Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:06 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times

Advertisements

The polls yesterday showed Obama winning by 13 or 16 points in California. Polls don't mean anything anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:08 PM

182 posts, read 436,166 times
I don't think so. I made up my mind to vote for Clinton a looooooooooooong time ago, before there was even a race. I don't think Obama will be as helpful to the middle class as Clinton will be.
Secondly, I don't care what color he is, I have just always liked Billary. All the campaign money and policy promises at this point could in no way sway my opinion. Sorry Obama-first come first serve.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:09 PM

403 posts, read 748,889 times
Quote:
The Demographics do not add up for Obama- he did not win hugely diverse states like NY, CA, AZ NJ Mass- but wins states with high African American population and ones with rich affluent 'liberal whites' or young voters into the 'buzz'- his wins in the far west where also rather 'boutique' and based mostly on small Democratic primaries or caucuses.

He won North Dakota, Idaho, Alaska, Missuori, kansas, Utah....by getting super majority white voters.

He won Alabama, Georgia........by getting majority black voters.

Quote:
think the nation needs change-away from the ultra laissez fair social Darwinist policies of the last 30 years

If we had lasieez fair, there would be no social security and medicare. Federal goverment budget just passed $3 trillion dollar. Want more?

Quote:
The polls yesterday showed Obama winning by 13 or 16 points in California. Polls don't mean anything anymore.
Only one zogby poll showed obama getting a 20 point jump( in the last two days) and winning by 15 points and it was wrong. Everyone else showed clinton winning.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:09 PM

Plus the whole limited-experience thing kind of bothers me.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:12 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Polls are fluid- remember Michael Dukakis had something like a 17 point lead over Bush Senior in 1988-and lost big time- The republicans will take Obama over the coals- and his rather boutique collation of mainly blacks, rich whites and the young will not be enough. He needs the bread and butter working class Dems to win-along with latino's in the big states he lost yesterday.

And many will not voye for him- they will sit out the election or vote republican.
I am neither rich, black or particularly young and I am not alone, in the state of Wa his support is very strong. Look for Obama to win the caucus this Saturday handily.

I think you may be underestimating the hate many on the right have for Hilliary Clinton. Forget about conservatives staying home because of McCain, they'll come out just to vote against Clinton.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 PM

what are you talking about? social security and medicare are government institutions. Neither of these programs have a thing to do with big business, which is to what "laissez fair" government refers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1000 View Post

He won North Dakota, Idaho, Alaska, Missuori, kansas, Utah....by getting super majority white voters.

If we had lasieez fair, there would be no social security and medicare. Federal goverment budget just passed $3 trillion dollar. Want more?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica1000 View Post

Only one zogby poll showed obama getting a 20 point jump( in the last two days) and winning by 15 points and it was wrong. Everyone else showed clinton winning.

North Dakota, Idaho, Alaska, Utah- states with very few Democratic voters- means little compared to the mega states won by Mrs Clinton.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I am neither rich, black or particularly young and I am not alone, in the state of Wa his support is very strong. Look for Obama to win the caucus this Saturday handily.

I think you may be underestimating the hate many on the right have for Hilliary Clinton. Forget about conservatives staying home because of McCain, they'll come out just to vote against Clinton.
He may win Washington, but loose Texas, Ohio and PA-far more important.
Once again Washington- the Seattle area- a very 'boutique' demographic and geographic area-lacks 'breadth' in the states Mrs Climton has won.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:18 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
North Dakota, Idaho, Alaska, Utah- states with very few Democratic voters- means little compared to the mega states won by Mrs Clinton.
New York is her home state. California she won almost purely on the strength of the Latino vote. When Obama won states because of the black vote, you indicated that was a weakness. How is Clinton's victory in Ca. any different?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:22 PM

310 posts, read 1,196,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
I was discussing politics with some people of Latin American heritage a few weeks ago, and when I asked about who they supported in the presidential race, they unanimously stated Hillary, because they don't like Obama's racial background. I guess it's because Hillary looks like the people idolized on spanish speaking television, while there's a deep seeded bias against blacks in the cultures of Latin America.
Another reason Latinos vote for Clinton is because of Bill Clinton. Bill Clinton's stance on illegal immigration was generous. And also Latinos usually vote for someone they recognize more. Meaning they know the Clinton name. Ew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections