Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 03:20 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
What if you had cancer before and are self employed. And your current insurance company cancelled your policy because they don't want to risk paying high claims if your cancer comes back. And no other insurance company will accept you because you had cancer(they made you fill out of questionaire for individual policies before they decide to accept or deny you, pre-Obamacare).

How would you get health insurance in this case, if Obamacare was repealed? Even if you had lots of money to pay for the premium, there is no insurance carrier that will accept you.
High risk pool. I am surprised no one suggested it to him if he were making inquiries. Our state has an insurance commissioner that could point people in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And what idiots created employer-based insurance?

An appendectomy costs $2,800, but the hospital bills $55,000 then negotiates a settlement of $11,000 with the insurance company and you don't see a problem?

....actually read the laws on the books in your State that related to health insurance and healthcare?
Go back 40 years before health insurance became one of the few industries left in the US and most people could easily pay their hospital bills by setting up small affordable payments and it didn't take 40 years to pay them off. The middle man is the problem, the insurance company. Now every medical/dental office has 1 person to help the professional and 2, 3 or more to fill out and fight over payment with the insurance companies. A dentist used to have one person acting as assistant and clerical staff and so did the doctor we went to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Buy it from your state's high risk pool, which existed before Obamacare.
I am surprised that everyone had not heard about that. I know when they wouldn't give us a family policy with private insurance, they suggested the state's high risk pool because we had a child with a disability. Had we have had a lower income or if he were an anchor baby, the state would have covered him under Medicaid.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:24 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Buy it from your state's high risk pool, which existed before Obamacare.
My state didn't have a high rish pool pre Obamacare. 35 states had them- mine wasn't one of them.

There was a federal plan but you had to be uninsured for 6 months to qualify for it. So if you needed costly care or surgery during that 6 months without insurance, then you either are denied care or you pay for it out of pocket.

For example, you need surgery and expensive chemo and you can't wait 6 months because the treatment is urgent. Maybe you die while waiting that 6 months?

Old 01-31-2016, 04:32 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So - by your own admission - you are calling out a poster for speaking against threads and you say nothing about those who oppose Clinton because ' you're not interested' and don't read them.

Then you really can't talk, no?

The most prolific anti-Hillary poster seems to have taken a short break.

Long story short - there is nothing unusual about this situation. Not if you have spent any time on CD that is.

Ringo - I believe Jams can answer for themself - but then again - maybe not. If I don't read a thread - than how am I to know what is in the thread? Again you deflect and blame others for your lack of understanding.

If we choose to read the same thread - and I disagree with you - then yes - I'll comment - but if you choose to answer on a thread that I don't read - what right do I have to call you out on something. Please crawl back into your hole.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:42 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
My state didn't have a high rish pool pre Obamacare. 35 states had them- mine wasn't one of them.

There was a federal plan but you had to be uninsured for 6 months to qualify for it. So if you needed costly care or surgery during that 6 months without insurance, then you either are denied care or you pay for it out of pocket.

For example, you need surgery and expensive chemo and you can't wait 6 months because the treatment is urgent. Maybe you die while waiting that 6 months?

The one important area covered with the ACA is pre-existing conditions - but we did not have to disrupt the whole industry to enact such coverage. Insurance companies are the big problem. It always use to amaze me that in our medical office - their was one rate for insurance companies - one for the No Fault and Compensation cases and one for the private pay - or those without insurance. Which charged the most for the same procedure - the private pay - seemed stupid to me as if the person had money - I assume most would buy insurance.

Things are a bit more streamlined now - but an MRI cost $800 - $1,000 if someone had insurance - granted that was not what the insurance company would pay the facility - but that was what was billed. For a compensation case - the cost of the MRI was $500 - because any treatment or test $500 or below - did not have to be pre-approved by the carrier. Just in this instance - a basic $500 charge would simplify things for everyone - but that's not how this industry thinks.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Ringo - I believe Jams can answer for themself - but then again - maybe not. If I don't read a thread - than how am I to know what is in the thread? Again you deflect and blame others for your lack of understanding.

If we choose to read the same thread - and I disagree with you - then yes - I'll comment - but if you choose to answer on a thread that I don't read - what right do I have to call you out on something. Please crawl back into your hole.
Personal insults seems to be a particular problem of yours.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:26 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
There is a way to replace it: It's called the free market.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Yes. And other states too.

Pre Obamacare, I had a relative that was a small business owner that paid for individual health insurance for many years. The relative got lung cancer and the insurance carrier cancelled the policy in the middle of treatment for the cancer. No other carrier would accept the relative. Relative had surgery and got stuck with a large hospital and doctor bill for surgery. Had to remortgage their house to pay off the hospital and doctors. But still had more cancer treatments needed after surgery and no carrier would offer coverage.

The relative went broke and then died from the cancer and left the surviving spouse broke. Obamacare would have allowed the relative to get insurance. Actually, with Obamacare the 1st carrier wouldn't have been allowed to cancel the policy.
now people have $10K deductibles and still go broke.. Difference of course, it affects millions and not just your "relative"..

btw, tell me if they were broke, with no job, why they didnt qualify for medicaid...

Old 01-31-2016, 06:36 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Personal insults seems to be a particular problem of yours.
Yep. Some posters you learn to just scroll past after a while.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Go back 40 years before health insurance became one of the few industries left in the US and most people could easily pay their hospital bills by setting up small affordable payments and it didn't take 40 years to pay them off. The middle man is the problem, the insurance company. Now every medical/dental office has 1 person to help the professional and 2, 3 or more to fill out and fight over payment with the insurance companies. A dentist used to have one person acting as assistant and clerical staff and so did the doctor we went to.
Government is the problem, which required insurance companies to cover almost everything under the sun. At the very notion someone would suggest that people should pay for their own routine care, the left would whine and cry about things like $6 birth control costs..

In many ways, the whole problem is created by the left, using government as a strong arm to increase costs, and then they whine about the results, as if making things more expensive was supposed to help people.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:24 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
now people have $10K deductibles and still go broke.. Difference of course, it affects millions and not just your "relative"..

btw, tell me if they were broke, with no job, why they didnt qualify for medicaid...
The weren't broke with no job. They owned a small business and the spouse still worked there and earned a basic wage - enough money for food and basics (but not to pay all the cancer related med costs out of pocket as well, that's why they had to remortgage their home to pay for cancer surgery costs). There was a period of time with no insurance and them attempting to pay all the bills and having to go without prescriptions and avoid lab tests because of lack of money. I gave them money several times and so did other relatives because they were not able to afford prescriptions that were necessary.

At some point the person with cancer qualified for medicaid. It was a very sad situation because they had paid for health insurance for many years and as soon as the cancer occurred, the health insurance carrier cancelled the policy. The insurance company was glad to accept the premiums year after year but then dropped the policy as soon as big claims occurred. And since this was pre-Obamacare, switching to a different insurance policy wasn't possible because no carrier would accept someone with lung cancer . they weren't broke before the cancer occurred. Having to pay out-of-pocket for the cancer health issues caused them to go broke. they paid for surgery and hospital bills to remove 1 lung plus all labs tests and prescriptions. I think in the $50k-$100k range for surgery. It was a lot of money over a period of time because labs tests and doctor visits and sonograms and MRIs and prescriptions. Lots of money to pay out-of-pocket.

This is why I support Obamacare - because with it - the insurance company cannot cancel your policy when you get sick. And because under Obamacare, people can purchase a policy and cannot be turned down from getting a policy when preexisting condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections