U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Once again, not everyone has one candidate they support at this juncture of the election cycle. Some do not make that decision until they are in the voting booth. This is not unusual. A very large chunk of the voters who do have someone they are pretty sure they will vote for say they are not firm in their choice and may still change their mind, depending on what happens. Not everyone latches on to one candidate, especially when there are many reasonable choices.

Frankly, as a Trump fan you ought to be glad for all that uncertainty and hope it continues. If there are just one or two non-Trump options left after March 1 his 33% of the vote may not be enough to be declared the winner. He is unlikely to gain a larger percentage. Trump's unfavorability rate is between 55-60%, depending on the poll, and when the strength of that unfavorability is measured Trump has the highest percentage that classify it as strong unfavorability. Those voters will not switch to Trump in the primary, and possibly even in the general election. I would think you would be cheering on Bush, as he is the only candidate whose unfavorability rate gets anywhere near Trump's.
Thanks for re-stating. Many of these posters have been posting here forever and you'd think they'd remember. Your post should be a sticky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 06:31 AM

14,740 posts, read 10,639,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
It's funny how different people perceive things. My uncle is a POW and did not take offense to the comment as he knew exactly what Trump was saying. A life long only vote Democrat - also a POW and he's not insulted but you are because you perceived the comment differently and in a different context.
My father, who highly dislikes McCain and who had both soldiers under his command and friends who were POWs, took huge offense to it. Huge. My husband who was wounded and is now retired found it offensive. There is no way to call POWs losers because they got caught and it not be offensive. So please, explain to me what Trump was saying other than POWs are losers.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:32 AM

5,601 posts, read 4,940,494 times
While it is true that some people may not be sure who they are voting for at this point, I'm sure a large percentage of those who spend an inordinate amount of time bashing Trump just don't want to expose their preferred candidate to the same scrutiny and criticism they heap on Trump.

I don't mind an honest exchange of ideas when discussing politics, but this continual sniping is counter-productive. Trump supporters for the most part are firm in their support and no amount of fabricated and slanted smears is going to change their minds. So what is the point? It seems as though the continual insults and smears just feed the hate of fellow haters. That's just the way I see it.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:51 AM

14,676 posts, read 9,733,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
i might post from inside the usf sundome
do it!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:54 AM

14,676 posts, read 9,733,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Have you not watched any of his rallies? Most are streamed on the internet and on all three news networks along with Cspan.
Nobody said we can't watch Trump any way we want. The point is finally one of "us" will actually be there. Of course, if he'd come back with negative stories you'd be all for him to post from the inside.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 42,008,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Frankly, as a Trump fan you ought to be glad for all that uncertainty and hope it continues. If there are just one or two non-Trump options left after March 1 his 33% of the vote may not be enough to be declared the winner. He is unlikely to gain a larger percentage. Trump's unfavorability rate is between 55-60%, depending on the poll, and when the strength of that unfavorability is measured Trump has the highest percentage that classify it as strong unfavorability. Those voters will not switch to Trump in the primary, and possibly even in the general election. I would think you would be cheering on Bush, as he is the only candidate whose unfavorability rate gets anywhere near Trump's.
I think that's Trump's unfavorability among the general population not the Republican primary voting population. His favorability among Republicans I think is around 55%. He could gain a bit of extra support if candidates drop out, maybe 40%. But there's no sign the other Republican candidates will drop out soon, anyway.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
While it is true that some people may not be sure who they are voting for at this point, I'm sure a large percentage of those who spend an inordinate amount of time bashing Trump just don't want to expose their preferred candidate to the same scrutiny and criticism they heap on Trump.
In my case there are three candidates left that I am waiting to see who emerges to decide who I will support and one I will live with if he ends up being the nominee. Any of those four could slip into my "no way" list like Christie did after the debate. There is one left I hope will drop out soon because he simply isn't qualified. There is however one thing I am sure about, no way woukd I vote for Trump. So I am not sure of who I will vote for but I am positive of who I won't vote for.

I don't need you to point out the flaws of who I might eventually support, I already know they are there and it is part of the reason I haven't made up my mind. Chances are I agree with some of your criticisms, they just don't send out as many red flags for me as Trump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I don't mind an honest exchange of ideas when discussing politics, but this continual sniping is counter-productive. Trump supporters for the most part are firm in their support and no amount of fabricated and slanted smears is going to change their minds. So what is the point? It seems as though the continual insults and smears just feed the hate of fellow haters. That's just the way I see it.
The anti-Trump people aren't trying to convince the Trump fans not to vote for him, you are correct in that is pretty much a lost cause. What the anti-Trump posters are trying to make sure is that the undecided voters who might be reading the thread are aware of the reasons not to vote for Trump.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think that's Trump's unfavorability among the general population not the Republican primary voting population. His favorability among Republicans I think is around 55%. He could gain a bit of extra support if candidates drop out, maybe 40%. But there's no sign the other Republican candidates will drop out soon, anyway.
At least one of those polls was based on likely Republican voters. The thing about Trump is that very few people feel neutral about him, they either love him or hate him. In his case, my 55-60% unfavorable rate and your 30-40% favorable rate are not in conflict.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
Trump himself is bringing about the negative posts here. I'm watching him now and could throw the laptop my expensive HDTV. Anyone watch his rally from last night SC? Absolutely incredible how unstatemanlike and childish this 70 yr old dude is. Now I can see the extreme hatred people have for Obama. I feel the same way about Trump.

BTW, he's still boasting about being against OIF.

Donald Trump overstates his early opposition to the Iraq War | PolitiFact

Old 02-12-2016, 07:43 AM

72,027 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I early voted today in person and voted for Trump and 14 delegates.

Since I have been living in Tennessee, this is the first time my presidential primary pick was still in the race when it was time for me to vote.

On a negative note, only a handful of geezers like myself were at the voting location, early voting. It started yesterday.
I'm smiling cause, for us, pretty much the same thing. Until this year AR had their primary in May. We would just vote for our favorite candidate knowing he was long gone. This time our primary is on Super Tues. We will probably vote early voting next week when It opens. We usually have a huge turnout here for early voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or