Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,130,354 times

Advertisements

He's my GOP candidate of choice, and his stance on healthcare is one of the reasons. The other is that he won't sell out American jobs so readily as Cruz or Rubio would. People need to be healthy, and they need to have jobs. These two things should be nonnegotiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 09:41 PM

45,194 posts, read 26,403,967 times
No suprise. I haven't heard any of the GOP candidates advocating for the govt to stay out of healthcare.At best they want to repeal obamadontcare and replace it with a horrible system of their own construct.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:47 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,601,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
He's my GOP candidate of choice, and his stance on healthcare is one of the reasons. The other is that he won't sell out American jobs so readily as Cruz or Rubio would. People need to be healthy, and they need to have jobs. These two things should be nonnegotiable.
Do you consider yourself a Rockefeller Republican?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:48 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,601,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No suprise. I haven't heard any of the GOP candidates advocating for the govt to stay out of healthcare.At best they want to repeal obamadontcare and replace it with a horrible system of their own construct.
Or perhaps replace it with free-market competition?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:10 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,130,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Do you consider yourself a Rockefeller Republican?
I can't really label myself. I take different stances with different things. Too much of a case-by-case basis to even identify with even a particular nuance of a US political party.

Compared to most on here, I definitely lean liberal. Whereas IRL where I live, some of my views are considered too conservative to share without judgement.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:25 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,483,536 times
Quote:
I'd like to hear from Trump fans about this. So far, they seem keen to avoid this topic.
I'm a Trump fan. I lean left, and would potentially support a single payer system. The proposal would need to be a lot more transparent than Obama Care. Getting Obama Care passed was too shady. From the beginning it has been a fiasco. I fear that any meaningful healthcare reform plan would be met with a lot of opposition on both sides in congress, so I doubt Trump will give very many specifics in the race. I'm not sure what he could get passed by congress, and it's not my number one issue.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:50 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,060,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
It'll save money for everyone-normal Americans and the government. It will put extra money in the average American's pockets, which they can then turn around and spend in the economy. And it's a proven fact that every other developed country's government spends less on healthcare than we do.
Economics and Efficiency. That's ultimately how the battle for socialized medicine will be won, if it is ever won. I like to post this simple comparison:

United States:
•17% of GDP and growing spent on health care
•Tens of millions uninsured or under-insured
•Insured people living in terror of losing their jobs and health insurance
•Hundreds of thousands of medical bankruptcies each year, many of whom had insurance
•Businesses burdened by insurance concerns and costs.
•Wealthy insurance executives (and a thriving yacht industry)

Nations with Real Socialized Medicine:
•Much smaller percentage of GDP spend on health care
•100% coverage
•Zero medical bankruptcies
•Often more doctors per capita
•A more content populace
•Businesses not burdened by insurance concerns
•Fewer wealthy insurance executives (oh noes! Whatever will happen to the yacht industry?)

The big secret about universal health care and socialized medicine that the Republican and even much of the Democratic base doesn't understand is that no net new taxes are needed, nor would cuts to other parts of the budget be needed. The money that would be needed to fund socialized medicine is already being spent on health care today - just in a very inefficient and wasteful manner.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:14 AM

37,948 posts, read 17,844,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Economics and Efficiency. That's ultimately how the battle for socialized medicine will be won, if it is ever won. I like to post this simple comparison:

United States:
•17% of GDP and growing spent on health care
•Tens of millions uninsured or under-insured
•Insured people living in terror of losing their jobs and health insurance
•Hundreds of thousands of medical bankruptcies each year, many of whom had insurance
•Businesses burdened by insurance concerns and costs.
•Wealthy insurance executives (and a thriving yacht industry)

Nations with Real Socialized Medicine:
•Much smaller percentage of GDP spend on health care
•100% coverage
•Zero medical bankruptcies
•Often more doctors per capita
•A more content populace
•Businesses not burdened by insurance concerns
•Fewer wealthy insurance executives (oh noes! Whatever will happen to the yacht industry?)

The big secret about universal health care and socialized medicine that the Republican and even much of the Democratic base doesn't understand is that no net new taxes are needed, nor would cuts to other parts of the budget be needed. The money that would be needed to fund socialized medicine is already being spent on health care today - just in a very inefficient and wasteful manner.
And that's what government does, spends we the peoples money in a very inefficient and wasteful manner. So why would anyone in their right mind want government involved in health care?

By the way their wasn't tens of millions uninsured or under-insured. There were tens of millions who didn't want health care.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:56 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
"I want people taken care of. I have a heart," Trump said. "If somebody has no money and they're lying in the middle of the street and they're dying, I'm going to take care of that person."

Trump: 'I Have a Heart,' Will Give Everybody Healthcare

If he is honestly talking about socialized medicine, that puts him to the LEFT of Hillary Clinton on the issue of healthcare. Trumpets: Do you support this?
Hillary lies. You can never make a valid comparison using Hillary as your example.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:01 AM

9,354 posts, read 14,291,728 times
Quote:
I'd like to hear from Trump fans about this. So far, they seem keen to avoid this topic.
The main value of a single-payer system is the peace of mind, even if false, it gives to the average citizen. It also relieves businesses of the burden of being involved in health care financing, they have other things to focus on.

In countries where it works relatively well, say France and Italy (no, Canada is not a good model of comparison and it's hardly "abroad"), the main practical effect seems to be that all citizens get better basic care, but access to special procedures may be lacking. Also, France seems to do quite well in primary research, thank you, while Italy has a program of sending its citizens abroad (e.g. to the US) for specialized care not readily available in Italy.

Also, in both countries a private system runs in parallel to the public single-payer system, serving people with means.

The system is funded by a separate income tax and also co-pays, relatively small and simple compared to the utterly complex and expensive high deductible plans that the so-called ACA has further burdened the US system with.

Yes, with so-called ACA more people have access to health care insurance and at subsidized prices, but one of the reasons why economic growth is anemic, and we may be heading into recession this year, is the burden, totally unnecessary, the entire system puts on businesses.

One of the most alarming statistics over the past few decades is the low rate of new business formation in the United States.

Finally, even if a president Trump were to advocate for a single-payer system, it probably would never pass Congress, even if the democrats had a super-majority.

Oh wait, the democrats did have a super-majority in 2009-2010 and they didn't even talk about a single-payer system.

Health care insurance company executives rule!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections