Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't care what some website says, I'll just note that you have went from "Flat tax" to "fair tax" and you don't seem to be able to state a position without using someone general statements on a website.

Do you believe all income should be taxed at the same rate? ie: earned income and income from capital gains.
And obviously you don't care to read what I've said either. If I'm not mistaken I've said from the start "flat/fair tax". That would mean that I'd support either. Now if you'd like to know which I'd lean towards at this point I'd be more inclined to go towards the fair tax.

As for the "some website" comment, it's the site by the creators of the Fair Tax and as such a reference point and would give you the information you seek.
I'm sorry if that was so confusing.

So, in the end I'll just note that reading comprehension can be lacking sometimes here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 10:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Still no answer.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:37 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
This is the most honest, fair, productive tax system possible. Free market competition will do the rest.
No it won't. It's why social security was established in the first place. "Free markets" do not inherently have morals. Your proposals would eliminate social security and medicaid. Free markets do not solve everything.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:41 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Corporations are legal fictions that have not, do not, and never will bear the burden of taxation. Only people pay taxes. Corporations pass on their tax burden in the form of higher prices to consumers, lower wages to workers, and/or lower returns to investors. The idea that taxing a corporation reduces taxes on, say the working poor, is a cruel hoax. A corporate tax only makes what the working poor buy more expensive, costs them jobs, lowers their lifestyle, or delays their retirement. Under the FairTax Plan, money retained in the business and reinvested to create jobs, build factories, or develop new technologies, pays no tax. This is the most honest, fair, productive tax system possible. Free market competition will do the rest.
That's what the Sanders type idealists don't seem to grasp.

Apply the same logic to the minimum wage debate.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:34 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Good idea. Good thing we dont have to talk about hypotheticals here. Let's look at some societies with extremely low minimum wage and low corporate taxes. How is the working class doing in these societies?

Let's take Singapore. Often considered a dream society by the far right with no minimum wage and very low taxes.

Read carefully about the plight of the working class in Singapore, the model society for the far right in America. And of course, even higher income and wealth inequality than the US. It's shocking reading:

Singapore: First World Economy, First World Costs, Third World Everything Else | The Heart Truths

Old 02-02-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Sadly we had to bail them out.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Good idea. Good thing we dont have to talk about hypotheticals here. Let's look at some societies with extremely low minimum wage and low corporate taxes. How is the working class doing in these societies?

Let's take Singapore. Often considered a dream society by the far right with no minimum wage and very low taxes.

Read carefully about the plight of the working class in Singapore, the model society for the far right in America. And of course, even higher income and wealth inequality than the US. It's shocking reading:

Singapore: First World Economy, First World Costs, Third World Everything Else | The Heart Truths
Who cares about the citizens so long as the market is free. Maybe if they just work longer and harder they'll be rich.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:44 PM

Free markets aren't bailed out by the taxpayers.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:57 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Free markets aren't bailed out by the taxpayers.
That's where unchecked free markets always end up, because of increased concentration of wealth and power at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections