Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I really could not agree more. I have always felt he will not be the candidate, because at crunch time, voters will not be sure that your radio guy isn't right. Now, people like Christie and Fiorina are resonating with me more....kind of like "Trump lite", but still kick ass.

I cannot seem to get up any enthusiasm for any of the other ones, although I've always liked Kasich.
Right now and that is all I can say. I am toying with supporting Marco and Hubby Chirstie, with Fiorina as our long shot pick. There was a time when we were both pulling for Kasich. He has just not caught on and has been a bit of a disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 04:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I always get the impression that Trump is a salesman who above all else, sells himself or his brand. He is astute enough as a salesman to gauge the sentiments that resonates with a lot of people and to reflect that back. He reflects the anger back without really having any solutions to the problems. He's just smart enough to use pent up anger for his own benefit. The irony is that if he wasn't benefiting from the anger of the voters that he is manipulating he would probably be calling them losers, and that's just sad.
Remembering hearing about the old medicine men that went from town to town: well to me, Trump is the version of "let me tell you what I am going to do for you" the difference they were selling a cure all tonic and he is selling a cure all person; himself.. the scary thing, just like in the 1800s there are a lot of people that are falling for his produce that doesn't even exist.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:52 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't think so.

Trump is remarkably plain spoken for someone running for national office. That is a characteristic of someone with rational argument not demagoguery. And ignorant? No. You don't create and run a multi-billion dollar corporation by being ignorant.
He's telling plainly spoken lies. And racism. And sexism.

Oh, and are you aware that he inherited most of his money? He never created much of anything.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:00 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
were you even alive when Truman was elected and have you forgotten he was a sitting president, his opponent made a huge blunder just prior to the election and no Truman was not seen as crude. There is absolutely no comparison between Trump and Truman. If you were old enough to remember yo would never compare the two. Plus what was, was and was is today, is.

Yes I was alive; I was born in 47. While I do not remember Truman's Presidential years; I still remember teachers and my parents complaining about his mouth. He did upset some of the more prudish back then. During those days Presidents were like Gods; I think people were more inclined to blindly follow them. It wasn't until Vietnam drug on so long and our casualties started to climb that we really started to look at our leaders in a different light.

Don't forget that back then the Democrats supported the unions in the private sector and the union members supported the Democrats in return. I think, that starting in the 80's, that special interest tied the knot between the two parties. From then on it has only been downhill for our average workers. Which is the reason Trump is doing so good. Many of us don't see any difference between the Parties anymore.

Regardless whether you like Trump or not; he is running a brilliant campaign and he is not wasting the money our traditional politicians waste. While our other candidates are dancing at the end of their puppet strings; trump has been the puppeteer. He is the one setting the stage and telling the others what he wants them to talk about. He is actually showing leadership and the others are simply following.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:03 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
It has been obvious all along, but after the Sunday news shows, both my husband and I thought the same thing....
The Dems, and most of the media's, only tactic right now is to keep drumming that anyone who could support Trump is ignorant. "Trump is crude" "Trump is vulgar" "Trump is an unbalanced egomaniac" "Trump is unqualified" It is the same tactic the Dems always use, when they can't compete on substance.
All of those things MIGHT be true, but they also might not. Trump has had a life of genuine accomplishments, including raising some fine, high quality kids. A person needs to be of genuine substance to do these things, and this is what is resonating with voters who recognize it.

Trump makes me think of Harry Truman, whose bluntness was routinely embarrassing, and whose meager background was subject to ridicule. He turned out to be a greatly admired President.
It's always about policy. Anything else is tabloid garbage.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:04 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Remembering hearing about the old medicine men that went from town to town: well to me, Trump is the version of "let me tell you what I am going to do for you" the difference they were selling a cure all tonic and he is selling a cure all person; himself.. the scary thing, just like in the 1800s there are a lot of people that are falling for his produce that doesn't even exist.
No different than what Obama did. They both sold themselves to the public and boobus fell for it.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:06 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
Quote:
Absolutely. His children have 3 different mothers, yet they all were raised the same way. Their father is the common denominator. They do not smoke or drink, and they all have advanced educations.
There are tens of thousands of people in the US who don't drink, smoke, have advanced educations, and only one set of parents. Does that mean all those parents would be good Presidents?

Sorry, but I look for a whole lot more from my President. A WHOLE lot more.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:08 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
It has been obvious all along, but after the Sunday news shows, both my husband and I thought the same thing....
The Dems, and most of the media's, only tactic right now is to keep drumming that anyone who could support Trump is ignorant. "Trump is crude" "Trump is vulgar" "Trump is an unbalanced egomaniac" "Trump is unqualified" It is the same tactic the Dems always use, when they can't compete on substance.
All of those things MIGHT be true, but they also might not. Trump has had a life of genuine accomplishments, including raising some fine, high quality kids. A person needs to be of genuine substance to do these things, and this is what is resonating with voters who recognize it.

Trump makes me think of Harry Truman, whose bluntness was routinely embarrassing, and whose meager background was subject to ridicule. He turned out to be a greatly admired President.
Wow, what an insult to Truman.

He did not suffer from a galaxy sized ego, thin skin, nor did he suffer from diarrhea of the mouth.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:14 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wow, what an insult to Truman.

He did not suffer from a galaxy sized ego, thin skin, nor did he suffer from diarrhea of the mouth.

Think of 65 years ago and a President saying: “Richard Nixon is a no good, lying bastard. He can lie out of both sides of his mouth at the same time, and if he ever caught himself telling the truth, he'd lie just to keep his hand in. ” That is from: Quote by Harry S. Truman:. You can get other quotes from that site accredited to Truman like: “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

At that time; this was scandalous and Presidents simply did not talk like this in public.

Last edited by fisheye; 12-30-2015 at 05:27 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 05:19 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
He's telling plainly spoken lies. And racism. And sexism.

Oh, and are you aware that he inherited most of his money? He never created much of anything.
  • Lies? This is a generality. I'm willing to bet that if lies bother you, then you will be horrified out of your wits by King Hillary. But if you are willing to be specific I'll be glad to address them with you. Otherwise this sounds like a partisan double standard.
  • Inherited "most" of his money? Not even close. Go look up the figures and get back to me.
  • Never created anything? How about 10s of 1000s of private sector jobs. How many jobs has the candidate you support created?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections