Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Trump, Rubio and Cruz are the remaining choices, who do you choose?
Trump 52 59.09%
Rubio 23 26.14%
Cruz 13 14.77%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That's odd, because all of the news I have seen about the debate paint Rubio as the loser. Especially in light of how ridiculous he looked when he kept repeating the same exact rehearsed speech, even after being called out on it.

Edit: I added the video of the exchange between Rubio and Christie.
http://youtu.be/u9OZ8xHTX7c
Christie nailed Rubio.

I see some disingenuous democrats are responding that they would like to see Rubio get it.

that, to me, is very telling.

for the record, I am not a fan of Christie but think that he has been particularly effective in the debate process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 11:00 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Bush is still the most pragmatic choice.
I like both George Washington and his dad but not Jeb. Good man but not the man in 2016 to lead this Country. The world has changed and Jeb wasn't even able to stand up and use the Bush name until he got called out and started to defend himself.

More than 100 million from donors and still at a low percentage is not showing to me he is capable to stand up against the left machine.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:23 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I do agree Trump needs to get more specific. We as a population need specifics on: Healthcare, immigration, national debt, and the economy. We are in a crucial time where these things need to be tackled aggressively.

Trump didn't flip flop any more than you or I do when we change our minds, because we're not a politician. Trump is not a politician who's accountable to the people. When he holds office, we can judge whether or not he stays consistent.
Everyone talks about Trump being more specific. I wish he would address that more since I think it is holding them back from voting for him.

At one of the diners he visited he explained it very well. He said every candidate has to put forward their plans point by point. He referenced his tax plans which contains 14 points...He said he may get to point #3 or 4 and have to negotiate with congress since they will not accept any plan in its entirety. At that point the plan changes & he may end up with most but not all parts of his original plan, (or maybe even a BETTER plan)

Also if you think about the way executives lead, they find people to delegate work to. In the case of the other candidates, they owe favors to people who donated to their cause, so some may be in the presidents cabinet because of favors owed them rather than their expertise on issues. I trust Trump because I believe he will hire the best people based on their knowledge, not ones who favors were due.

I like that Trump also doesn't show his hand and can be unpredictable. People who have poker faces do better at negotiation. Just the fact that Trump & O'Reiley have been friends for 35 years tells me that Trump is not a loon because I believe Bill O'Reiley is very level headed and would be someone I would even vote for if he was running for POTUS.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:25 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
I feel the need to point out that my vote cast here for Trump was not so much in praise for Trump, as a condemnation of the other two clowns.

I was glad to see Jeb finally showing some backbone last night.
And even Ben made a few comments that made sense.

Maybe we'll have a horse race on Tuesday, after all.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:28 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,100,245 times
If a gun were held to my head, I would choose the fascist over the fundamentalists.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:40 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
These polls typically have:

d. None of the above
e. I'd rather self-immolate
f. I'd rather dip my gonads in sulfuric acid
g. I'd rather have a menage de trois with Ted Nugent and Caitlyn Jenner

My answer would have been (e), (f) and (g), at the same time.

Mick
Well having been a victim of poll assassination.. as a poll measuring voter preference between three candidates it doesn't require any other questions other than those listed. While you additions are humorous they have nothing to do with the validity of the poll.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:21 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
Christie nailed Rubio.

I see some disingenuous democrats are responding that they would like to see Rubio get it.

that, to me, is very telling.

for the record, I am not a fan of Christie but think that he has been particularly effective in the debate process.
He doesn't have a chance in hell of winning, and I don't know what kind of president he would make, but he is definitely the best debater of the group. And it's all off the cuff, too. Probably comes from being a prosecutor and US attorney.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No contest. Trump. I will not vote for a US Senator/Lawyer. They're talkers not do-ers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't quite get your point. Yes, Reagan was one of my hero's. I was following Rand Paul for awhile, but he is just too much of an isolationist for me. I do not see Carly talking down to others, she is just one strong woman who knows what she wants and knows what would make a good leader for our country, but that makes no difference at this stage. She is going nowhere.

No one is better at putting people down and talking down to others than Trump. Add to that he is promising things he can not begin to make happen. Not to mention he has a knack for stretching the truth to the end. Some might call it dishonesty.

You mention living in Florida, 2 of our 3 children do as well; both are successful small business owners and they are supporting Rubio. Is he all we would like him to be? Absolutely not and I would prefer a governor, but he is the best we have to beat the Democrats in November. You mention Republicans shooting themselves in the foot, could you clarify what you mean?
I respect your post, but I don't see Rubio even being able to capture much of the republican vote, certainly not true conservatives, and very little cross party votes

we keep shooting ourselves in the foot by picking people we might like personally, but people unable to win a general election.

the media eviscerates trump the same way they did ross perot. They hate outsiders, and they ignore Carson also. Ross perot might have been a very good president, and he warned us about the sucking sound of jobs being lost overseas. ( was he right, I think so !)

it is a disgrace what is happening, and hopefully there are still enough of us to stand up to it, but I am not sure.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:44 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Trump is my favorite and I've already explained why.

As for the others...

Cruz is too conservative and "religious right" to win a general election.

Rubio is an open borders guy. He can't be trusted, having changed positions on that issue. He's a first term senator with no executive experience. He's never had to make a tough executive decision in his life. He might win the general election, but I don't see that as a positive other than having a Republican in the White House.

Bush is another open borders guy. He refuses to even slightly change that position, which to me shows that he is totally under the control of the business interests who want to flood this country with cheap labor and take away the bargaining power of American workers. No thanks. He seems like a good guy and a boy scout, but selling out the middle and working classes is not very nice to say the least.

Christie is an appealing, straight talking guy with executive experience as a governor. He has had to govern a blue state with a Democratic legislature, so that New Jersey's problems are much more likely the fault of Democrats than of Christie.

I have two problems with Christie, however: First, he has supported in-state tuition for illegal aliens, saying that it is better to encourage them to go to college than to have all that tax-payer-supported grade and high school education they have received be wasted. Sorry, that's just a rationalization, and not a good one. Anything we do for illegals only encourages more illegal immigration. There has to be a penalty somewhere along the line. Or we might as well open our borders to all comers.

Second, he wants to balance the budget and pay down the national debt by shortchanging seniors. His rationalization is that "the money has already been stolen."

Sorry, when government grabs people's money and promises to pay it back to them with interest, it should keep that promise. No exceptions.

The way to balance the budget and pay down the debt is to increase economic growth and tax revenues from that growth. Christie should talk to Donald Trump about that.

Kasich: Nice guy, might even win a general election, but he keeps sending signals that he'll do anything Democrats want as long as it results in something getting done in Washington. I'd rather have Washington do nothing than enact Democratic policies. You might as well vote for a Democrat. In addition, Kasich is soft on illegal immigration.

I don't think Fiorina or Carson could win the Republican nomination, much less the general election, so I won't comment on them.

Bottom line: ANY Republican is better than any Democrat. I will vote for the Republican nominee, regardless of who that is.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:50 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Trump is the worst presidential candidate in the history of this nation, by a country mile. I say this without an ounce of exaggeration, not a hint of hyperbole. He is a circus clown defined.

So yeah, anyone but him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections