Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:11 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And even more than that. The record vote turnout in Iowa — 180,000 strong — completely disproved the conventional wisdom that a newer and larger electorate would favor Trump. If anything, the evidence suggests that voters were inspired to turn out for Cruz and for the surprisingly strong third-place finisher, Marco Rubio (who beat the poll averages by nearly seven points), not only to cast a positive vote for the candidate they preferred but specifically to deny Trump a win.

This is a dynamic that should be closely watched from here on out. The polls showing Trump leading everywhere have been registering the results of his astounding command of the media — but have always been blurred somewhat by his undeniably high negatives.

Perhaps, in the Iowa results, we saw the first real effects of Trump’s unpopularity with Republicans — that he may be generating actual negative turnout of the sort pollsters find difficult to measure. People may not have crawled through glass to vote for him. They may have crawled through glass to tell Trump to take a well-deserved hike.
Link: http://nypost.com/2016/02/02/iowans-...-donald-trump/

Some pretty good analysis here. I don't think Trump or his followers really understand how disliked he is by a YUGE percentage of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 07:23 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Not a Trump supporter but continue bashing ti make yourself feel better. Actually Trump may have actually beat Cruz had he not received votes Carson would have received by captains telling voters that Carson was pulling out of the race. Even so - a 1st time candidate who comes in 2nd place is pretty darn good and a win as far as I'm concerned especially against seasoned politicians who have spent 10x the amt Trump did.

Are you also one of those parents that are upset that your child takes 2nd place instead of first because you consider it a loss?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:32 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Mostly what I took away from Iowa is the Republican brand is not dead, in fact there appears to be deep enthusiasm for change from the last eight years. Best of all the GOP has fielded the most diverse and interesting crop of candidates in many years and now have three strong contenders for the GOP nod.

Not bad for a party the MSM proclaimed dead and buried.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Not a Trump supporter but continue bashing ti make yourself feel better. Actually Trump may have actually beat Cruz had he not received votes Carson would have received by captains telling voters that Carson was pulling out of the race. Even so - a 1st time candidate who comes in 2nd place is pretty darn good and a win as far as I'm concerned especially against seasoned politicians who have spent 10x the amt Trump did.

Are you also one of those parents that are upset that your child takes 2nd place instead of first because you consider it a loss?
You may want to reread my post, because I did not "bash" Trump. I stated a fact, backed up by polling data, that a large proportion of the U.S. population dislikes him.

"Bashing" is what Trump and his supporters engage in, not me.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:38 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Link: Iowans didn’t just vote for Cruz, they denied Donald Trump | New York Post

Some pretty good analysis here. I don't think Trump or his followers really understand how disliked he is by a YUGE percentage of the population.
There's truth in that story and a warning to Republicans as well. The same kind of mass turnout against Trump would happen in a general election and it would translate down the entire ballot resulting in a crushing defeat for Republicans.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:40 AM

89,008 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Link: Iowans didn’t just vote for Cruz, they denied Donald Trump | New York Post

Evangelicals don't like Trump? I actually consider that a plus.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Evangelicals don't like Trump? I actually consider that a plus.
Evangelicals split almost evenly between Trump, Cruz and Rubio. Keep trying though!

Old 02-03-2016, 07:44 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
is that why they are all tied up with delegates?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:45 AM

89,008 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Evangelicals split almost evenly between Trump, Cruz and Rubio.
False.

"evangelical voters... Cruz captured 34 percent. Trump was just narrowly their second choice with 22 percent. But it was Rubio who performed much better than expected to get 21"

Iowa Caucus Results: 6 Things That Explain How It Happened : It's All Politics : NPR

A 12 percentage point difference isn't an almost even split.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

You seem to think that any post that does not reflect well on Trump is "bashing" him. This is a political board. We are here to talk about politics. Trump is the front runner of one of the two major political parties. We're going to talk about him. If you wish to hear only good things about a specific candidate go join a fan club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections