Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: if Trump fails on his promise to build the wall who will you blame
Obama 6 37.50%
Democrats 8 50.00%
Mexicans 1 6.25%
Muslims 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 12:44 AM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times

Advertisements

If, and this a very big if, the wall doesn't get built there would only be one reason, and the american people would be to blame.
That reason is, the american people didn't vote to elect Trump for President.
That is the only way the wall wouldn't be built.

Bob.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:37 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If, and this a very big if, the wall doesn't get built there would only be one reason, and the american people would be to blame.
That reason is, the american people didn't vote to elect Trump for President.
That is the only way the wall wouldn't be built.

Bob.
Or did not vote out the members of congress that held it up in 2018

Old 12-26-2015, 02:45 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
the US-Mexico border is approximately 10,317,000 feet long
Donald Trump's net worth is estimated to be 4.5 Billion $

That means each foot of the wall could cost, at most $435 to build and operate.

What will the wall be made of such that it is secure @ that cost of construction and operation?
Isn't concrete about $100 a cubic yard? 9 foot high and 9 foot thick (per foot wide) would be $300 at that price, leaving only $135 to pay for labor, framing/forming, rebar, transportation of materials, etc. I'm not seeing how that's even cost viable, and I would argue that 9 feet high probably isn't enough (and we're ignoring how deep it would have to be, as well). Then I assume you would electrify it or razor-wire it (or both).

Nope, doesn't seem to add up.
Anyone who believes in "a wall" built by Trump, or anyone else, lives in some flat land and is quite ignorant about the geography and extremely remote areas of much of the western US. As a Texan, I laugh every time I see such suggestions. It's easy to build those "walls" in your head while posting from your home in, say, Cleveland.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:05 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Anyone who believes in "a wall" built by Trump, or anyone else, lives in some flat land and is quite ignorant about the geography and extremely remote areas of much of the western US. As a Texan, I laugh every time I see such suggestions. It's easy to build those "walls" in your head while posting from your home in, say, Cleveland.
Its like they can't comprehend how easy it would be to go over, under, or around a wall, or just to get a tourist visa, or student visa. The idea of a wall is nonsense.

E-verify would be inexpensive, and effective.

As for who to "blame"? Presidents dont have the power to decide to spend money. The house and senate do. People need to realize the limitations of a president.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:28 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its like they can't comprehend how easy it would be to go over, under, or around a wall, or just to get a tourist visa, or student visa. The idea of a wall is nonsense.

E-verify would be inexpensive, and effective.

As for who to "blame"? Presidents dont have the power to decide to spend money. The house and senate do. People need to realize the limitations of a president.

You make a good point, though I was speaking of literally building it. First, the government would have to build roads through remote badlands, and (in the case of Texas) private lands (with owner's permission) to even get the materials to the border to start. Surely most people now have the ability to search around on Google Maps and see it's not what they think. Mountains, canyons, hundreds and hundreds of miles between towns...and there's a reason for that, the distance between anything that could be remotely considered a town. It's because the geography is impossible.

And absolutely agree about the limitations of the president. Trump, or anyone else, can claim he'll build "a wall" (still makes me giggle), but he, or anyone else, would have little power to even attempt it.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:55 AM

11,778 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Again - libs deflecting because they are afraid of the Trumpster! We haven't even had the primaries and yet over 30% of the posts are about Trump. If you think by bashing him will change people minds - you have as much luck as the Republicans bashing Hillary and changing your mind. Why are libs so obsessed with Trump?

Old 12-26-2015, 04:03 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
You make a good point, though I was speaking of literally building it. First, the government would have to build roads through remote badlands, and (in the case of Texas) private lands (with owner's permission) to even get the materials to the border to start. Surely most people now have the ability to search around on Google Maps and see it's not what they think. Mountains, canyons, hundreds and hundreds of miles between towns...and there's a reason for that, the distance between anything that could be remotely considered a town. It's because the geography is impossible.

And absolutely agree about the limitations of the president. Trump, or anyone else, can claim he'll build "a wall" (still makes me giggle), but he, or anyone else, would have little power to even attempt it.

To many of us, simply supporting ICE and our law; would be equivalent to building any wall. Besides the physical wall; there are alternatives - like surveillance and quick response. There is also pushing to make E-verify the 'law' of the land for any employment - that might be a bigger challenge than the wall.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:26 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
The wall will be built. The American people demand it
Yes. It is important though that the citizens get behind Trump and make it VERY clear to their representatives and senators that they want this done.

The wall has to be built. They won't quit coming in and we are quickly getting to a breaking point. Also, after employment verification is mandated and work place raids resume, once they are "out", that is the only way to keep them out. It is a necessary step in helping to secure our country.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:21 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
IMO:

If Mr. Trump becomes POTUS that wall is mandated.

If government wants to place resistance, then the people know how to dispose of them (there's already enough current reasons) when their "re-election" comes up, otherwise IT WILL BE BUILT AND NOT MAYBE OR NOT NEVER!

Nothing more I'll discuss about this as to me it's a "case closed".

Old 12-26-2015, 06:42 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
the US-Mexico border is approximately 10,317,000 feet long
Donald Trump's net worth is estimated to be 4.5 Billion $

That means each foot of the wall could cost, at most $435 to build and operate.

What will the wall be made of such that it is secure @ that cost of construction and operation?
Isn't concrete about $100 a cubic yard? 9 foot high and 9 foot thick (per foot wide) would be $300 at that price, leaving only $135 to pay for labor, framing/forming, rebar, transportation of materials, etc. I'm not seeing how that's even cost viable, and I would argue that 9 feet high probably isn't enough (and we're ignoring how deep it would have to be, as well). Then I assume you would electrify it or razor-wire it (or both).

Nope, doesn't seem to add up.
He has repeatedly said he would use precast concrete panels. The one thing I don't have any doubts about is that Trump knows how to build things. Can't take that away from him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections