Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 01:43 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times

Advertisements

Rubio is the mouthpiece of Sheldon Adelson. As corrupt as it gets, and he couldnt give a rats a** about average Americans.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:51 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nope You describe - Independents & Swing Voters.

There is no difference between hard core partisans of either party. Both are blinded by partisan dogma.

About the only think that makes them different is that Democrats think they are better than Republicans, and Republicans absolutely don't care.
Independents are not swing voters. Most independents are aligned with one party on the other. Included in the ranks of "independents" are hard core conservatives whose only election decision is to support the GOP or vote Libertarian. Mitt carried the "Independent" vote and still lost the election by nearly 4% and close to 5 million votes.

The Myth of the Independent Voter

In the Pew study issued in April 2915, 39% of voters considered themselves Independents, 32% considered themselves Democrats and 23% Republicans for a Democrat edge in Party ID of 9%. When the "Independents" were pushed to gauge their tendencies the results were Democrats/Dem Leaner Indys= 48%; Republicans/Republican Lean Indys= 39% for a Democratic edge with leaners of an identical 9%. Rather than having 39% of voters as true Independents (swing voters), when you consider leanings, it drops to 13% of voters without a discernible lean.

It's interesting that the total of Dem+Dem leans is 48%, which also equates to the Democrat low point in the last 4 elections (Kerry in 2004= 48.26%). The Republican low in the last 4 elections was McCain in 2008 at 45.60%, which is a little higher than the Pub+Pub lean of 39%, but it's in the ballpark.

A Deep Dive Into Party Affiliation | Pew Research Center

I'm not trying to start an argument with you; just quantifying that the the size of the group we're talking about who are swing voters is much smaller than the official percentage of "Independents".

Last edited by Bureaucat; 12-17-2015 at 04:49 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 04:05 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Cruz will get some friendly fire from right-wing media but the leftist dominated mainstream media do not want to topple Cruz - they want a strong Cruz in the race, as a way to divide the conservative vote equally between Trump and Cruz so that a RINO candidate can emerge that receives a plurality of the vote.

The goal is that once the "best RINO" candidate is immediately obvious to all the RINO candidates, the lesser RINOs will drop out (Christie, Jeb, Kasich, etc). This leaves the top RINO, Rubio to square off against Trump and Cruz as the final 3 horses in the race. The leftists want a strong Cruz because they have to have the conservative anti-establishment vote split in roughly even portions so that neither Trump or Cruz is strong enough by himself to defeat Rubio.
They want it to come down to primaries with results like this:
Rubio: 45%
Trump:30%
Cruz: 25%

Thus, the only fire Cruz will get is the occasional friendly fire from right-wing media like Fox, the leftists will leave Cruz alone so that he prevents Trump from coalescing all the vote on the right. While the liberal media will be soft on Cruz, they will be hard as diamonds on Trump to keep Trump from going to high to the 45%+ level where Rubio will not be able to beat him. With a neutral fair media Trump would be at 45% right now instead of 35%. If the media was harsher on Cruz then Cruz would fall to below 10% and Trump would gain enough of the vote from the right to defeat Rubio. This is a very clever strategy by the media. In ordinary circumstances the liberal media would hate Cruz with a passion and would assault Cruz nonstop, but because of the strategy I described above the liberals are going soft on Cruz.
Trump is a RINO, maybe the biggest one of the bunch. Government provided health care, pro-choice... Ring a bell? Oh, and the video at this link.

Donald Trump: "I Identify More as a Democrat". Emphatically Praises Hillary... » Louder With Crowder

Old 12-17-2015, 04:17 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Trump is a RINO, maybe the biggest one of the bunch. Government provided health care, pro-choice... Ring a bell?
Millions of voters have given up with political affiliation - they want to "blow this mother up" by electing un-PC Trump....they're willing to screw the entire country over. I think it's an overreaction to Obama. "They want their country back" or some ****.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...h-in-5-charts/

None of this should come as a shock.

The establish big money only has one vote, no matter how much money they throw in for favors.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:55 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post

I'm not trying to start an argument with you; just quantifying that the the size of the group we're talking about who are swing voters is much smaller than the official percentage of "Independents".
Except that you didn't do this. Linking two opinion article isn't proof. I can find just as many that say otherwise. It's why I don't do battle of web links.

On the other hand, anyone can go look up the actual statistics for themselves.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Trump is a RINO, maybe the biggest one of the bunch. Government provided health care, pro-choice... Ring a bell? Oh, and the video at this link.

Donald Trump: "I Identify More as a Democrat". Emphatically Praises Hillary... » Louder With Crowder
It is amazing to me how so many, that call themselves conservative can actually support him? I understand the frustration with politics as usual, but he certainly isn't the answer. The one thing we have to give him credit for is his ability to work the media. I am thinking if I see him being interviewed one more time I will turn the TV off and never watch a news program again.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:42 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Except that you didn't do this. Linking two opinion article isn't proof. I can find just as many that say otherwise. It's why I don't do battle of web links.

On the other hand, anyone can go look up the actual statistics for themselves.
A Pew survey isn't an opinion article. They are the gold standard for studies on political party allegiance. It's also a stretch to call the article from Cook Political as an opinion piece. They're one of the most respected non-partisan political analysis firms in the business.

The primary reasons that you don't do "battle of web links" is that you can't find a statistical basis for some of your more improbable assertions. But that's fine. My response was more for the benefit of other readers than to get into another tete a tete with you.

Have a good day.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 12-18-2015 at 08:28 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 11:37 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
A Pew survey isn't an opinion article.
You linked two opinion articles.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:18 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Because of his general aversion to voting, Rubio will probably be the first candidate to not vote for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections