Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

I agree. We need to get behind Obama and let him win big in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 PM

316 posts, read 596,151 times
Default O-ba-ma

Obama is the man - no pun intended.

I guess there are just less woman voters then Hillary banked on.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:29 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post

Former GOP congressman Joe Scarborough, who anchors MSNBC's "Morning Joe," says many conservative friends—including Bush officials and evangelical Christians—sent him enthusiastic e-mails after seeing Obama's post-election speeches in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. "He doesn't attack Republicans, he doesn't attack whites and he never seems to draw these dividing lines that Bill Clinton [does]," Scarborough told NEWSWEEK.

Even if Republicans don't convert in more significant numbers, the friendly outreach may blunt the ferocity of GOP attacks. One senior aide to John McCain has already said he's reluctant to attack Obama: last year, McCain's adman Mark McKinnon wrote an internal memo promising not to tape ads against the Illinois Democrat if he becomes the nominee.

When Republicans Endorse Obama | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com
I liked Obama too -- when I didn't know what any of his positions were. When I didn't know anything about his voting record -- I liked him alot too. Before the debates -- I would have voted for Obama.

But then, I started reading about his positions, his voting record, and I listened to what he said -- and I don't think I'd vote for him anymore.

Nice guy, great speaker, seems like he'd be fun to party with. Run the country? Nah.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
i agree that obama would be harder to beat then hillary.hillary is very polarizing and would really ensure that the republican base would turn out....even if they dont like mccain.i also think that if obama doesnt get the nomination a lot of blacks will stay home on the day of the general election.i hope hillary gets the nomination for these reasons
One should never hope that American citizens just "sit this one out" on the election of a president.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:41 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Time Polls are never accurate and are a direct reflection of their views and their wishful propaganda
I agree. The media has been more biased than ever lately. CNN insults Senator Clinton all the time and we all know how FOX feels about the Democrats in general. Yahoo has a tendency to favor Obama. It's amazing that Clinton has been able to hold on for this long. Of all the candidates, she's been beaten up and attacked the most from all sides. This is the kind of strength and determination we need to run our country. Obama supporters aren't voting for a candidate. They are voting for a "movement."

I got on this forum because I'm looking for voters in FL who, like me, are angry and want their voices to be heard. Clinton won by a huge margin in Florida. Saying the votes don't count is like saying I am not an American. More votes were cast for Clinton in FL than the total of 5 states that Obama won. She probably would have won MI too. A caucus like the ones in Iowa and Nevada never represent the majority of the people. I know people in caucus states who were unable to vote because few working people can take 4 or 5 hours off of work to sit around and chat. They are really unconstitutional IMHO.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:30 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree. The media has been more biased than ever lately. CNN insults Senator Clinton all the time and we all know how FOX feels about the Democrats in general. Yahoo has a tendency to favor Obama. It's amazing that Clinton has been able to hold on for this long. Of all the candidates, she's been beaten up and attacked the most from all sides. This is the kind of strength and determination we need to run our country. Obama supporters aren't voting for a candidate. They are voting for a "movement."
I read a kind of funny quote about Hillary in an old opinion piece tonight. The author wrote something like "They threw everything at her but the kitchen sink -- and then they threw the kitchen sink at her!"

I've noticed that most of the media outlets are endorsing Obama, yet it doesn't seem to matter. Hillary still pulls through in a lot of states. She really is an incredibly strong, determined woman. I'm voting for her too, if she's on the ballot in November.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:35 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,195 times
maybe I am being too cynical, but I just dont think this country is ready to elect a black president yet, there is too much subtle racism.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:29 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,252,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
maybe I am being too cynical, but I just dont think this country is ready to elect a black president yet, there is too much subtle racism.
In many ways, I think the country is more ready to elect Obama than Hillary. What Obama has come up against, but he has chipped away at until he is now at a dead heat, is that it has been EXPECTED for many years that Hillary would be running this year. She is entrenched. People who could care less, but will vote, made up their minds a few years ago when she was touted as THE candidate this election year, no options in sight. Now Obama has had to try to get his message out to people who really don't care about the message, they just care about getting the Republicans out. (Generalization I know, and not about people who spend their time reading political blogs and forums!)

Old 02-08-2008, 04:57 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I agree that Obama would be harder to beat then Hillary. Hillary is very polarizing and would really ensure that the republican base would turn out....even if they don't like McCain. I also think that if Obama doesn't get the nomination a lot of blacks will stay home on the day of the general election. I hope Hillary gets the nomination for these reasons
Though a Republican sympathizer, I have never bothered to register the vote. However, I may this time, indeed based on the outcome of the Democratic nomination process.

Obama is worth voting for by virtue of the fact that he is someone new. I have checked his policy positions, most are middle of the road, the ones I do not like can be side-stepped by voting in a Republican Congress (shades of the Bill Clinton presidency). The risk, in my view, with voting for Obama is that a majority Democratic Congress will also be voted it. It is better to avoid extremes (like we've had in 2001-2008).

It is certainly worth voting to block Billary Clintbush, or is that Hillbilly Bushclint?, or whatever, I can't tell the difference.
The only policy position from Billary Hillbilly Clintbush Bushclint worth mentioning is the proposal to force everyone to buy health insurance. Surely, despite propaganda claiming the opposite, such a policy would certainly drive up prices for everybody.

In the case of health insurance, I would be in favor of one of two extremes: total market solutions, including transparency on pricing and letting in foreign competition, especially OTC pharmaceuticals from Canada, Europe and Latin America, and having pharmacies where real professional pharmacists give advice on routine matters; or real socialized medicine, as in all health-care providers, including managers and CEOs, are government employees and all health-care facilities are government property, there is a single-payer, the government, and the system is financed through taxation. Of the two extremes, I prefer the former. But the half-ass system we have, and the half-ass proposals we are receiving, are just that, half-ass. Might as well make do with the half-ass that we already have. In short, based on the proposals, or non-proposals, that we have, it is not worth the effort to reform health care (like in Clinton I, what a waste of time and effort), so a Billary Hillary Clintbush Bushclint presidency would not only be useless, possibly damaging, in terms of policy, it may be dangerous in terms of democracy, or at the very least a crushing bore.

Anyway, depending on the outcome of the Democratic nomination process, it just may be worth voting: aye to Obama, but with a Republican Congress; nay to Billary Hillary Clintbush Bushclint (isn't there a Rodham somewhere in there, possibly followed by a Jeb, and so forth?) at all costs.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:23 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I got on this forum because I'm looking for voters in FL who, like me, are angry and want their voices to be heard. Clinton won by a huge margin in Florida. Saying the votes don't count is like saying I am not an American.
I have sympathy for the people who voted. But since candidates didn't campaign, I don't think it is fair to allow the delegates to be seated,either. The Florida Democratic Party chose to hold their primary early knowing the votes would not count. Someone should be moving to oust the state leadership, as they are the ones to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections