Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 10:23 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Are you kidding? Between Trump, Cruz, Rubio, Carson, Fiorina, Christie and Paul, you virtually have EVERY type of candidate you could ever ask for. Republican/libertarian/independent/establishment/anti-establishment, senators, governors, insiders and complete outsiders. What more could you possibly want? Look at what Democrats have to choose from, now THAT is pathetic.
No, I am NOT kidding. I said, "reasonable" . That whole busload should be in a loonie bin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 10:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
From the looks of the candidate list, to-date for Republican nomination, I would suggest that the Party is already destroyed.

Wish we could come up with at least a couple of reasonable people to represent us.
And who would you like to see run that is not running? I totally disagree with you. I think we have some awesome choices this year. Of course there is no candidate that any of us agree with 100%, but we have so much young talent and many are running: Christie, Rubio, Cruz, Kasich, Carly, for starters. How many more do you want to run? If anything there are probably too many. Even Rand Paul has some good points.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:10 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So, it does not appear that George Will is a big fan.
Well nothing new about this. That big sourpuss predicted that Trump wouldn't last and that he wasn't a real candidate. Now he is eating a lot of crow, hates it, and still refuses to acknowledge that Trump is nothing more than a passing FAD.

It's pampered overpaid pundits like Will that have corrupted both political parties and why there are so many who won't vote for another establishment candidate.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Are you kidding? Between Trump, Cruz, Rubio, Carson, Fiorina, Christie and Paul, you virtually have EVERY type of candidate you could ever ask for. Republican/libertarian/independent/establishment/anti-establishment, senators, governors, insiders and complete outsiders. What more could you possibly want? Look at what Democrats have to choose from, now THAT is pathetic.
My feelings exactly, what more could he want. It looks to me like our choices show how inclusive our party is.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
C'mon really? Look at where the establishment has gotten us! "The Establishment" is the reason behind Trumps magical rise. To be honest, I believe it's more of an anti-establishment movement than a Trump movement. The GOP lost its backbone years ago and they just rolled over again on the omnibus spending bill. People are fed up with the establishment and it's time for a change!!!!

IMO, your daughters view is incorrect. I believe it's the opposite. Many will end up voting for Trump, but will not admit it because although they agree with him, he is not politically correct and sometimes controversial, thus they are uncomfortable discussing with friends, family, etc. This phenomenon will also skew polling.

Merry Christmas.
so there you go again, as the great communicator once said: just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't make them right. Do you have a crystal ball that says many of us will go to the polls and change our minds? I certainly do not think so. I know, based on our friends and family, spread all over the country and ranging in age from 27 to 79 the only way a single one of them would vote for Trump is if he is the only choice. No, many people do not agree with him. PC or not. Most of us are tired of PC, but this doesn't mean we will support someone with either ideas that can not work or ideas he can not back up, plus his rude comments. It isn't what you say, but how you say it. Maybe you are not politically savvy enough to understand this?

Old 12-25-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think your daughter is right. It will happen in the primaries or in the general, but people are going to get in the voting booth and say "hey, it was fun, but I have to much respect/love for my country to have a man who behaves like him be its president".

As for George Will, Trump as the Republican nominee IS worse than Clinton. Clinton will come and go and Republicans will live to fight another day, but Trump's stink will hang on the party for a generation or more. The Republicans would be well served to just kick him out of the party and let him run third party if that is what he wants.
Not to mention, as many are starting to point out: we are entering the phase of the election cycle that state by state polls, are more important than national. Notice the national polls may say X number are supporting so and so, but they do not tell you exactly where they are polling.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:21 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So, it does not appear that George Will is a big fan. I am not what you would call a fan either, but if Trump wins the Republican nomination and is the best candidate on the ballot from my perspective, which in that case I expect he would be, I will vote for him.

Will believes that Trump's nomination will literally destroy the Republican party. He might be right, but if the Republicans are going to support bills like the federal funding bill they broadly voted for last week, then what is the purpose of the Republican party that it is so important that they survive for? Honestly, I don't see one. Let it die already.

It is my sense that George Will is confused and has lost his perspective. The priority should not be the survival or the power of the Republican party, except in as far as it defends our nation's most important values and priorities, which I would characterize as conservative values and priorities.

Pretty clearly, the Republican party currently serves no critical purpose in our society. That being the case, if the Republican party was destroyed, so what? Another party or parties would form and we could start again. As someone who regards himself as a conservative and an independent, perhaps it is time we did that.

So, settle down George. Maybe you are right that Trump being the nominee would be the end of the Republican party. And maybe that would be a good thing.
Keep in mind that George Will opposed Reagan when he was running against Bush for the 1980 election. While I like Charles Krauthammer, he also opposed Reagan.

The republican party has abandoned conservative principles and should die, as I cannot really tell the difference between modern day republican and democrat policy, both of which are designed to screw the middle class.

It is time to throw out both parties; the popularity of Trump and Sanders are reflections of the dissatisfaction among voters with the traditional parties.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Keep in mind that George Will opposed Reagan when he was running against Bush for the 1980 election. While I like Charles Krauthammer, he also opposed Reagan.

The republican party has abandoned conservative principles and should die, as I cannot really tell the difference between modern day republican and democrat policy, both of which are designed to screw the middle class.

It is time to throw out both parties; the popularity of Trump and Sanders are reflections of the dissatisfaction among voters with the traditional parties.
Actually I do agree with your last paragraph, but I can not support Trump no matter how much I would like to see changes in our party system. As for Krauthammer, in the early Reagan days he was barely a Republican. I am reading his book right now. As many know, he started out as a Democrat and pretty liberal one at that.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:39 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
For so long as the majority of the American electorate continues to consist of overgrown children who believe that government can "protect" them from the workings of a free economy (conveniently mis-depicted as a collection of aging white men in suits) we don't have much of a chance of retaining the prominent position which Obama, Clinton and the rest of the "progressive" lackeys have labored to destroy.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:45 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Actually I do agree with your last paragraph, but I can not support Trump no matter how much I would like to see changes in our party system. As for Krauthammer, in the early Reagan days he was barely a Republican. I am reading his book right now. As many know, he started out as a Democrat and pretty liberal one at that.

Memo to OLD Crotcherty George Will: The Republican Party, like the USA, has already been Destroyed since the Clinton and Dubya Bush Presidency's !!

And, Wake-UP, Ms Nikita...the R's and the D's are both equally CORRUPT. Not ANY Different from one another. Same as the EVIL and Corrupt False Propaganda, Establishment Elitist AGENDA TV Networks; FOXNews, MSNBC, CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, every STINKING one of them!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections