U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 02:15 PM

71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Nobody will ever duplicate Reagan. He was one of a kind.
and one of the best!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 02:23 PM

10,466 posts, read 3,946,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If Rush really thinks that, he is losing it big time. If for no other reason Reagan was a moderate when it came to socials, Cruz is an over the top conservative on social issue as well as everything else.
Actually, it is my sense that there are four natural "lanes" in the Republican party. These lanes are as follows:

Moderate Lane
Center-Right Lane
Conservative Lane
Libertarian Lane

It is my sense that Reagan would have been in the Center-Right lane. He was not "establishment," but he was not strictly "anti-establishment" either. The only candidate that would belong in the Center-Right lane in the current field is Marco Rubio, although I certainly would not compare Rubio to Reagan beyond them being in the same lane. Also, if Scott Walker had stayed in the race, he would have been in this lane.

Cruz is a conservative. Trump, Christie, Kasich and Bush are moderates. I have to admit I do not know Carson well enough to classify him in a lane, but I suspect it is either Conservative or Center-Right. And of course Paul was a kind of a libertarian, but not a very strict one.

Also, Reagan was very certainly pro-life and pro-family values.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:24 PM

5,382 posts, read 2,185,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Trump is as Conservative as Reagan when Reagan left the governor's mansion in California in 1974.

You really want to look Reagan's record as governor? ..raised taxes and signed a pro abortion bill in 1967.

but don't tell the purists of the party that.....they want to believe in their minds that Ronnie was a true conservative since he was crawling on the floor as a baby.

The difference between Reagan and Trump in that regard is that Reagan had a pivot point in his principles that he was able to clearly articulate. Trump is a Populist and his only concern is what is best for him to profess at any given time.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Reagan was a great conservative president. He was no Calvin Coolidge, but he has been the most conservative president to inhabit the WH since Coolidge.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:25 PM

44,352 posts, read 17,716,609 times
Didn't they say that Fred Thompson was going to be the next Ronald Reagan too?

Doesn't bode well for Cruz.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I listen to him almost every day. There is zero question he is a Trump fan. He says he doesn't endorse anybody but if you add up the time he has spent admiring Trump, without uttering the word "endorse", it dwarfs whatever he has said about Cruz. He is paying lip service to Cruz just to appear fair and balanced.
Rush and Trump are personal friends that play golf together. I feel that is the ONLY reason that Rush has not come out and formally endorsed Cruz.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:29 PM

[quote=Hellion1999;42973198]Trump is as Conservative as Reagan when Reagan left the governor's mansion in California in 1974.

He did raise taxes but only by making it mandatory everyone have income tax taken out of their paychecks. Until he took over this was not the case and many people didn't bother to report their income. He also gave us a refund when there was too much money. Yes, he signed the abortion bill. BTW, he never lived in the governors mansion.

And no, he wasn't today's conservative but he was a conservative as seen in the 60s. It was a totally different kind of conservatism.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I can't stand Rush Limbaugh, no I don't listen to him, but I would think he likes Cruz. Did he like Palin too?
He did, but I think he, like many other true conservatives have cooled on her in the last few years as her rhetoric and actions have not lived up to her original image when she entered the public stage.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:30 PM

10,466 posts, read 3,946,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Rush and Trump are personal friends that play golf together. I feel that is the ONLY reason that Rush has not come out and formally endorsed Cruz.
I disagree. The reason that Rush has not endorsed anyone is that he does not want to alienate a large portion of his audience. He is an entertainer and an educator, first and foremost. He realizes that imposing himself into this race prematurely would almost certainly hurt his credibility with a lot of his fans and also his radio show.

He will endorse either later in the primary season or during the summer when the nominee has been decided.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Didn't they say that Fred Thompson was going to be the next Ronald Reagan too?

Doesn't bode well for Cruz.
Fred Thompson was ROBBED! He was an awesome senator and Fox treated him the same way they are treating Cruz.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Fred Thompson was ROBBED! He was an awesome senator and Fox treated him the same way they are treating Cruz.
We loved him, wanted to see him continue but his dropping out had nothing to do with FOX. He didn't have the fire in the belly he needed. It was as simple as that. And yes, he was much like Reagan, certainly more so than Cruz.

As for Rush and Trump being friends, apparently this is somewhat true about O'Reilly and Trump as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections