Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 08:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,875,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm a Rubio supporter, but I'll take a shot at the question.

If Trump were to win every state that Romney won, Trump would have 206 electoral votes.

Who knows how swing states Colorado (9) or Virginia (13) will go. Voter turnout could make the difference for either candidate.

Wisconsin (10 votes), who elected Scott Walker 3 or 4x, may go Red. Trump is popular in Florida (29 votes). In Ohio (17 votes)Trump’s message to bring manufacturing back to the US may resonate with union people who are unemployed and financially hurting.

Who knows. This election will be nothing like previous years.
I don't see why you start at the starting gate that Trump will win every state that Romney won -- then capture more. Trump is a weaker candidate that Romney.

When you say that "Trump is popular in Florida," you are basing that on the GOP primary polls.

Union people tend to vote with the Democrats, especially in states that have had Republican governors hostile to unions, such as Wisconsin. I don't see Trump's message for working people stronger than Clinton's message. She just has to bring out Trump's own tax-plan, that lowers taxes on the rich more than Bush's tax-plan did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
What are you talking about??

He'll win CA and NY.

Major GOP concentration in both states.

Dems even admit they don't like their candidates.

Hillary or Sanders a lot of Dems will switch to GOP.

Many friends are doing so now.
Trump hasn't got a chance in CA, with so many Hispanic voters who can't stand him. NY also isn't going Trump -- presuming he got the GOP nomination.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:26 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,445,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Yes, because I don't like the GOPs obsession with constantly focusing on social issues that most Americans don't give a fig about.
You are projecting again, as it is the Democrats that are constantly focusing on social issues. In fact, Obama's campaign in 2012 was run almost entirely on social issues, as he could not run on the economy, his foreign policy, or Obamacare.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,372,192 times
And Obama won overwhelmingly.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,839,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
...and this post just proves my point. NO ONE can make a solid case for Trump getting to 270 in a general election lol.
Thats because you are asking the wrong question.

The question is, how does trump gain votes that other Republicans wouldnt have..

Answer is by appealing to the left. trumps support for gay marriage going back 2 decades, his support for UHC etc

and then by appealing to other democrats who oppose illegal and want to enforce the rule of law, build the wall already authorized by Congress, etc.

He just needs to be left of other Republican candidates, which he is, to increase his chances more than other Republicans..

might not get him the 270, but it'll get him more than the other ones who dont reach across the aisle.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:32 AM

76,873 posts, read 47,170,347 times
Quote:
Still have yet to hear anyone make a compelling case. Please list Trump's path to 270 electoral votes. NEVER going to happen. He might win some majority white southern states, but the larger states with lots of liberals, minorities and a recent history of going blue with the most electoral votes at stake like CA, FL, NY and PA will easily choose Hillary over Trump. Those four states alone would put her at 151 and Trump would be done. A vote for Trump means 4 years of Hillary. he doesn't have a prayer of beating Hillary in a general election.
He could win NY, and he says he could win States like Michigan, which is not too far fetched.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 AM

15,574 posts, read 10,284,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't see why you start at the starting gate that Trump will win every state that Romney won -- then capture more. Trump is a weaker candidate that Romney.

Union people tend to vote with the Democrats, especially in states that have had Republican governors hostile to unions, such as Wisconsin. I don't see Trump's message for working people stronger than Clinton's message. She just has to bring out Trump's own tax-plan, that lowers taxes on the rich more than Bush's tax-plan did.
Is Trump a "weaker" candidate? I'm not so sure, MTA. Trump has a blazing hot base of new voters who adore the guy and are turning out in record numbers in the primaries to support him.

I don't know how union members will vote, obviously. It is obvious Trump has lite a fire that resonates with the blue collar workforce, and it isn't about policy or platform. It is attitude. Can that attitude carry him all the way to the WH. I don't know.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:34 AM

29,931 posts, read 18,486,812 times
Quote:
Still have yet to hear anyone make a compelling case. Please list Trump's path to 270 electoral votes. NEVER going to happen. He might win some majority white southern states, but the larger states with lots of liberals, minorities and a recent history of going blue with the most electoral votes at stake like CA, FL, NY and PA will easily choose Hillary over Trump. Those four states alone would put her at 151 and Trump would be done. A vote for Trump means 4 years of Hillary. he doesn't have a prayer of beating Hillary in a general election.
Votes............................... if the democrats agree to count all of them and not have the dead and illegals vote democrat.

Trump will appeal to union workers who were screwd by the Clinton's policies (NAFTA and china trade policies). Further, many "blue collar" democrats who are non-union do not support open door immigraion policy and far left social agendas. I would bet that Trump will attract more black voters than any republican in the last 60 years.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 02-21-2016 at 08:42 AM..

Old 02-21-2016, 08:34 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,727,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Want to? No. Think it will happen? It's looking that way.
Yeah, the pro blem is the tail wagging the dog whether it is Trump is in the lead. Cruz isn't much better and because those are the two candidates that the right like, it's pulling moderates to the right and having them pander for the votes for say Planned Parenthood's shutdown and waiting on naming a Supreme Court Justice nominee.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,839,164 times
2016 Election: Clinton vs. Trump

Old 02-21-2016, 08:36 AM

29,931 posts, read 18,486,812 times
Quote:
Now that the herd is thinning out for Super Tuesday, we will see the real race. Cruz isn't going anywhere until after March 1sr, so he and Trump will continue taking votes from one another leaving the other lane wide open for Rubio after Kasich bows out any day here. Look at tonight for instance. Take the 100k votes Bush and Kasich got, give them to Rubio and he buries Trump in SC. That's what you will see come March 1 because Kasich will be gone by then as well. This isn't over by a long shot
..........................says the liberal who is terrified of a Trump nomination. Hilarous- it is like whistling when you walk by a graveyard.

Trump can beat Hillary. Cruz and Rubio cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections