Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:17 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,068 times

Advertisements

Some interesting information from the NYT article linked in the OP:

So, among those who are registered, registered Democrats are the highest percentage of Trump's support, followed by registered independents second and registered Republicans third.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 03:53 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Some interesting information from the NYT article linked in the OP:

So, among those who are registered, registered Democrats are the highest percentage of Trump's support, followed by registered independents second and registered Republicans third.
You missed the most important part of the heading that says "among-self identified Republicans." This means they are registered as Democrats but they tend to vote Republican or believe in/support the Republican message.

Later in the article it says that 8% of registered Democrats fall into this category. In a nutshell, they are Republicans that, for some reason, never changed their voter registration from D to R.

There are also registered Republicans that vote Democratic, the flip side of those above.

Last edited by sware2cod; 12-31-2015 at 04:22 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 04:18 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
What does this mean? His very best voters are self-identified Republicans who nonetheless are registered as Democrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You missed the most important part 0 the heading that says "among-self identified Republicans." This means they are registered as Democrats but they tend to vote Republican or believe in/support the Republican message.

Later in the article it says that 8% of registered Democrats fall into this category. In a nutshell, they are Republicans that, for some reason, never changed their voter registration from D to R.

There are also registered Republicans that vote Democratic, the flip side of those above.
I wonder why that 8 percent are his best voters? Because they push the pretty vote button better?

Old 12-31-2015, 04:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
What does this mean? His very best voters are self-identified Republicans who nonetheless are registered as Democrats.

I wonder why that 8 percent are his best voters? Because they push the pretty vote button better?
Look at the poll. The poll says 'best' supporters because they polled into the highest percent out of the categories that support him - 43% of them(self identified Republicans that are registered as D) support him.

Unregistered voters are the next largest category that supports him - at 40%. These are self-identified Republicans that aren't registered to vote.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:53 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Look at the poll. The poll says 'best' supporters because they polled into the highest percent out of the categories that support him - 43% of them(self identified Republicans that are registered as D) support him.

Unregistered voters are the next largest category that supports him - at 40%. These are self-identified Republicans that aren't registered to vote.
Highest percentage out of EIGHT percent. so...?
Maybe they think he's still a democrat.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:11 PM

461 posts, read 333,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Good, because I don't really like every aspect of the Republican platform or the Democratic platform. Donald Trump is tapping into that elusive middle. Maybe he'll even be able to pull it off and win, though I think the Republicans are going to try to do something so he won't get his delegates and suffer the consequences as a result.
This! 100% correct. I am an independent but vote per candidate not party. I could support Trump or Sanders. Only Sanders IF Trump doesn't get nomination....

Old 12-31-2015, 06:11 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
-sigh-

Please read the article. The 'certain kind of Democrat' they're referring to are those who self-identify as Republicans, but are registered as Democrats. That is, it's largely uneducated southern whites. While they might be registered as whites, they vote overwhelmingly Republican.

In other words, his primary constituency is uneducated, racist white people, which is no surprise.
Seriously, give it up. No one is being intimated by posts calling them names. You know, they call that bullying. Isn't that what the same libs usually say about Trump and see it as a shortcoming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
You should read the article. To the extent these people vote at all - and a great many of them apparently don't - they are swing voters who have of their own free will registered themselves as Democrats.

If they wanted to be Republicans, why in the world would they register as Democrats? Answer: They wouldn't.

Also, this is the New York Times reporting on these Democratic supporters of Donald Trump, so surely you are not going to attack the messenger here, are you?

And as far as your last line, you have shown who the real racist here is with that crack.
Actually, I have registered as Democratic, Republican and Independent. Why? Because I choose candidates based on attributes other than "party". In order to vote in the primary for locals, I switched one year from Dem to GOP because I preferred the GOP side of the ticket locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrats in NC who turned NC Blue in '08 by supporting Obama, will be voting for Trump in overwhelming numbers.

