Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 02:02 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Please tell us which candidate has a better understanding of the role of President than Trump, and why.
Ted Cruz. He not only has memorized the Constitution, but has experience as a Senator and therefore understands that our form of Government involves 3 separate branches of Government, each with a distinct role to play in the law making process. It is congress that writes legislation and it is the President that signs that legislation into law. Of course, the President can make he desires known to Congress as far as WHAT HE WANTS TO DO, but the President cannot act unilaterally, regardless of what the current "pen and phone guy" currently residing at the WH thinks.

When I hear Trump talk, he is always saying the HE will do this, or HE will make Mexico pay for the wall, or HE will make sure everyone has the best healthcare in the world, etc., etc. At no point, have I ever heard Trump talk about working with Congress or how he intends to get his ideas through Congress.

My personal take is that Trump is a great CEO, but our form of government is not run by a CEO, it is run by a President, who has a defined and limited role to play.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
He has never been a position where he doesn't call all the shots but if he wins, once he goes through his job orientation he will realize how powerless he really is.

However I don't believe Trump is a man who wants to change America, he just wants to change his image and be called "Mr. president". He is a salesman, not someone who feels very strongly about any issue. He has no problem flip flopping on important issues like his friend Hillary Clinton. He is one corrupt New Yorker who will probably not meet a single campaign promise.

Trump will be in bed with TPTB. Narcissists think they can BS their way out of every situation and his followers will buy his BS for a while until they realize they were fooled because nothing has changed. Trump will make himself richer but that's not that different from what other presidents have done.

I completely agree with your statement. THE ONLY difference I see between Obama and Trump is that Trump does love this country and his intentions towards the US are positive. Trump is nearly 70 years old. He has the innate patriotism that comes from that generation and he has seen how America has flourished and thrived under different party ideologies.

I also believe that Trump is not the ideologue that is Obama. He is a pragmatist that is more focused on getting his way, than by upholding a set of principles. That type of pragmatism is great in business, but not so great in politics. In this area, Trump is a lot more like Hilary.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:25 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Ted Cruz.
One minor detail. He is a religious fundamentalist who wants us back in the 1950s. i.e.

Segregated schools

Women at home baking cookies

Gays & Lesbians pushed back into closet.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:48 PM

11,769 posts, read 5,783,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This shows the power of xenophobia.

City-data right-wingers have been bashing liberal NYC for YEARS and YEARS. Now all of a sudden, attacking the city's values is bad because Cruz's barb was directed at Trump?

The fact that Trumps' conservative tough-guy makeover is obviously fake means nothing to his supporters. He's going to build a wall and kick out the Muslims and Mexicans. They couldn't care less about his flip-flopping and phony persona.

Ray - you call everyone else out for misinterpreting things or not putting the words in context and you continue to do the same thing. He was talking about illegal Mexicans and he was talking about a temporary ban on Muslims entering the US - which I also heard spoken by Fiorina, Huckabee and Santorum last night. If you are going to chide others for doing the same thing you continue to do - I'd forgo that train of thought as you only look like a hypocrite.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:54 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Default Good suggestion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Ray - you call everyone else out for misinterpreting things or not putting the words in context and you continue to do the same thing. He was talking about illegal Mexicans and he was talking about a temporary ban on Muslims entering the US - which I also heard spoken by Fiorina, Huckabee and Santorum last night. If you are going to chide others for doing the same thing you continue to do - I'd forgo that train of thought as you only look like a hypocrite.
Nicely put, but how far off is Trump's position vs how even Bush characterized it last night?

And btw, Fiorina and those others weren't there last night...

Old 01-15-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
One minor detail. He is a religious fundamentalist who wants us back in the 1950s. i.e.

Segregated schools

Women at home baking cookies

Gays & Lesbians pushed back into closet.

You mean like his wife? A smart and successful career woman?

The rest of your statement is just the projection of your personal bigotry against Christians.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:16 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
they were at the children's table earlier in the evening.....

Last edited by BucFan; 01-15-2016 at 04:02 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 03:50 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm not sure what a "noob" is, but I might be one too for thinking Bush is done, although not JUST for getting flustered like he does. I thought he was done before last night for a lot of reasons and watching him last night just helped confirm that for me and a lot of other folks too I think. Unfortunately, what he said to counter Trump about Muslims in general was probably the most intelligent thing anybody up there said last night about anything, but delivery matters and Bush just doesn't have much in the way of effective delivery.

As for who among the GOP candidates is "ready" to be POTUS?

I hate to ask, because no doubt they are all plenty "ready" as far as they are concerned as well as those who can possibly sustain Trump the way they have in the polls until now. Maybe "ready," but good for America?

Watching them closely last night for any glimmer of hope, and it just doesn't seem there to be found.

Call me a "noob..."
Noob=Newbie.

Another lesson: cut down on the walls of text in your posts. Your not impressing anyone and your point gets lost in the rambling.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:13 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
It's not what he said--it's what his supporters want to hear. But Trump is no fool. He won't say all Muslims are bad, he'll just say he saw thousands of them celebrating in NYC on 9/11. He won't say black people are bad, he'll simply imply that most white people are killed by them.

He must be as graduate of the Lee Atwater School of Coded Language.

Oh, and his ban isn't temporary, it's indefinite until "we find out that the hell is going on". Considering that Trump didn't even know what the nuclear triad is, that ban could take years.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:21 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Default Duly noted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Noob=Newbie.

Another lesson: cut down on the walls of text in your posts. Your not impressing anyone and your point gets lost in the rambling.

Brevity is the soul of wit.
This complaint comes and goes, mostly from people who it seems can hardly get past the one-liners. I've noticed more than a few people who don't seem to get "lost" at all regardless the length, quite the contrary, but ultimately it's more like music I think. Too long when we don't like the sound. Too short if we do.

For me personally, I prefer reading whatever seems worth reading, long or short. This sort of comment of yours, on the other hand, is at the other extreme when it comes to civility or value.

I try to bring something "to the party" in any case, whether long or short, and I am sorry for those not pleased with longer comments, but isn't it easier to just read what you wish (or not) rather than "make friends" with these sorts of insults?

Just asking...

PS: I like your brevity quote, and I agree there is often something to be said for "short and sweet," but brevity can also be lack of what to offer or focus or patience or interest. That list goes on, but for you, I'll keep it short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections