thought Bush would easily get the nomination, but now he's polling near the bottom of the pack and IMO, has no chance.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:17 PM

6,934 posts, read 2,473,969 times
If Trump doesn't do better than Mitt did in 2012 with minorities, he would need between 63% to 65% of the white vote to win the national popular vote in 2016. To do that he'll have to rival the white percentage that Reagan achieved in 1984. He's not going to do better than Mitt with Hispanics. He might do marginally better than the 5% black vote that Mitt received, but even mediocre Democratic candidates receive 88% or better of the black vote.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 11-26-2015 at 04:26 PM..

Old 11-26-2015, 08:06 PM

1,676 posts, read 739,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I agree with most of your post, but I don't know how 'moderate' Trump is these days. I've seriously questioned his sanity ever since he started the Birther Quest.

He appears to be getting nuttier by the day. His latest antics remind me of a kid at a birthday party where everyone has had too much sugar. He says something outrageous or immature and then looks around and sees his supporters laughing and patting him on the back, so he is encouraged and proceeds to act even crazier and more immature until the adult steps in and says "ok, kids--enough is enough".

He's already turned off too much of the electorate to realistically expect to be elected. Even if he came out right now and apologized for all of his childishly insulting behavior, I don't think most would trust that means he has changed.
He supports the rich paying more taxes, and single-payer health care. He wants to let Putin keep doing what he's doing in Syria. He makes no fuss--or little fuss--about abortion and gay marriage, especially compared to his rivals in the GOP. In many ways, he's the furthest left of all of them.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:39 PM

25,235 posts, read 13,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
While I am an outsider....It's actually become obvious...watching American Political rhetorics/votings..election of Candidates...WHOMEVER on GOP side..folks WILL vote for whomever is their elected candidate..regardless

However...Up here we have options..Yikes Partywise options is huge..Like about 10 different party's....Anyway.. It's an awful situation when any voter has to HOLD THEIR noses to vote.....IF doing so..ends up losing....ends up in HATE and vengeance mentality.. 2 party system just creates partisanships..

up hear..electing multi-party representatives brings other voices/opinions ..however after reading on C-D..It appears that it's either them or ME ideology mentality..

Nowhere is this world does any citizens believe 100% one way or other...SOOOO there must be ability to COMPROMISE..Yes..THAT word that GOP has NOT been able to UTTER since BO was elected.....BTW WHY?? Never mind..with Gridlock and inability to compromise means NOTHING gets done..regardless of who has control of house/Senate...LOL 2014 since GOP controlled both houses..WTH have they passed to make a difference...Committee's have wasted huge $$ investigating..Hadda!!

Bottomline is..Elected to progress forward..or else it's become promote rhetoric and hang governing for the PEOPLE!!
Well for as an "outsider" you have a better grasp of what is happening here than most "insiders". A storm is coming, pray we will not drag you guys into it.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:26 PM

6,546 posts, read 9,454,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I find myself in agreement with Rove. That's pretty much a first.
I agree 100% I really believe that Trump would never get 5% of the minority vote that alone means you have no chance in hell

Old 11-26-2015, 11:39 PM

20,586 posts, read 8,765,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
The crazytrain lefties sure spend a lot of energy on Trump. Their problem is all they have is Cankles.

I've told you before and I'll tell you again....your insulting remarks about women just make me want to vote for Hillary. And I don't even like her. But I guess she has my vote because of you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or