No way will King Hillary win this state.
Gosh, no one could say that they haven't gotten an "education" by living through 8 years of Obama could they? Appears they are smarter than those clinging to the party despite how much pain it will take to make an "X" next to Hillary's name and the shame they will feel when they admit, if they can bring themselves to do, that they voted for Hillary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
People in your own party may be black or Hispanic and only have a high school diploma. Do you sit on your high horse and disparage them, too? Where are all of those NY Times stories about uneducated bigots in the inner cities who always vote Democrat? Which Democrat has their vote?
I have noticed that about the NY Times stories. It is a waste of time to even bother with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Can we drop the term "uneducated"? Just because someone went to college doesn't make them automatically smarter than someone who went straight to work. I know people with college degrees who have zero common sense, while the supposed "uneducated" person who dropped out of school or only obtained a high school degree was a lot smarter. I also know people who went to college who are crazy smart and highly successful in their careers, but they don't necessarily have the same challenges in life as a person who has to scrape and scramble for jobs.
No, they can't drop it. They are trying to intimidate and bully Trump supporters. It could be that the ones saying this are just kids, I mean, you know how kids are when it comes to bullying. An adult would realize that it would only make them look bitter about the election and that people would just So, just to yourself and ignore them.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:30 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Ronald Reagan was a Democrat before he became a Republican. He was a war monger and a racist. He supported South Africa's apartheid regime when the rest of the world was against it. It was embarrassing. He spent money like a drunken sailor. Reagan gave amnesty to 3 million illegal aliens. He was wrongly misinformed on a lot of issues. Yet, he remains the most beloved Republican president and he gave rise to something called Reagan Democrats.

Donald Trump sounds to me like a slightly different version of Reagan. Trump is from New York while Reagan was from the Midwest. So you have to make adjustments for Trump's harshness.

Trump might get something done in Washington. Then again, maybe what the RNC wants is a DO NOTHING Congress with a self serving obstructionist like Cruz. Oh yeah, like those voters are more educated than Trump voters.
LOL, do you write a column for the LA Times? If not, you should.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:49 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
The left always plays the race card because that's what they are all about, racism. Pit one race against another, the "educated" against hard working lower middle class, the women against the men, the young against the old, the list is endless. They do this because they can't possibly win on issues and have to rely on trying to make people hate each other. Yes, the progressives are in fact the biggest bigots and haters out there by far. All you have to do is read any of their posts like several on here to prove it. I'd be embarrassed as hell to be labeled as a "progressive". Notice how they never talk about the uneducated black people in inner cities. It's always the uneducated white people living in the south. It doesn't matter that the vast majority of white Americans living in southern states are hard working people. They hope and pray they can use the made up "war on women" in this next election, but that one has run out of steam and has been used more than an old pair of underwear to the point no one believes it unless your a left wing progressive feminist.
After Reagan, the liberals had to reclassify themselves as progressive because the liberal label became one negativity and embarrassment. Now the same is being done with the "progressive" label. Progressives have more than proven to be the bigots and the haters at this point, and the unpopularity of Obama doesn't help them at all. I wonder what they will call themselves next?

Old 01-01-2016, 10:07 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
-sigh-

Please read the article. The 'certain kind of Democrat' they're referring to are those who self-identify as Republicans, but are registered as Democrats. That is, it's largely uneducated southern whites. While they might be registered as whites, they vote overwhelmingly Republican.

In other words, his primary constituency is uneducated, racist white people, which is no surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
People in your own party may be black or Hispanic and only have a high school diploma. Do you sit on your high horse and disparage them, too? Where are all of those NY Times stories about uneducated bigots in the inner cities who always vote Democrat? Which Democrat has their vote?
Curious as to why someone is termed as "sitting on a high horse" when stating politically incorrect facts that may be disparaging to some, but when Trump makes any disparaging remark at all about individuals or entire groups of people (rarely back it up with facts), he is "telling it like it is" or "refreshingly honest?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections