Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 12:33 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Is it like because he's too conservative?

Like a total opposite of snl..
Sure, that's part of it.

But SNL has a long history of making fun of politicians from both sides. It's a comedy show, no sense in taking it seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 04:03 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Did anyone else hate that skit?
Didn't see it. Can't hate what you don't see.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:48 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Sure, that's part of it.

But SNL has a long history of making fun of politicians from both sides. It's a comedy show, no sense in taking it seriously.
I like a good parody as much as the next guy, and I'm finally getting to like this SNL cast, but this particular skit was so nasty I felt sorry for him and his little girls. They crossed that fine line between parody and really personal insult.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,968 times
Quote:
I like a good parody as much as the next guy, and I'm finally getting to like this SNL cast, but this particular skit was so nasty I felt sorry for him and his little girls. They crossed that fine line between parody and really personal insult.
well he's like the smartest and even most talented candidate there is..

Old 02-10-2016, 04:20 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Is this the one? Yes, it is nasty---and I don't even like Cruz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoue-eQstBU

Old 02-10-2016, 04:32 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
OK. That one is a bit mean and not really funny. SNL has been hit or miss and for several years it has been mainly miss. I did enjoy the Zoolander and Hansel bit on political fashion. They pretty much zinged everybody and it was funny.

[WATCH] ‘Zoolander’ on ‘Saturday Night Live’: Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson | Variety

Old 02-10-2016, 04:50 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,968 times
Yeah, that latest episode was good.. Mostly cause of the guests and was like a special occasion.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:25 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,847 times
Quote:

I didn't see it, and I think that I am happy about that.

I remember that some of the BEST ever political humor on SNL was during the Dukakis / GHW Bush race. They equally skewered both candidates, but it was in a humorous and clever way that didn't offend either side of the aisle.

Dukakis After Dark was one of THE funniest skits ever and I was a Dukakis supporter!

The debate between Dukakis (Jon Lovitz) and Bush (Dana Carvey) was truly good comedy writing.

I miss when humor was funny and not cruel!

Old 02-10-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
I didn't see it, and I think that I am happy about that.

I remember that some of the BEST ever political humor on SNL was during the Dukakis / GHW Bush race. They equally skewered both candidates, but it was in a humorous and clever way that didn't offend either side of the aisle.

Dukakis After Dark was one of THE funniest skits ever and I was a Dukakis supporter!

The debate between Dukakis (Jon Lovitz) and Bush (Dana Carvey) was truly good comedy writing.

I miss when humor was funny and not cruel!
That's exactly what I'm talking about, the way they used to parody without getting so personal. I was just a little sad that he and his little girl were parodied, but it wasn't in a way that they could watch and laugh at it. They were much better at it back in the old days. Phil Hartman's Clinton impression was good. And it was good natured on both sides, because Bush thought Dana Carvey's impression was hilarious. This cast still does that with Democrats like Obama, Hillary or Bernie Sanders, but not to Republicans.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Is this the one? Yes, it is nasty---and I don't even like Cruz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoue-eQstBU
Yep, that's the one. Maybe this is just the way society and political comedy have evolved in the age of the Internet and punditry. People are so polarized, it's little wonder the comedians are as well. The problem with some liberals today is that they can't just accept that people have a different opinion than them. It must mean they're evil. I'm sure if there were more conservatives in comedy, they would do the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections