U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:35 PM

14,209 posts, read 6,116,838 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where to put this, Arts and Entertainment, Politics and Other Controversies, or the Election forum, but I figure no one in the TV forum wants to talk about politics so it's going here.

Was anyone else really irritated with the way they spoofed Ted Cruz on Saturday Night Live last weekend? I don't even really like Cruz, but I found that skit so offensive that for the first time I felt a little sympathy and affection for him. It was so personal and negative that I felt sorry for the Cruz family, especially the children. Even Sarah Palin got better treatment than Cruz did on SNL. They made fun of his face, his body, and even had someone portraying his daughter not wanting to hug him. I don't think he or his family will be laughing at it like George H.W. Bush used to do.

In Dana Carvey's day, the impersonations were over the top, but generally kind and didn't get too personal. You still see that treatment for Donald Trump since he's portrayed by an old school SNL alum.

I have said on this forum that I don't like Cruz and that he gives me the creeps. I figured it was okay because it's an anonymous forum and highly unlikely the little Cruz girls will be confronted with my opinion in school, but SNL reaches millions of households. I wish they would think about the effect that could have on people who know and love Ted Cruz.

Did anyone else hate that skit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 09:54 PM

17,022 posts, read 8,641,986 times
Didnt see it but am well aware that snl has no class

Old 02-09-2016, 10:00 PM

13,889 posts, read 12,646,551 times
Didn't see it and never watch the show. Not surprised to hear it though. I'd imagine the producers and actors are all liberals, so it wouldn't surprise me they would be biased.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:01 PM

They used to have class. Have you ever seen them spoof Obama that way, or any way except for his policies (albiet rarely)? They were usually so over the top in their impersonations that it was parody, not insult. Dana Carvey was invited to the White House by GHW Bush because Bush loved his impersonation.

This was the first time I really felt they went too far.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:05 PM

13,832 posts, read 14,662,123 times
didn't see it either but I did see the real clip of cruz trying to hug his daughter and her not wanting a thing to do with his hug, so that they took from real life. she a teen so it didn't surprise me.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
didn't see it either but I did see the real clip of cruz trying to hug his daughter and her not wanting a thing to do with his hug, so that they took from real life. she a teen so it didn't surprise me.
She's 7, not a teen so even easier to understand since she was probably nervous. I knew about the incident, but imagine you're a kid who got spoofed on SNL and wanted to brag about that, but couldn't because it said your dad was a nasty little weasel with a horrible face, body, and voice? It was her inclusion that made it worse in my opinion.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:19 PM

3,990 posts, read 2,546,292 times
I wouldn't watch SNL if you paid me but we all know that if Cruz won it would be liberals worst nightmare. Thats why the media will do everything possible they can think of to be sure that doesn't happen.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I wouldn't watch SNL if you paid me but we all know that if Cruz won it would be liberals worst nightmare. Thats why the media will do everything possible they can think of to be sure that doesn't happen.
SNL doesn't think like that because having a Trump or Cruz would be great for them. Kind of like high gas prices are good for our local economy in Houston, even as it's bad for others.

I would think a Trump v. Cruz race would be a boon for SNL, and no matter who won they would be happy. Clinton or Kasich, not so much.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:38 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,791,229 times
I saw it...

I don't take anything SNL does too seriously.... Neither should anyone else.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:43 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,242,250 times
Is it like because he's too conservative?

Like he's a total opposite of snl..

Last edited by owl6969; 02-10-2016 at 01:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections