Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:43 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It has been obvious all along, but after the Sunday news shows, both my husband and I thought the same thing....
The Dems, and most of the media's, only tactic right now is to keep drumming that anyone who could support Trump is ignorant. "Trump is crude" "Trump is vulgar" "Trump is an unbalanced egomaniac" "Trump is unqualified" It is the same tactic the Dems always use, when they can't compete on substance.
All of those things MIGHT be true, but they also might not. Trump has had a life of genuine accomplishments, including raising some fine, high quality kids. A person needs to be of genuine substance to do these things, and this is what is resonating with voters who recognize it.

Trump makes me think of Harry Truman, whose bluntness was routinely embarrassing, and whose meager background was subject to ridicule. He turned out to be a greatly admired President.
Trump is ignorant.
Trump is crude.
Trump is vulgar.

The unqualified mantra I happen to agree with however he is no different than Carson or Fiorina, but I don't really care about that. There are multiple qualified candidates to choose between.

I don't want a president that is ignorant. I don't want a president that is crude. I emphatically don't want a president that is vulgar. I would prefer to vote for a Republican in the general election, but if the nominee is Trump I will vote for Hillary. I am not alone; there exists a rather large block of Republicans that will refuse to vote for Trump. The question is whether they will vote for Hillary or stay home. A Trump nomination will assure a Hillary win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I think they've tried every trick in the book, but none are working. The establishment and Democrats must be stewing in their own juices. What's really funny is that I'm still seeing a lot of Jeb! commercials on TV. It's pitiful how much money he's burning while he continues his downward spiral.
No, the Democrats are celebrating. See above.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:49 AM

1,676 posts, read 944,964 times
The Democrats' own arrogance will be their downfall. They think a Trump nomination would automatically guarantee them the White House. Could happen---but with each passing day, Trump continues to grow and get stronger. The newest polls show him almost tied with her. He could very well surpass her and win this whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 11:55 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,555 times
OP,

Are you familiar with Occam's razor? It's a principle that been shown to be consistently true. Basically, it states that among competing hypothesis, the simplest one that provides the best explanations and predictions is most likely to be true.

Trump is a willfully ignorant demagogue. He's highly skilled at using purely emotional appeals to garner political support, but doesn't seem to know much. Or, if he does, he doesn't behave as if he does.

You're the one being manipulated. By him.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:07 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
They are trying but it's not working this time. Trump defies the laws of politics!
...as well as the laws of logic.
(not to mention that thing on his head violating several laws of physics)

Old 12-29-2015, 01:51 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Trump is ignorant.
Trump is crude.
Trump is vulgar.

The same thing was said about Harry Truman at the time he was President. Don't forget that, in today's world, Truman would not be seen as so crude. It is almost 65 years later.

Whether you like Trump or not he is acting like a leader. We are responding to his sound bites and not those of his opponents. It gives him the name recognition - count the number of threads here on City-Data (five, six, seven, eight to one talking about Trump). Sure, many of those threads are negative; but we forget who the other candidates are that are running against Trump. We sure as heck don't remember what the others actually stand for!

Old 12-29-2015, 04:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri95 View Post
The Democrats' own arrogance will be their downfall. They think a Trump nomination would automatically guarantee them the White House. Could happen---but with each passing day, Trump continues to grow and get stronger. The newest polls show him almost tied with her. He could very well surpass her and win this whole thing.
I am not saying or even predicting who will win, but god forbid if Trump wins. I really do not think he can beat Hillary. Of course the important thing everyone is overlooking, national polls can differ from state polls and so many of these polls are based on national polling by phone, which is flawed as well.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The same thing was said about Harry Truman at the time he was President. Don't forget that, in today's world, Truman would not be seen as so crude. It is almost 65 years later.

Whether you like Trump or not he is acting like a leader. We are responding to his sound bites and not those of his opponents. It gives him the name recognition - count the number of threads here on City-Data (five, six, seven, eight to one talking about Trump). Sure, many of those threads are negative; but we forget who the other candidates are that are running against Trump. We sure as heck don't remember what the others actually stand for!
were you even alive when Truman was elected and have you forgotten he was a sitting president, his opponent made a huge blunder just prior to the election and no Truman was not seen as crude. There is absolutely no comparison between Trump and Truman. If you were old enough to remember yo would never compare the two. Plus what was, was and was is today, is.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri95 View Post
Actually that is not true. A lot of people think that if he were the nominee, there would be a third party establishment candidate. Someone with real experience, knowledge and credentials could also take votes from Hillary. If it were just Trump and Clinton, she would win. It is not 'arrogance' to think that. There are more Republicans who would not vote for Trump than Dems who would not vote for Hillary.

This whole 'Reagan Democrat' who will be a Trump voter is a fantasy. Most of the 'Reagan Democrats' are now Republicans. Not a lot of white blue collar Democrats these days. Trump will not get the ethnic or millenial blue collar workers most likely.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:39 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Trump is a willfully ignorant demagogue. He's highly skilled at using purely emotional appeals to garner political support, but doesn't seem to know much. Or, if he does, he doesn't behave as if he does..
I don't think so.

Trump is remarkably plain spoken for someone running for national office. That is a characteristic of someone with rational argument not demagoguery. And ignorant? No. You don't create and run a multi-billion dollar corporation by being ignorant.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:42 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It has been obvious all along, but after the Sunday news shows, both my husband and I thought the same thing....
The Dems, and most of the media's, only tactic right now is to keep drumming that anyone who could support Trump is ignorant. "Trump is crude" "Trump is vulgar" "Trump is an unbalanced egomaniac" "Trump is unqualified" It is the same tactic the Dems always use, when they can't compete on substance.
All of those things MIGHT be true, but they also might not. Trump has had a life of genuine accomplishments, including raising some fine, high quality kids. A person needs to be of genuine substance to do these things, and this is what is resonating with voters who recognize it.

Trump makes me think of Harry Truman, whose bluntness was routinely embarrassing, and whose meager background was subject to ridicule. He turned out to be a greatly admired President.

The Republicans are saying many of the same things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections