Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 09:23 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The share of Americans identifying as a Democrat dropped to a record low in 2015, according to the latest Gallup results published Monday, in the latest indication that Americans’ attachment to either political party is at or nearing historical lows.

Overall, 42 percent over the course of the last year identified as independents, a slight drop from the 43 percent who identified as such in 2014. While Democrats maintained a small advantage over Republicans — 29 percent to 26 percent — the Democratic share is at its lowest in Gallup history.
Link: Gallup: Percentage of people identifying as Democrats reaches all time low « Hot Air

Considering the faces of today's Democrat Party are far left wing extremists like Obama, Hillary, Pelosi, Sanders, and Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, I can't say I'm surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Link: Gallup: Percentage of people identifying as Democrats reaches all time low « Hot Air

Considering the faces of today's Democrat Party are far left wing extremists like Obama, Hillary, Pelosi, Sanders, and Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, I can't say I'm surprised.
This has been a trend for quite a few years.

I wonder if/when more states will start opening up their primaries.
As it stands now, due to "closed" primaries, smaller and smaller percentages of voters will get to vote to select a party nominee.

Hardly representative.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Looks like a substantial number of them are shifting sides to support Donald Trump.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:32 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
It's true for both major parties. IND is the new plurality in many states including my own once solidly Republican state. Maintaining a partisan approach to elections in the face of this is leading to candidates and legislatures that are completely out of touch with the majority of citizens.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:33 AM

170 posts, read 104,837 times
And yet Republicans and Democrats will continue with the strangle hold on the political process.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:35 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:

In fairness, maybe you should also mention the part of the survey that shows there still are more Democrats than Republicans, and more Democrats+lean Dems than Republicans+lean Republicans.

Mick

Old 01-11-2016, 09:40 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
In fairness, maybe you should also mention the part of the survey that shows there still are more Democrats than Republicans, and more Democrats+lean Dems than Republicans+lean Republicans.

Mick
It's in the link, so no I don't "in fairness" need to mention anything other than what I want to mention.

29% Democrat ID versus 26% GOP ID is within the margin of error. And given the meme Democrats have been hanging their hats on about how demographics guarantee them electoral wins in every election from now until the end of time, you'd think this would be concerning to them.

But apparently it is't. Fine with me!

Old 01-11-2016, 09:53 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
It's in the link, so no I don't "in fairness" need to mention anything other than what I want to mention.

29% Democrat ID versus 26% GOP ID is within the margin of error. And given the meme Democrats have been hanging their hats on about how demographics guarantee them electoral wins in every election from now until the end of time, you'd think this would be concerning to them.

But apparently it is't. Fine with me!
Take a look at this monthly compilation of the same question by Gallup. You will see that, in fact, Democrats are doing better now than in July, September and October, and in earlier 2015. Can you discern any real trend . . . it fluctuates a lot in a short period of time . . . looks to me like it's just that Gallup's collection method is not consistent.

Mick

Old 01-11-2016, 11:24 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Gallup's actual title, when reporting the poll results:
Democrat, Republican Identification Near Historical Lows

Which really isn't news to anyone.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:21 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
My spouse and I have been Democrats for a long time. Just this past year, we changed our registration to Independent. Establishment Democrats are no different than Establishment Republicans.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, is living in delusion land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections