Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 07:18 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times

Advertisements

Because Trump will probably be screwed out of the win and the clause will be voided allowing him to run as a third candiate. Not in favor of Trump so hoping this doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 07:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Bernie would never do anything to harm the (D)'s. It's his biggest negative.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:00 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bernie would never do anything to harm the (D)'s. It's his biggest negative.
Bernie doesn't want to help a Republican into the White House. That makes it a pretty big positive to many people.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Bernie doesn't want to help a Republican into the White House. That makes it a pretty big positive to many people.
I'm sure it does......sadly. The idea that only a (R) is the alternative to the (D)'s is a huge part of our problem.

Bernie could make a big mark on history by trying to change that.

A Rubio, Trump, Clinton, Sanders election would be moving in a positive direction.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:12 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
First,
  • Trump signed pledge that he won't run as Independent if not nominated by GOP.
  • Bernie Sanders is quoted to have said he won't run as Independent if not nominated by DNC. (He does run as Independent for Congress)
So why is it that people who continue to raise spectre of Trump running as 3rd party candidate? Yet people continue to insist that Bernie Sanders won't do it?

Thoughts?
Because you expect a lying snake to do that.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:24 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Trump and Sanders have each been in the public eye for decades now. I doubt that either one has suddenly undergone a personality transplant.

So I expect Trump to do whatever he thinks will get him the position he wants. And I expect Sanders to do whatever he thinks will best advance the policies he has worked toward for his entire public life.

So that means that if Trump thinks that the only way he can ever be president is to run as an independent in 2016 (rather than try for the R nomination again in 2020 or 2024), he will do just that. And if Sanders thinks the best way to advance his agenda is to gracefully lose the D nomination to Clinton and work to get her elected, he will do just that.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:37 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZWXhxUfGHw

Trump (when asked if he'd consider an independent run): "I'll have to see what happens". He repeated that threat just 6 days ago.

Ken
Actually, that isn't a threat. And, as someone else noted, "if the GOP treats him fairly" which is not happening at this point. Seriously, if I got treated like dirt and every effort was made to under mind me, I would lose any loyalty I had for the group and could not endorse a candidate of the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Trump and Sanders have each been in the public eye for decades now. I doubt that either one has suddenly undergone a personality transplant.

So I expect Trump to do whatever he thinks will get him the position he wants. And I expect Sanders to do whatever he thinks will best advance the policies he has worked toward for his entire public life.

So that means that if Trump thinks that the only way he can ever be president is to run as an independent in 2016 (rather than try for the R nomination again in 2020 or 2024), he will do just that. And if Sanders thinks the best way to advance his agenda is to gracefully lose the D nomination to Clinton and work to get her elected, he will do just that.
^^^and that is the way it should work. I do think Bernie stepped up because no one really knew or knows what Clinton's status will be a year from now. Between her legal issues and health issues, she may not be the Democratic nominee. We have to be realistic, she is a dicey bet. Bernie is doing better in some of the polls and if the GOP runs a scrub, who knows what the outcome may be.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:53 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Actually, that isn't a threat. And, as someone else noted, "if the GOP treats him fairly" which is not happening at this point. Seriously, if I got treated like dirt and every effort was made to under mind me, I would lose any loyalty I had for the group and could not endorse a candidate of the party...
Of course it's a threat.
As far as "treating him fairly" - what the heck does THAT mean? Apparently it means whatever Trump WANTS it to mean.
Aside from that, the REASON he'll go 3rd party is not really important - nor does it change the fact that he WILL go 3rd party. You can count on that. Trump will go 3rd party and Hillary will win.

Ken

Old 11-28-2015, 10:00 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, Bernie never told a lie in his entire life? And you know this, how...?
Bernie Sanders has devoted his entire adult life to public service and governing according to his own principles. He would never do a third party run to assuage his ego and hurt the Democrats in the general election. Bernie is a very rational guy.

Trump is motivated by ego, power and control. His principles have been all over the place as he changes his view on political and social issues whenever he feels like it or it will work to his advantage. He most likely feels that losing a primary is 'not being treated fairly,' and will use that as an excuse for a third-party run, or at least an excuse to threaten one. He is pure reactionary, not rational.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:01 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Trump (when asked if he'd consider an independent run): "I'll have to see what happens". He repeated that threat just 6 days ago.
This isn't a "threat". It's a business contract. i.e. GOP promised to treat Trump fairly and in return Trump promised not to run against them. i.e. It's a contract. All contracts work this way.

Now do you actually have a quote where Trump has "threatened" the GOP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections