Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 02:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You are correct. And Seacove, people who work pay into Social Security. It's more like an annuity not a handout.

The middle class pays the bill but when they become elderly their SS will be above the income limit. I know because my makes mom is $5.82 too much to be able to get help. She's a 50's woman, stay at home and take care of the kids and didn't start working until her 40's so she didn't have time to build up a decent SS. And she STILL does not qualify for help.

The income limits are so low for help in your elderly years that for someone to qualify they'd have to be a taker most of their lives.
Your mom was fortunate to stay home with the kids. Most moms work and take care of the kids and go to college and have to maintain their education and still pay into Medicare and Social Security. And if your mom got to stay home until her 40s I don't know why I should have to supplement her. I don't know why I should have to supplement the elderly at all. I would rather they took more out for Medicare or tell those that have spent their Medicare funds that the well is dry. Your mom has only worked 10+ years in her life? She should be quite happy for her lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 02:34 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

You mean like Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch? Oh, wait...
Oddly for some reason they have pretty much been gave free get out of jail cards.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Nobody outside the NY/NJ area cares about the little bridge problem.
And yet they do. It goes to show what kind of politician he is.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The poor will get free home nursing care, home modifications so they can go home, free medical, free food, free medication, subsidized heating. The middle class will not qualify for any of this.
This is not true. What is happening now is they are giving their assets to family members and receiving Medicaid! Medicaid is the number one way the elderly are paying for nursing care. The elderly are receiving Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid! They are getting it all. Read up on it, they have tried to limit ways they basically scam to receive Medicaid but they still find ways to do it.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:42 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
In other civilized countries, everyone gets a pension of between $10 000 and $20 000 per year depending on the country, when they reach the age of 65 or 67, regardless of whether they have worked or not. Its the type of "second bill of rights" that FDR was fighting for, where everyone has a right to a minimum standard of living.

America is the richest country in the world, but still hasnt managed to provide the people with a minimum standard of living as the billionaire class pour money into the political process to make sure ordinary Americans get the short end of the stick.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
In other civilized countries, everyone gets a pension of between $10 000 and $20 000 depending on the country when they reach retirement age, regardless of whether they have worked or not. Its the type of "second bill of rights" that FDR was fighting for, where everyone has a right to a minimum standard of living.
Yet health care coverage is a bad thing. Let's make sure everyone has a nice retirement whether they worked or not, but health coverage is bad. Absolutely ridiculous. If someone had the luxury of staying at home during the years I've been working and juggling family responsibilities, I don't owe them a cushy retirement. I just want to know my fellow citizens can go to the doctor and get treatment and not fear what will happen to them if they get a life threatening disease. I don't need to make sure they are retiring in comfort.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:53 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yet health care coverage is a bad thing. Let's make sure everyone has a nice retirement whether they worked or not, but health coverage is bad. Absolutely ridiculous. If someone had the luxury of staying at home during the years I've been working and juggling family responsibilities, I don't owe them a cushy retirement. I just want to know my fellow citizens can go to the doctor and get treatment and not fear what will happen to them if they get a life threatening disease. I don't need to make sure they are retiring in comfort.
Do you support a minimum pension for everyone when they reach a certain age so they can at least live in dignity? In other social democratic countries, this is accepted by everyone. And people dont have the freedom to go bankrupt from cancer treatment, workers are entitled to at least 5 weeks of paid vacation to improve health and family connections, all workers are allowed paid time off to say goodbye to a dying parent, there is no for-profit prison industry and public money is invested in its people instead of corporate welfare, a massive prison system and a military industrial complex. Isnt that what we should strive for?

Old 02-26-2016, 02:53 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Just because Christie endorsed him doesn't make NJ red in the general. Christie wasn't even winning the Republican nomination polls in NJ before he drops out, so I doubt his endorsement sways things in a state that his been historically blue for some time even when they do have a Republican governor. Mass is the same way - they elect a R for governor every now and again to shake things up but it doesn't mean they go red in the general election.

Maybe they will....."just to shake things up".

Old 02-26-2016, 02:55 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Christie endorsing Trump. Great timing. Most media will be talking about that today instead of how badly Trump got pummeled in the debate last night.
Maybe Trump offered Christie the use if his airplane.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:03 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Maybe Trump offered Christie the use if his airplane.
Christie just lining up a new job since he can't run for reelection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections