Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I not only wish this were possible, I'd like the Federal Reserve to be abolished. However, you compared Iceland to the U.S. with nearly 1,000 times the population. Correct me if my math is wrong, but 323,000 x 1,000 is 323,000,000. I was simply pointing out it would be a much greater, monumental challenge.
And because it isn't easy, that is a reason to not do it?

If Sanders wins, he doesn't need a single vote of support to start prosecutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 03:48 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
I would like to feel the bern because Bernie is a likable, ethical, honest, hard-working man of integrity who is running a positive, clean campaign. On the other hand, some of the things he wants to accomplish seem like pie-the-sky promises that won't work. For example, I don't believe in free college---lower college costs would be good, but if a student doesn't have to invest in their own future it will dilute the quality of colleges in my opinion. I'm keeping an open mind and hope the decision becomes easier by the time my primaries come around.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I would like to feel the bern because Bernie is a likable, ethical, honest, hard-working man of integrity who is running a positive, clean campaign. On the other hand, some of the things he wants to accomplish seem like pie-the-sky promises that won't work. For example, I don't believe in free college---lower college costs would be good, but if a student doesn't have to invest in their own future it will dilute the quality of colleges in my opinion. I'm keeping an open mind and hope the decision becomes easier by the time my primaries come around.
No one is presenting free college. It just isn't paid up front. A college educated Citizen will add far more to the country in the next 40 years than one that is not overall.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:09 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No one is presenting free college. It just isn't paid up front. A college educated Citizen will add far more to the country in the next 40 years than one that is not overall.
I agree about educated citizens being an asset to the country, I believe in higher education. If "no one is presenting free college" like you say, then Bernie's proposal to make college and universities tuition free and debt free is darn close to it.

https://berniesanders.com/issues/its...and-debt-free/

Old 02-10-2016, 04:18 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What if that college educated citizen is underemployed and involuntarily-out-of-field working in a job that doesn't require or make any use of a college education? Only 10-15% of all the jobs that need to be done require or make direct use of a college education. "If everyone went to college, we would have the world's most highly educated Walmart and McDonalds employees."

Why Did 17 Million Students Go to College? – Innovations - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Quote:
Over 317,000 waiters and waitresses have college degrees (over 8,000 of them have doctoral or professional degrees), along with over 80,000 bartenders, and over 18,000 parking lot attendants. All told, some 17,000,000 Americans with college degrees are doing jobs that the BLS says require less than the skill levels associated with a bachelor’s degree.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:27 PM

752 posts, read 566,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
"Some of you are incredibly naive. You do understand the inflation of the 70's was a direct result of "liberal" policies including those relating to the minimum wage. The nominal minimum wage nearly double by the end of the 70's yet the chained dollar amounts (2012) were essentially the same."
You aren't saying anything other than the late-70's and early-80's were a period of high inflation. Are you contending that the minimum wage was responsible for across-the-board wage inflation?

Old 02-10-2016, 04:50 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
In the 50's and 60's who were you competing with on a global scale? Today, who are you competing with on a global scale?

Some of you are incredibly naive. You do understand the inflation of the 70's was a direct result of "liberal" policies including those relating to the minimum wage. The nominal minimum wage nearly double by the end of the 70's yet the chained dollar amounts (2012) were essentially the same.

1961 Chained Dollars MW - $8.64
1980 Chained Dollars MW - $8.46

Does someone need to point out employment stats and how they relate to your work force as well?

Now what were you rambling on about?
I thought the inflation in the 70's was the result of wage and price controls. As soon as they were lifted, everybody on country raised their prices as much as they could.

We did have awful inflation but the world kept turning. I could use a little of those CD rates now. ;-)

Old 02-10-2016, 06:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
You aren't saying anything other than the late-70's and early-80's were a period of high inflation. Are you contending that the minimum wage was responsible for across-the-board wage inflation?
There were many reasons but the main reasons were the liberal policies of the times. Those included "low unemployment at any cost" Keynesianism and the idea that if you pay more money to people at the bottom that will stimulate the economy, lower unemployment and bring inflation back in check. For a more extensive list see link below.

The New Dealers were spitting out their last bit of air as the Reagan administration took over. They had free reign for decades on end.

Great Inflation - Detailed essays describe historical periods from the Federal Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I thought the inflation in the 70's was the result of wage and price controls. As soon as they were lifted, everybody on country raised their prices as much as they could.

We did have awful inflation but the world kept turning. I could use a little of those CD rates now. ;-)
Wage and price controls were not the cause, they were the result and bad policy.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 02-10-2016 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Added/edited post

Old 02-10-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I agree about educated citizens being an asset to the country, I believe in higher education. If "no one is presenting free college" like you say, then Bernie's proposal to make college and universities tuition free and debt free is darn close to it.

https://berniesanders.com/issues/its...and-debt-free/
Again.......It is not free, the costs are only put off until they start making money and adding to the pool. Most will be paying the rest of their income producing years.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
What if that college educated citizen is underemployed and involuntarily-out-of-field working in a job that doesn't require or make any use of a college education? Only 10-15% of all the jobs that need to be done require or make direct use of a college education. "If everyone went to college, we would have the world's most highly educated Walmart and McDonalds employees."

Why Did 17 Million Students Go to College? – Innovations - Blogs - The Chronicle of Higher Education
Will there be some that don't contribute as much as one would like to see? Of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections