Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 605,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
On the other hand, here is an issue where Obama shows the courage to take a stand on a controversial issue, as opposed to Clinton, who appears to support the issue, until she gets some political heat for it, then quickly backs away.

That's leadership.
Unfortunately, you can't win n a debate either with Obama or his supporters. If you critiscise him, you're a racist; If you prove him WRONG, he has the "courage to stand up for controversial issues"

How about the fact that Obama voted AGAINST an amendment to cap credit card interest rates at 30%? His "justification" for THAT vote was that 30% interest was aready too high. So, he voted to allow the CREDIT CARD COMPANIES TO CHARGE WHATEVER INTEREST RATES THEY WANT to. I know at least ONE person who has an interest rate of 39% on one credit card!
U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

Last edited by BVH; 02-04-2008 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:35 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,542,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Barack Obama: Campaign Finance/Money - Contributions - 1989-2006 (http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/allsector.asp?CID=N00009638 - broken link)

Yes, ordinary people, like trial lawyers, the real estate and finance industry, the insurance industry, securities and investment firms, the music industry, the movie industry, the television industry, the natural gas industry..

Are those the kind of ordinary people you were talking about?

I find it interesting that Obama supporters say that it isn't (or shouldn't be) about race. At the same time you describe him as being analogous to a golfer who is widely known for being a racial minority in a white man's game.

Also, your claim that Tiger, "He wasn't as polished; wasn't as knowledgable about every aspect of the game; didn't always say the right things to the right people" is highly debatable. Tiger majored in Economics at Stanford, and was nicknamed "Urkel." Even as a youngster, he had a reputation of being very polished and mature, and I have no idea what you mean by "..didn't always say the right things to the right people."
It's not what I said (or implied) at all. Guys like Calvin Peete, Lee Trevino and Jim Dent pre-date Tiger by decades.

I was talking about how Tiger brings a new energy, excitement and participation to the game.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,100,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
Unfortunately, you can't win n a debate either with Obama or his supporters. If you critiscise him, you're a racist; If you prove him WRONG, he has the "courage to stand up for controversial issues"

How about the fact that Obama voted AGAINST an amendment to cap credit card interest rates at 30%? His "justification" for THAT vote was that 30% interest was aready too high. So, he voted to allow the CREDIT CARD COMPANIES TO CHARGE WHATEVER INTEREST RATES THEY WANT to. I know at least ONE person who has an interest rate of 39% on one credit card!
U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote
Well, you'll never win in a debate if you can't stay on topic. My response was limited to one issue, the drivers license issue. I thought it was curious that you point out Obama's support of this issue, considering Hillary kind of flip flopped on it as soon as she started catching heat for appearing to support Spitzer's bill.

It just struck me as odd, as you seem to criticise Obama as having no stand on the issues, only offering "hope", yet when the opportunity comes to criticise Obama's stands on the issues, you jump at it.

I realize you support Clinton, and you've decided to show your support by flooding these boards with Obama criticism. That's fine, if that's how you want to show your support. However, be consistent in what you oppose. If you're going to critique's Obama's stances, quit trying to claim he doesn't have any.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 AM
BVH

Quote:
Well, you'll never win in a debate if you can't stay on topic. My response was limited to one issue, the drivers license issue. I thought it was curious that you point out Obama's support of this issue, considering Hillary kind of flip flopped on it as soon as she started catching heat for appearing to support Spitzer's bill.

It just struck me as odd, as you seem to criticise Obama as having no stand on the issues, only offering "hope", yet when the opportunity comes to criticise Obama's stands on the issues, you jump at it.

I realize you support Clinton, and you've decided to show your support by flooding these boards with Obama criticism. That's fine, if that's how you want to show your support. However, be consistent in what you oppose. If you're going to critique's Obama's stances, quit trying to claim he doesn't have any.
I have never said he does not have stances on the issues. What I have both implied and said is that he prefers to talk about the non-specifics of "change", which is easier than discussing actual facts.

As far as your saying I am "flooding these boards with Obama Critiscism", give me a BREAK!

I am simply attempting to counter-balance the clear bias that the media's coverage of Obama has shown and continues to show. People sould be free to make up their minds based on FACTS and not media spin.

As I have said before, Hillary Clinton is willing to go on National TV, LIVE, and answer any questions that people have. Obama has chosen insteadto run a dirty, negative campagin chock-full of lies and misrepresentations. You and the rest of the free world can tune in to hear the next President of the United States, Hillary Clinton speak about the ISSUES and how to achieve REAL, LASTING, and QUANTIFIABLE change at 9:00 pm EST and 6:00 PM PST, on the Hallmark Channel.

In fact, YOU can even go and ask her questions yourself on hillaryclinton.com.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 AM

310 posts, read 1,196,562 times
Thats not courage its avoiding a direct question. EW

Old 02-04-2008, 10:17 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,472,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
His "justification" for THAT vote was that 30% interest was aready too high. So, he voted to allow the CREDIT CARD COMPANIES TO CHARGE WHATEVER INTEREST RATES THEY WANT to.
A private company operating without a federal cap on its revenue.. oh the horror!

Kudos to you for finding an issue that I agree w/ Obama on.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:22 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,100,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
Thats not courage its avoiding a direct question. EW
From the transcript.

Quote:

OBAMA: I am not proposing that that's what we do.

What I'm saying is that we can't --

[laughter]

No, no, no, no. Look, I have already said, I support the notion that we have to deal with public safety and that driver's licenses at the state level can make that happen.

He answered the question. He just didn't answer it in the gotcha! format Wolf wanted him to.

BVH, it's hard to take you seriously when you make claims like Obama is running a "dirty, negative campaign". How many campaigns have you actually been involved in?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:32 AM

310 posts, read 1,196,562 times
Obama, if president is going to open doors for millions of immigrants. Anyone with a brain knows that. EW

Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,472,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
It's not what I said (or implied) at all. Guys like Calvin Peete, Lee Trevino and Jim Dent pre-date Tiger by decades.
I'm missing your point here. I believe that Tiger was a pioneer, whether he was 'the first' to do anything or not.

Quote:
I was talking about how Tiger brings a new energy, excitement and participation to the game.
Yes, I understand. You were making a parallel based on energy, excitement and participation, not race.

But is it purely a coincidence that in both cases, the "energy, excitement and participation" are disproportionately among black Americans supporting a (partially) black individual who is competing against the white establishment?

Old 02-04-2008, 10:45 AM
BVH

Quote:
From the transcript.

He answered the question. He just didn't answer it in the gotcha! format Wolf wanted him to.

BVH, it's hard to take you seriously when you make claims like Obama is running a "dirty, negative campaign". How many campaigns have you actually been involved in?
The first campaign I volunteered with was Bill Clinton's in 1992. After graduating with my BA in Poli-sci from Pitt in 1997, I have since worked on several campaigns including Bob O'Connor's first Pittsburgh Mayoral campaign in 1997. So, in answer to your question, long enough to know that no politician is "squeaky clean".

While we are on the subject, what are your qualifications?

Obama claims to be "above it all". The truth, in fact, is that he's right in the middle of it and I have provided multiple examples of that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections