Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 01:08 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times

Advertisements

Rand Paul: GOP is turning into 'the old white man's party' | TheHill

Quote:
“I’ve said we need to be a party that has, you know, [people] with earrings, without earrings, with tattoos, without tattoos, black, white, brown, rich [and] poor,” Paul said. "If anything, one of the faults of the Republican Party is we’re not diverse enough.

“When we become the old white man’s party — which we’ve been kind of headed towards for a while — we’re never going to win another election.”
I am not really a fan of his foreign policy views but dang, he smacks the ball right out of the stadium when it comes to domestic policy

I have believed for some time now that a blend of libertarianism and centrism is the future of the 21st Century Republican Party and Sen. Paul exemplifies this. We need a "Fourth Way" under which the traditional conservative values of limited government, individual liberty, and pro-free market economics adapt to meet 21st century realities especially on demographics, economics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 01:12 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
The GOP has been an old white man's party for many years now. That's why the Tea party got started. I've called several "Old" republican politicians in my district and let them know that they no longer had my support unless they changed. It's now or never for the Republican party. Rand is right.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:14 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Rand Paul: GOP is turning into 'the old white man's party' | TheHill

I am not really a fan of his foreign policy views but dang, he smacks the ball right out of the stadium when it comes to domestic policy

I have believed for some time now that a blend of libertarianism and centrism is the future of the 21st Century Republican Party and Sen. Paul exemplifies this. We need a "Fourth Way" under which the traditional conservative values of limited government, individual liberty, and pro-free market economics adapt to meet 21st century realities especially on demographics, economics, etc.

True. As has been reported elsewhere, after the 2012 Presidential election defeat the RNC created a commission to investigate the reason for the loss, and to make recommendations.

One recommendation: appeal to the Hispanic vote by laying less stress on harsh illegal alien language. Of course, Trump and Cruz have utterly ignored this recommendation.

Here is the report:

GOP.com: Growth and Opportunity Project

Old 01-14-2016, 01:16 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
What is it about becoming a Republican leader that makes you sound like a Democrat? Yesterday we had Haley now this.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:18 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
LOL.

So is it just Old White Men who have voted for GOP to
  • Take control of the US Senate
  • Take control of the US House by huge margin
  • hold the majority of Governor's seats
  • Take control of the majority of state governments
  • Send more than 1000 DNC politicians home to contemplate their flaws
How silly.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:21 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
True. As has been reported elsewhere, after the 2012 Presidential election defeat the RNC created a commission to investigate the reason for the loss, and to make recommendations.

One recommendation: appeal to the Hispanic vote by laying less stress on harsh illegal alien language. Of course, Trump and Cruz have utterly ignored this recommendation.

Here is the report:

ANYBODY who wants to protect illegal aliens needs to be put in their place and that ain't in office. Too the Dems need to do just that as well, NOT just the Repubs.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:28 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LOL.

So is it just Old White Men who have voted for GOP to
  • Take control of the US Senate
  • Take control of the US House by huge margin
  • hold the majority of Governor's seats
  • Take control of the majority of state governments
  • Send more than 1000 DNC politicians home to contemplate their flaws
How silly.
What is silly is resting on this and believing that because this is where the GOP is right now, at this moment in time, that it's where the GOP will be going forward. Demographics are not on the GOP's side if they continue on their current trajectory. Paul is right. You are being myopic.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:31 PM

658 posts, read 1,143,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

Here is the report:

the party as a whole has ignored the entire report.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:38 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
It makes me wonder where Rand Paul would be had he been this critical of the GOP since the beginning. The fact is, I've seen Paul's politics and basically every Republican worth respecting would more or less like him. He's not a Tea Party Republicans, he's just a Republican (basically a Libertarian). Had be been more assertive in that view the whole time, I think Rand Paul would have had a better campaign. Yeah, he would have lost the Tea Party crowd, who gravitates to people like Trump, but that's actually a good thing. Had he successfully alienated them, the Republican party would have undergone the necessary reform it needs. He would have gotten the many Republicans who simply believe in a free market, the rule of law, and other liberal (proper sense of the word, not modern) principles, things that many Democrats actually also support.

Contrary to what Fox says, most Democrats actually support the free market. They're more critical of it at times, understandably so (given that we've not had a genuine free market for quite some time), but they do support free market principles as a whole. Proper Republicans and Democrats actually have an enormous amount in common. They disagree on implantation of certain things more so than anything, but they both want the same thing.

The Tea Party is not like that. They believe in loving America but hating Americans and it's government. They want to rewrite our fascinating history into being one of Christianity. They want to deny science in the face of political opinion. The Tea Party is, and I do not hesitate in my saying this, the enemy of America.

Rand Paul clearly knows this but mistakenly thought that if he didn't emphasize that, he would have a better chance. It didn't work, and now the Republicans have no chance of nominating an actual Republican.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:56 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It makes me wonder where Rand Paul would be had he been this critical of the GOP since the beginning. The fact is, I've seen Paul's politics and basically every Republican worth respecting would more or less like him. He's not a Tea Party Republicans, he's just a Republican (basically a Libertarian). Had be been more assertive in that view the whole time, I think Rand Paul would have had a better campaign. Yeah, he would have lost the Tea Party crowd, who gravitates to people like Trump, but that's actually a good thing. Had he successfully alienated them, the Republican party would have undergone the necessary reform it needs. He would have gotten the many Republicans who simply believe in a free market, the rule of law, and other liberal (proper sense of the word, not modern) principles, things that many Democrats actually also support.

Contrary to what Fox says, most Democrats actually support the free market. They're more critical of it at times, understandably so (given that we've not had a genuine free market for quite some time), but they do support free market principles as a whole. Proper Republicans and Democrats actually have an enormous amount in common. They disagree on implantation of certain things more so than anything, but they both want the same thing.

The Tea Party is not like that. They believe in loving America but hating Americans and it's government. They want to rewrite our fascinating history into being one of Christianity. They want to deny science in the face of political opinion. The Tea Party is, and I do not hesitate in my saying this, the enemy of America.

Rand Paul clearly knows this but mistakenly thought that if he didn't emphasize that, he would have a better chance. It didn't work, and now the Republicans have no chance of nominating an actual Republican.
Excellent post! And a very good description of the Tea Party and the Trump loyalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections