Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:30 AM

19,583 posts, read 20,406,499 times

Advertisements

I'm just saying what I've been hearing out on the street.
Just about everyone I've spoken to about this is not happy about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:31 AM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The Tea Party wanted the Government to stop taking and the Occupiers wanted the government to give more. By taking more. I'm all for taking the banks down a notch ( or 5 or 6) but the government is not going to let that happen without a fight.
It's worth the fight. Occupy wants to take them down also. Are you another that is going to negate the gains the two sides could make working together?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:13 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,373,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Carter was perhaps a smidgen to the left of Clinton, but Obama is substantially more liberal than either.
I don't see Obama as a liberal at all - and amongst the Democratic party - their main complaint is that Obama wasn't liberal ENOUGH for them.

And Hillary is even more 'centrist' that Obama. Or, as Kitty says - to the right of Obama which is probably true.

Hence the rise of Bernie. I love Bernie; his consistency; his message; his authenticity ~ but he also scares me. I don't KNOW if our Yuge country can be Denmark or Iceland or . . . (insert name here).

So as far as the primary goes; I'm still undecided.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 AM

5,885 posts, read 3,858,000 times
I think Hillary is (or was) left to Obama on domestic policy, while being right to him on foreign.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,323,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
He has had very, very strong support among working class folks and small business owners in Vermont for decades so this is interesting. Are you sure your fear is well founded? Much higher minimum wage works well in other countries. In the late 60s, minimum wage in the US was $11 per hour. The country was much poorer then. Yet the minimum wage was higher. It worked.

The $15 minimum wage is a vision for 2020. But he knows compromises will be made, but its not wise to go out and make compromises starting from the middle. That achieves nothing. No one does that. So with compromises, it is likely to be maybe $13.50 by 2020. That's definitely not too high. These days, the minimum wage isnt even adjusted for inflation.
In the 50's and 60's who were you competing with on a global scale? Today, who are you competing with on a global scale?

Some of you are incredibly naive. You do understand the inflation of the 70's was a direct result of "liberal" policies including those relating to the minimum wage. The nominal minimum wage nearly double by the end of the 70's yet the chained dollar amounts (2012) were essentially the same.

1961 Chained Dollars MW - $8.64
1980 Chained Dollars MW - $8.46

Does someone need to point out employment stats and how they relate to your work force as well?

Now what were you rambling on about?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 AM

6,327 posts, read 3,568,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post

The $15 minimum wage is a vision for 2020. But he knows compromises will be made, but its not wise to go out and make compromises starting from the middle. That achieves nothing. No one does that. So with compromises, it is likely to be maybe $13.50 by 2020. That's definitely not too high. These days, the minimum wage isnt even adjusted for inflation.
Correct. That's straight from Trump's Art of the Deal book or whatever it is called. Start off with outrageous demands and when you compromise for less you get what you actually wanted.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:02 AM

29,382 posts, read 16,292,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The initial push was to stop TARP. They did it initially only to have Wall Street throw a tantrum with both Obama and McCain rushing back to revive it.

Occupy was against TARP.

Right, other than the two big ones, they don't always agree. Lol. Bernie is going after the two big ones. Once done the country will be better off and we can debate the smaller things.
Wanting to break up big banks is the right thing, being against TARP is not.

Look at it this way.

Breaking up big banks is the end result of your hard work, not the beginning. You cant just break up the banks nor can you just let them fail like some of the right and left wanted.

Letting the banks failed might have resulted in a prolonged recession and maybe millions of more jobs lost.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:38 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,323,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Correct. That's straight from Trump's Art of the Deal book or whatever it is called. Start off with outrageous demands and when you compromise for less you get what you actually wanted.
So start out with a wage that makes you irrelevant on the world stage and then move to a slightly less MW so your not quiet as irrelevant as you were before?

More naivety cloaked in "enlightenment." If you can't compete right now raising your minimum wage is the exact opposite position you need to take (unless you enjoy laughing at unemployed people). In case you folks haven't noticed wages across the globe are a two-way street. Your competetion's wages are increasing causing Americans to become slightly more competitive on the global stage. How stupid would it be for you to increase your wages because their wages are increasing?

Old 02-10-2016, 11:54 AM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Wanting to break up big banks is the right thing, being against TARP is not.
Of course it was....now, your turn, say it was.

Quote:
Look at it this way.
No.

Quote:
Breaking up big banks is the end result of your hard work, not the beginning. You cant just break up the banks nor can you just let them fail like some of the right and left wanted.
Of course you could. Voids are always filled. If the big banks had failed the smaller banks would have moved up to replace them with a valuable lesson learned as to what would happen if they allowed themselves to also become corrupt.

Quote:
Letting the banks failed might have resulted in a prolonged recession and maybe millions of more jobs lost.
Maybe....maybe.....maybe....we have never moved past that recession. We only created a bubble to please the corrupt bankers and now its popping

Old 02-10-2016, 02:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And? How does your generalization dispute that we can not break up the big banks and prosecute bankers that broke our laws?

Of course we can.
I not only wish this were possible, I'd like the Federal Reserve to be abolished. However, you compared Iceland to the U.S. with nearly 1,000 times the population. Correct me if my math is wrong, but 323,000 x 1,000 is 323,000,000. I was simply pointing out it would be a much greater, monumental challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections