Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 08:44 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,400,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I saw a recent article that claims Cruz's mom voted in Canada.
I saw a recent article that claims that Elvis is alive and well and living in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Seriously, Cruz's mom appeared on a census list in Canada, birthers spun it into a 'voter registration'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 09:05 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,400,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Rather, we have Constitutional Supremacy (Art. VI). An Act of Congress cannot change the Constitution, and it is the judiciary, not Congress, that interprets the Constitution.
Article I, Section 8, Clause 4 empowers Congress to establish a Uniform Rule of Naturalization. The current law in effect is the Naturalization and Immigration Act of 1952, which does define citizenship at birth. With the concept of Implied Powers, it is reasonable to expect that the body that defines a naturalized citizen also gets to define a citizen at birth or a natural born citizen.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:14 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,057 times
Lawyer Challenging Ted Cruz Eligibility Was Suspended From Practice of Law

I had previously written that such a lawsuit challenging the eligibility would most certainly lack standing and would be frivolous.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/01...actice-of-law/

Old 01-15-2016, 09:17 PM

Donald Trump’s Clownish 'Get a Declaratory Judgment' Taunt of Ted Cruz

As the Supreme Court made clear, there are only two types of American citizenship -- citizens at birth, such as Sen. Cruz, and those who become citizens through the naturalization process.

https://pjmedia.com/jchristianadams/...t-of-ted-cruz/

This should settle Cruz eligibility for the Trump Tribe
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...trum/?page=all

Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post

As the Supreme Court made clear, there are only two types of American citizenship -- citizens at birth, such as Sen. Cruz, and those who become citizens through the naturalization process.

They havent made it that clear.

Before yesterday, I would have been in the came of "there is nothing to this BS", but now I have switched sides.

Constitutional Law Expert: Ted Cruz Can't Be President

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_Cases

The Insular Cases: Constitutional experts assess the status of territories acquired in the Spanish

The Truth of the matter is, John McCain may have only have been eligible to be president because he was white, where as Ted Cruz being Hispanic may be the thing that screws him.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:39 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,085 times
Quote:

This should settle Cruz eligibility for the Trump Tribe
SUSAN CARLESON: This should settle Cruz eligibility for the Trump Tribe - Washington Times
Interesting. So Cruz is a natural born citizen of two countries.

A good solid all-American Canadian.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:52 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,432,756 times
Quote:
[b]Lawyer Challenging Ted Cruz Eligibility Was Suspended From Practice of Law
the link states that schwartz has been suspended from practicing laws in louisiana but is still a bar member in texas.

( altho i agree the case will be dropped on standing ).

Old 01-15-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
the link states that schwartz has been suspended from practicing laws in louisiana but is still a bar member in texas.

( altho i agree the case will be dropped on standing ).
Louisiana and Pennsylvania. Not a good reputation. Of course, he supports Bernie Sanders. LOL!

Old 01-15-2016, 10:55 PM

8,543 posts, read 10,962,618 times
Default Natural born citizen.

It is written into the constitution, but never clearly defined.
Eventually the scotus is going to have to address this, as to what was, and is meant by the term natural born.
My belief, and I am pretty sure it was the belief of the founding fathers is, born on united states soil, regardless of parent's citizenship.

Correct me if I'M wrong,but naturalized citizen is in direct conflict with the term natural born, and when choosing a president, I would think natural born would, and should be the deciding factor over naturalized.

Bob.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:20 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
This is my latest speculation. It always bugged me that Cruz Sr. became a Canadian citizen, no offensive to Canada btw. It's just that the University of Texas accepted him and gave him scholarships. He received a student visa, refugee status and a green card (that's a big deal). American companies also took a chance and hired him. His children were born in Texas and lived in Texas. I think he went to Canada to avoid being drafted, legal US residents had to register. Late 1960's = Vietnam. Mrs. Cruz didn't need Canadian citizenship to vote because she was a British citizen (dual US citizenship). Her first husband is rumored to have been from England, she lived for six years in England, her son was born and passed away there. That's what I'm guessing anyway.
Update: The bolded part of my speculation is wrong. Cruz's mother's first husband, Alan Wilson, has been interviewed. He said that Eleanor never became a British subject. I just wanted to clear that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections