Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 07:08 AM

8,213 posts, read 8,530,088 times

Advertisements

We hear this every time. This one is done, that one is done. Iowa doesn't matter. Cruz got 1 more delegate than Trump and Rubio. Even Carson got 3.

If Trump, Cruz, and Rubio stay in until the end we will have a brokered convention.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:08 AM

8,071 posts, read 9,985,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Every right minded person on planet Earth should be worried about Trump.

...and Rubio and Cruz. Can u imagine having any one of those nut jobs on the Republican ticket, let alone actually making it into the White House?

Republican insiders are giving the nod to Bush this morning. HE is their guy. I know, I know, but politics is strange, and they are convinced that he/they will find a way to push him to the fore. Maybe at the convention when they realize that than none of the current loose cannons can beat any of the Democratic likelies?

Old 02-02-2016, 07:09 AM

38,945 posts, read 50,850,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I'm surprised Rubio and Sanders did as well as they did. No surprise on Trump and Cruz, though TV's talking heads are having fun portraying Trump as a big loser humiliated by Cruz. There's a revenge factor with the media this morning with Trump, also astonishment Cruz did as well as he did.
There's blood in the water, haha. They are going at him good. I bet Megyn is ecstatic. How will Trump react? Will he be humble in defeat?

Old 02-02-2016, 07:11 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,051,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
So it's an effective tie between the fringe communist Sanders and the violent, corrupt HRC.

Trump walks into New Hampshire w/ an at least 3x lead over the rest. Where there are a lot of pissed off, underemployed Americans.
Iowa and NH have almost identical U-6 underemployment rate.

Mick

Old 02-02-2016, 07:11 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,150,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Trumpets are scared now. His candidate might not be as popular as polls say.
"NEWSFLASH!!!!"

Iowa is full of religious nuts who gravitated to another nut named Cruz (birds of a feather) and is why TRUMP came in 2nd place. LUCKILY most past elected POTUS didn't win IOWA in the primaries.

The rest of the "R" candidates are going to "hit a buzz-saw" in the upcoming primaries.

This Trumplican is NOT scared whatsoever - after all he got 5 electoral votes out of IOWA and Cruz the winner got just one more with 6. (weeeeeeeeee!)

And the polls LOL!, is why I don't love them as I only use it as "an idea" of what's going on.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:12 AM

5,230 posts, read 6,145,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It says a lot about the strength of the millennial vote. They will be behind her in November.

I came to the exact opposite conclusion. Hillary won the older vote, Bernie won the younger vote according to the commentary, polls I saw yesterday.

The big take away will be the number of voters in the R vs D caucuses. Everyone thought the bruising primary would doom the D in 2008 but in the end it showed that the three main D candidates were significantly outdrawing the main R candidates. That held come election day. To win as a Democrat you either need high turnout or a divided electorate. If Hillary can draw them to the polls in a primary I think she will be in very big trouble.

And if Rubio is the nominee she could face even more troubles because she already fights yesterdays battles and turf wars. Doing so against someone 30 years younger just makes you look irrelevant.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:12 AM

36,766 posts, read 18,709,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
REALLY, you expected Trump to come #1 in every state starting in Iowa?........you are clueless.

This thing starts in the first PRIMARY not caucus......comeback after N.H. and South Carolina and see if you still think Trump is a big " L"

Trump is a LOSER for coming 2nd in Iowa but Rubio is a winner for coming on 3rd?
Rubio bought his seat at the table last night. Polls had him at 12 down from Trump and he picked up nine of those. Trump went in predicted as a five-point favorite over Cruz and and slunk away three behind him to lick his wounds.

Trump will do better in NH and SC which have him at a better than 20 point advantage, but after Iowa those numbers will probably be revised as well.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:16 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,441,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I can't be reading this right. After all of that, Cruz walks out of Iowa with 8 delegates and Trump and Rubio each get 7???

2016 Primary Election Results - Des Moines Register

Somebody tell me I'm wrong.
Cruz gained several things that are more important than the delegate counts at this stage.

First and most importantly, he vindicated his national campaign strategy of increasing conservative turnout to get more votes than people expected. The so-called experts almost unanimously dismissed this strategy as naive wishful thinking which was sure to fail. As it turns out, Cruz was right. Also, despite the "experts" proclaiming this year is "different" as far as the need for a ground game and such, Cruz was right again. So much for a new age of politics having dawned on us courtesy of Donald Trump.

Cruz got the "win" and the momentum that comes from that. Forget the delegates, he proved himself to be a winner. It is usually said there are three tickets out of Iowa, and that is likely to be right. There may be one more if someone other than Cruz, Trump or Rubio finishes in the top three in New Hampshire - almost surely one of the governors - although that would be bad news for Rubio, who would like to try to consolidate the vote of these three governors going forward. Anyway, with this "win" Cruz has the momentum, he has money in the bank, and he is almost certainly going to be in this primary contest for as long as he wants to be as a result of that.

As far as the delegates, there are only 30 in Iowa for the Republicans. Right now it appears that only 27 have been allocated, so there are still three more to go. As far as the 8,7,7 division, I am not sure what you were expecting. All three of these candidates had between 20-30% of the vote. Just FYI, all the states are required to be proportional allocation (like this one) thorough March 15th. Even after that, I don't think there are all that many winner-take-all states, although several of the ones that are, are pretty big.

So the delegate accumulation process is going to be a real grind with three candidates like this. Unless one of them somehow breaks out, this could take a while.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:17 AM

38,945 posts, read 50,850,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I came to the exact opposite conclusion. Hillary won the older vote, Bernie won the younger vote according to the commentary, polls I saw yesterday.

The big take away will be the number of voters in the R vs D caucuses. Everyone thought the bruising primary would doom the D in 2008 but in the end it showed that the three main D candidates were significantly outdrawing the main R candidates. That held come election day. To win as a Democrat you either need high turnout or a divided electorate. If Hillary can draw them to the polls in a primary I think she will be in very big trouble.

And if Rubio is the nominee she could face even more troubles because she already fights yesterdays battles and turf wars. Doing so against someone 30 years younger just makes you look irrelevant.
That's what I meant. Bernie got the millennials. But when Bernie loses, they will turn to Clinton, though maybe not with the fervor. It's about electoral votes though. Clinton should be able to win the blue wall states.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,814,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Every poll had trump winning Iowa..
not true, especially given the margin of error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections