Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 02:38 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Rush and Trump are personal friends that play golf together. I feel that is the ONLY reason that Rush has not come out and formally endorsed Cruz.
Yes, I am sure that is. NOT! Has anyone endorsed Cruz? I would think that would fall along the lines of the "kiss of death". Wait, I bet that minister that spoke about killing gays per Old Testament Law has endorsed him. Oh, I'm right! Ted Cruz boasts about endorsement from anti-gay pastor and convicted stalker and Mike Bickle who thinks that Hitler was sent by God as a hunter of Jews: Ted Cruz Defends Endorsement From Pastor Who Believes Hitler Was 'Hunter' Sent By God | ThinkProgress OK, looking for people that endorse Cruz is just frightening!

While Ted Cruz and Rush may think Cruz is another Ronald Reagan, that's a party of two. Ted Cruz Still Thinks He's Ronald Reagan. He's Still Wrong.

Other thoughts on Cruz as a Reagan want-to-be: What Ted Cruz Doesn and Stephen Colbert Calls Out Ted Cruz On Ronald Reagan's Legacy although I do believe that Cruz is planning to grant amnesty to the illegals,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 02:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Rush Limbaugh said yesterday that "Ted Cruz is the closest we’ve gotten to Ronald Reagan in our lifetimes." Other than Reagan himself, obviously.
I knew Reagan and Cruz is no Reagan.

I'm sorry, but Cruz and Rubio both look like ventriloquist dummies (and act the same).

Old 02-11-2016, 02:40 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Yes, I am sure that is. NOT! Has anyone endorsed Cruz? I would think that would fall along the lines of the "kiss of death". Wait, I bet that minister that spoke about killing gays per Old Testament Law has endorsed him. Oh, I'm right! Ted Cruz boasts about endorsement from anti-gay pastor and convicted stalker and Mike Bickle who thinks that Hitler was sent by God as a hunter of Jews: Ted Cruz Defends Endorsement From Pastor Who Believes Hitler Was 'Hunter' Sent By God | ThinkProgress OK, looking for people that endorse Cruz is just frightening!

While Ted Cruz and Rush may think Cruz is another Ronald Reagan, that's a party of two. Ted Cruz Still Thinks He's Ronald Reagan. He's Still Wrong.

Other thoughts on Cruz as a Reagan want-to-be: What Ted Cruz Doesn and Stephen Colbert Calls Out Ted Cruz On Ronald Reagan's Legacy although I do believe that Cruz is planning to grant amnesty to the illegals,
c.d.s.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:41 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Today's GOP needs to move beyond Reagan. It's like the Democrats still hammering on FDR's legacy in the 60s and 70s. Times and issues facing the country change. Reagan couldn't be elected in today's GOP. He paid lip service to the religious right but was not controlled by them and was far more moderate on a lot of issues than today's conservatives.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Actually, it is my sense that there are four natural "lanes" in the Republican party. These lanes are as follows:

Moderate Lane
Center-Right Lane
Conservative Lane
Libertarian Lane

It is my sense that Reagan would have been in the Center-Right lane. He was not "establishment," but he was not strictly "anti-establishment" either. The only candidate that would belong in the Center-Right lane in the current field is Marco Rubio, although I certainly would not compare Rubio to Reagan beyond them being in the same lane. Also, if Scott Walker had stayed in the race, he would have been in this lane.

Cruz is a conservative. Trump, Christie, Kasich and Bush are moderates. I have to admit I do not know Carson well enough to classify him in a lane, but I suspect it is either Conservative or Center-Right. And of course Paul was a kind of a libertarian, but not a very strict one.

Also, Reagan was very certainly pro-life and pro-family values.
I understand what you are saying, there are various sections within the party. I also agree about Rubio, and I think he would be like Reagan from the standpoint of working with both sides or going to the people. No, he is not a true Reagan by any means.
As for Reagan and family values, he did hold them close to his heart regardless of the family challenges he had to deal with. And pro life? Well, he did have mixed feeling after he signed abortion into law, but mainly because he felt the wording left too many loop holes and he didn't think abortions should ever be paid for using government funding, but I don't think we can go so far as to say he wasn't 100% pro life.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:58 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Today's GOP needs to move beyond Reagan. It's like the Democrats still hammering on FDR's legacy in the 60s and 70s. Times and issues facing the country change. Reagan couldn't be elected in today's GOP. He paid lip service to the religious right but was not controlled by them and was far more moderate on a lot of issues than today's conservatives.
Reagan was the last non-establishment that won the GOP nomination....that is, until Cruz wins it.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:

Cruz is a conservative.
Can't tell.

He has never had the check book to see how he spends money. Speeches don't count. We can see how Trump spends money before our eyes even though he has never been in government.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:06 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Rush and Trump are personal friends that play golf together. I feel that is the ONLY reason that Rush has not come out and formally endorsed Cruz.
That's not all. He truly relishes Trump giving it to the media. Rush has been so frustrated by the media running our candidates out of town at the slightest misstep. What cemented his support of Trump was when he didn't back away from his McCain comment.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:08 PM

99,566 posts, read 4,492,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Didn't they say that Fred Thompson was going to be the next Ronald Reagan too?

Doesn't bode well for Cruz.
They also said that Rick Perry was going to be the next Ronald Reagan.

Is Texas Gov. Rick Perry the New Reagan? | RedState

Old 02-11-2016, 04:35 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Didn't they say that Fred Thompson was going to be the next Ronald Reagan too?

Doesn't bode well for Cruz.
Except that Ted Cruz has a very long history and record of being a Conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections